Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Ski purchase advise needed...

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi Snowheads! A couple of my mates are big on this forum so thought I would give it a go. I hear you guys are very knowledgable and am currently making a crucial decision for my ski future...purchasing skis!

I am an intermediate-to-advanced skiier - spend 2 to 3 weeks on the piste a winter. Currently on a piste ski (hand me down Stocklis received from gf's family - yes they're Swiss!), but want something more all-mountain. Less than 100 under-foot desireable (I've heard some fat skis are good on piste but remain sceptical!). Currently looking at Rossi Bandits, but don't really know too much about skis having never really tested any.

Budget is roughly £500. I know nothing about bindings so any further advice on this would also be great.

I look forward to some much needed advice!
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
There's quite a few options but these are a few of my favourite..

Salomon equipe 24hour
Skied on this for one day, performs best on wide turns but it'll do pretty much everything on piste, I really enjoyed it! Off piste, its 72mm so It'll do a bit but don't expect it to act like a fat boy!
£399 with bindings.
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/2010-Salomon-24-HOURS-Skis-178--w/-Z12-Bindings_W0QQitemZ190374854282QQcmdZViewItem?rvr_id=&rvr_id=&cguid=a2a92ec31250a0e201e68f16fd7c1817#ht_1250wt_863

Salomon Shogun
Never skied on this, but the reviews seem to speak for themselves, its one I've really wanted to try out but not had to chance to yet. Its 100mm at the waste which makes it great in powder but according to reviews is still pretty decent on piste!
£464 with bindings
http://www.sailandski.co.uk/acatalog/Salomon_2010_Shogun_Skis___Z12_Bindings.html

K2 Apache Xplorer
Not skiied on this either but I like K2 and so I suppose that makes me a bit biased Twisted Evil at 84mm in the waste, it should take to off piste conditions pretty easily, I have found K2 Apaches seem to prefer long gliding turns compared to short fast turns, they have excellent composure at speed though.
£415 with bindings
http://www.sailandski.co.uk/acatalog/K2_Xplorer_Skis___Marker_MX_12.0_Bindings_2010.html

You have got the option of the Bandits, but for me the new range really does not inspire me, I loved the old bandits and still have a pair of 2007 B2's which I adore, but if I had to replace.. I would choose to buy a second hand pair of the same skis.

At this time in the year, make sure you haggle as there are some amazing deals if you search around and bargain a bit!

Right now I've got a quiver of three.. K2 Hellbent, Rossi Bandit B2's, Rossi Scratch
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Dynastar Sultan 85's for pure all mountain fun, but tell us a bit more about what you like to ski, what you want to ski, and how you ski first...
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
danno_c1
Welcome to snowheads!

Although it might be a tad over-budget, have you looked at the K2 Kung Fujas? I've also heard good things about the Dynastar Legend Sultan.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Cheers for the feedback guys - to answer Clarky's q, I am a good piste skier who over the last couple of seasons has started to venture off piste more-and-more. I have started to love the powder, but my skis have been drowned by it. I am therefore looking for something that does not give too much away in on piste performance, but will help me advance off piste.

In terms of style, I ski pretty quickly on piste and enjoy carving. I am also quite adventurous - I do like to try new stuff even if it's a little bit beyond my ability. I guess a ski that would be quite durable would be useful in that sense...

I thought now might be a good time to look with 2010s gear starting to come down in price - any ideas?
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Sounds liek the Sultan 85 would be perfect for you then - 85mm floats better than you expect* (poss due to a pretty big shovel), shapely sidecut carves well on piste, nice and stiff for speed. Only thing it falls down on is edge grip when the pistes get (properly) icy.

*It's more like a Mythic Rider that's better on piste than a L8k that's got better off, if that makes sense?
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Maybe consider the Salomon XW Fury, nice ski although Salomon have a few reports on delamination.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
+1 dstar sultan 85....

okbye
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Thanks guys - off to my local ski centre tonight so will be sure to check out the Dynstar Sultan 85 and Salomon XW Fury.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
VOLKL MANTRA!!!!
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Snowtrax is near you, they have scott missions and k2 explorers with bindings on good deals, and probably some other stuff aswell.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Scott Neo : 124 - 83 - 113, good 50/50 ski, and you can get them for about £400
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
yeah +1 for snowtrax at christchurch
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Try Salomon Tornado TI, 78mm underfoot, I love them.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy