Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Lift Safe Rucksacks

Poster: A snowHead
I'm looking for a new rucksack after 2 rather unpleasant experiences being unable to get off a chairlift ( albeit the older kind with springs on the rear of the safety bars) basically the straps got caught despite a lot of care after the first incident and a boll%cking from the liftie it happened again on another lift a few days later!.
The rucksack concerned is a Switch Osprey 16 , so I'd like some recommendations for a small rucksack that doesnt have strap problems and will hold a bladder, camera , spare fleece and a few odds and sods.
Its really not fun not being able to get off the chair, facing down the hill and feeling a right Tw@t ! So your help/suggestions would be appreciated.

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Thu 11-03-10 20:19; edited 2 times in total
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
marksovereign, use what you've got but take it off before you get on. Simples.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
marksovereign,

Standby for some incoming from the "daysack haters" there is a whole thread elsewhere about their use in gondolas etc.

Not sure which part of your daysack is always catching? the waist strap? shoulder straps? side straps? or something else?

A pet hate of mine is loose straps all over the place - i suppose the Army drum these things into you. Could this be the cause?

My daysack usually stays on my back when the chair isnt full or my day sack is not bulging - on the occasions that it is i just unslip one arm and pull it round to the front - simples.

Currrently using a old Vaude 22l but will be splashing out on an Ortovox on BD for the next season.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
matricks,
Its the waist strap or rather the loose bit of strap - the osprey has twin straps rather than one thick waist strap
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
marksovereign, so despite getting stuck (and b0llocked) you ignored the usual instructions to take the backpack off on the chair for a second time and got stuck ...... again.

I'm surprised you're admitting to this in a public place. Laughing
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
marksovereign,

You could try fitting a triglide - ive got them on my bergen and they prevent loose end flapping around:
http://www.acesupplies.co.uk/acatalog/triglide_.html

failing that just adjust to a comfortable fit and tape them up, you can leave in a bit of slack to enable you to tighten if required - though unless you are placing a hefty weight in the daysack the function of the waiststrap is there merely to stop it rotating as opposed to transferring weight from the shoulders to the hips. So you need not worry to much about loosing adjustment.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
If you've got massive bits of dangling strap when they're tightened correctly, just cut off (some) of the excess - make sure you burn/melt the edge after htough to stop it fraying.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Maybe the sack needs a new owner
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
clarky999 wrote:
If you've got massive bits of dangling strap when they're tightened correctly, just cut off (some) of the excess - make sure you burn/melt the edge after htough to stop it fraying.

Wait for it a silly question rolling eyes
I have a lot of dangly bits hanging off my Dakine rucksack so what/how do I burn/melt the ends or should I take it to the local old fashioned cobbler to stitch for me?
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Lizzard wrote:
marksovereign, so despite getting stuck (and b0llocked) you ignored the usual instructions to take the backpack off on the chair for a second time and got stuck ...... again.

I'm surprised you're admitting to this in a public place. Laughing

It must be very wearing being totally perfect ! My point is that despite being very careful it happened again so either a. the sack has a design flaw or b. im better taking it off on lifts or c. i buy a new smaller sack
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Linds, I think it likely that we all have dangly bits but it really isn't a problem worth troubling your local cobbler over.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
marksovereign, suggest (b). Which could explain why there's usually a sign recommending this option at the bottom of the chairlifts, though obviously that's just a wild stab in the dark.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Linds wrote:
clarky999 wrote:

Wait for it a silly question rolling eyes
I have a lot of dangly bits hanging off my Dakine rucksack so what/how do I burn/melt the ends or should I take it to the local old fashioned cobbler to stitch for me?

Cut it with a knife, then run a lighter along the widther of the end until the plastic/threads melt and fuse together. Make sure you leave enough slack for any adjustments you might need though. I've never needed to do it on a ski bag, but have ahd to do it on the chest harness on every bouyancy aid I've owned.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Never had any problems despite using 2 packs with lots of dangly straps. You have to make sure you are not tangled before you get to the top. But otherwise trim straps as per clarky999,
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
marksovereign, how about 1 of these?

I used one on both my trips this year, and it was excellent.
snow report
if your waist straps are getting caught - and I assume here the problem is that the clips are getting caught, as I can't see how a strap would get caught - then the easiest solution is to FASTEN THEM. You should alwasys fasten the waist strap, the hips should take the weight of the sack an the shoulder straps would then stop the bag from falling away from your back - too may people rely entirely on the should straps. I've never had a problem with a properly fitted rucksack on a chairlift
latest report
nbt wrote:
if your waist straps are getting caught - and I assume here the problem is that the clips are getting caught, as I can't see how a strap would get caught - then the easiest solution is to FASTEN THEM. You should alwasys fasten the waist strap, the hips should take the weight of the sack an the shoulder straps would then stop the bag from falling away from your back - too may people rely entirely on the should straps. I've never had a problem with a properly fitted rucksack on a chairlift

Do people actually ski without doing the straps up?
ski holidays
clarky999, Yes, you see it all the time rolling eyes
latest report
DaddyLouLou wrote:
marksovereign, how about 1 of these?

I used one on both my trips this year, and it was excellent.

Interesting. But, as they say on Dragons' Den, an over-engineered solution to a problem that doesn't really exist.
ski holidays
i rarely use the waist strap but i do always clip it up and arrange it so that it is out of the way.
my ski pack is rarely heavy enough for the waist strap to be of much benefit
in answer to the OP's question: take the pack off on chairlifts
snow report
Ortovox make packs with no external straps - great for lifts.
ski holidays
DaddyLouLou, that looks brilliant.
ski holidays
I've used a Dakine Heli Pack for two weeks so far, its been great, never had a problem in lifts or anything similar, its a bit small.. so i'm going to get a Dakine Baker pack in the sales this summer for next season.
snow report
What is this whole 'lift problem'? I've worn a backpack for the last 10 years, currently use a dakine model. Never got it stuck on a lift and never been asked to take it off. I just tie up the loose straps so they don't dangle everywher and ski in it. never take it off in gondolas NehNeh or lifts. never had a problem? Puzzled
snow report
Axsman, Same, I always wear my pack (never know when you might spot a tempting line offpiste wink ), never taken it off for a lift (never seen signs or been asked to either!) and never got stuck or had problems...
snow conditions
I always ski with a day sack (more out of habit from skiing off-piste than anything else) and have never had a problem on lifts. I think the secret is to keep the rucksack you use as compact as possible. I have used lots of different ones in the past (mainly Karrimor) but my favourite current model is a 25L daysack from Tesco for about £11! It just goes to show that you don't always have to spend lots of money to get a good product.
ski holidays
marksovereign, look for climbing rucksacks; most of the modern ones (since about 1999) have as few external snag-straps as possible.
ski holidays
The only time I ever got a pack caught is when it was being carried. When on all the straps are done up so there is nothing to catch and I've caught lifts all over the place with my pack on.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Well, the straps do up on the front, and so all the dangly bits too... surely taking packs off with loose straps makes them more likely to get caught?
snow conditions
Quote:

What is this whole 'lift problem'? I've worn a backpack for the last 10 years, currently use a dakine model. Never got it stuck on a lift and never been asked to take it off

Me too! I suspect the lifties have a built-in "muppet-spotter" and can tell if someone looks like they might cause trouble, then ask them to take the sack off.
snow report
marksovereign, I'm very happy with the BCA Stash H20 Compact. It's smaller than the general-puropse tardis I used to carry around, and does the job just as well. The low profile means it's no more a problem on chairs than a back-protector under your jacket.
ski holidays
Dakine Heli Pro, worn for last 5 years, always wear it on lifts, never caught up. Was asked a couple of times to remove it in Italy but never in France, Andorra or US. Always make sure no danglies at the back before use

Only drawback is it means you sit forward on seat. Means you have to duck under the bar as it comes down. I just hold the bar or the back of the seat when the bar goes up if exposed
latest report
madmole wrote:
Only drawback is it means you sit forward on seat. Means you have to duck under the bar as it comes down. I just hold the bar or the back of the seat when the bar goes up if exposed

That's the real reason why I wear a helmet Toofy Grin
snow report
wow, what a tool question. if you have a problem negotiating this tricky hurdle take it off.
ski holidays
PinoP, certainly has the "whiff of berk" about it.
ski holidays
clarky999 wrote:
Well, the straps do up on the front, and so all the dangly bits too... surely taking packs off with loose straps makes them more likely to get caught?

100% correct Cool
ski holidays
The only time I've got a pack caught on a chairlift was a time I took it off. I have to be careful with the bar if I'm sat on the right so just put my hand straight up to stop people bringing it down the moment everyone's sat down.

TallTone, surely you have to watch your head on chairs regardless of whether you're wearing a bag or not Toofy Grin
snow report
Lizzard wrote:

Where might one find these "usual instructions"?

I've never seen any, other than from a few self-righteous people on here.

Incidentally, I have always worn a small day sack, I have never taken it off on a chairlift, and I have never had any part of it catch in anything on a chairlift.
latest report
Lizzard wrote:
marksovereign, suggest (b). Which could explain why there's usually a sign recommending this option at the bottom of the chairlifts, though obviously that's just a wild stab in the dark.

The fact that there isn't usually any such sign does tend to indicate it could be a stab in the dark Smile

It might be common in France (I've never skied in France so wouldn't know), but I certainly have never seen any such sign anywhere I have skied.
snow report
If you are a really tough off piste kind of dude your pack should be so big and full of essential safety equipment that there is no way you can wear in on the lift. Or maybe that's the wanna be really tough off piste kind of dude. Or maybe it was just the tosser I got to ride a lift with last year who spent the whole way up telling me where he had been and where he was going to go next. Unfortunately he did not get his straps caught and managed to live and bore people for another day. Twisted Evil

Maybe I should get a life. Less than three months till opening day.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy