Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

For ****'s Sake, Let's Fill Up Chairlifts

Poster: A snowHead
Just back from the Zillertal. Other than Hintertux, it's over 20 years since I skied there. I was really impressed by the linked ski areas and fast lift systems - but seriously unimpressed by fellow skiers and lift attendants complete unwillingness to fill up chairlifts when there were hefty queues.

What is the point of putting in 6 and 8 person chairs and then letting them go up half full - or less?? AAAAAAGH Mad While waiting in one queue at Mayrhofen I counted 20 out of 40 chairs going up unfilled. A query from a fellow snowHead as to why he couldn't encourage people to fill up the chairs was met with a laugh.

And what, exactly, do people fear about sharing skilifts with strangers??
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
For some people its not all about how many runs they can get in in a day. It can be about spending time with their family members which would probably involve all the time spent on lifts.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
mountainaddict, I do love singles lanes, when skiing in a group we often use them as it's quicker then waiting for the crowds to decide when they want to get on.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Depends on who is at the front of queue, I certainly wouldn't either send or leave my 6 year old just to fill up a chair, would youmountainaddict, ?
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I'm not sitting on a chair next to a snowboarder - that's just asking to be taken out! Wink
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
That was just a joke. I hate people who cant share a gondola...say we are two and they are two but they wont get in a four person gondola rolling eyes
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Shimmy Alcott, yeah well you wouldn't want to mix with people from Cheshire wink
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Boris, Laughing thanks
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I hate people who spread all their gear around in the gondola rendering it impossible to get in at the middle station without seriously spraining your legs. MOVE OVER FFS
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
At new year I was sat next to a bloke with skis on, on the chair, and he just had his legs spread so wide apart over my skis, d i c k. Not just a bit, I am super chilled on my ski hol so much goes over my head...but this guy was just unbelievable.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
in order to make teh whole chair lift efficinet and balanced, you have to spread the number of skiers out across the chairs, hence in quieter times it is impossible to achieve this if you fill the chairs up, because this will make some empty and you run the risk of teh qhole system becoming unbalanced
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
P.S. If you fill up the chairs, then how will i get on with my rucksack on ?????????
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Single lanes, nope! We need lanes for annual pass holders snowHead
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Shimmy Alcott, these guys will try anything to touch your tips!
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
sev112, Dont worry, I will shove it so far up your a r s e you will have better things to worry about
snow conditions
Boredsurfing wrote:
Single lanes, nope! We need lanes for annual pass holders snowHead
Too right!!!
ski holidays
Shimmy Alcott,

Very pleasant Crying or Very sad
snow report
sev112, I wouldnt really, I'm very lovely
snow conditions
I've had some great conversations on chairs; last year I chatted to a French guy on a chairlift and then met him a day or two later in the telecabine. My very "English" friends were all for setting off the rumours when he greeted me with a typical French "embrace" on both cheeks Embarassed Laughing
snow report
Butterfly, Laughing
ski holidays
sure i'll share the chairlift but no way are you getting a toke of my spliff man....

okbye
snow conditions
sev112, I don't really think so. (spreading them out.)

mountainaddict, it's actually worse practice than those gits who don't take their back packs off. Gets right on my t1ts,
snow report
garethjomo, granted, but at the exclusion of others? Don't think so.

A little bit of common sense and common curtsey can go a long way to reducing both queues and tempers.
snow conditions
The funniest thing about the half-full chairlifts problem (and it is a problem, no question) is that on numerous occasions I've seen people tut and swear at the people who are the ones on the half empty lift.

WTF? They're the ones doing the right thing.

"Hey nobhead, need that lift to yourself eh?"

Er no, if that guy hadn't got on it, it would actually be empty!

I must say though, when I'm snowboarding, and unless there is a queue, I will wait (within reason) until I can get on a chairlift where I'm in with a fighting chance of having an empty chair on at least one side of me. Unless I ever see HH out there, in which case I'm deliberately wiping her out.
snow report
paulio, wouldn't you just love the chance to get me flat on my back lol
snow conditions
ah under a new name, i was wondering who might respond to my little wind up wink
snow report
Holding up a queue is pretty rude though, eh. Like the snooty inconsiderate bint on the bus out of Gatwick Long Stay last week who got on a half full bus with a massive suitcase, and just stood with it in the vestibule blocking the doorway, with her inbred pointy nose in the air, looking like her shite doesn't stink, while the rest of us stood in the 4am drizzle wondering why we couldn't get onto a bus that had at least space for a dozen more punters.

Mind you, she was with that velvet trousered arsehole I mentioned elsewhere, so it's not that surprising.

Skiing toffs, everyone!
snow conditions
paulio, what is this "bus" you speak of? Puzzled
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
It's a form of basic municpal transport, for peons and their flea-bitten ilk.

Goodness only knows what the silken velour-clad chattering classes were doing on it. Maybe the sale of their cold and unwelcoming castle fell through, or they'd spent all their money on heroin and wigs.
snow conditions
Quote:

For some people its not all about how many runs they can get in in a day. It can be about spending time with their family members which would probably involve all the time spent on lifts.

I am speechless......Do they also ski down in one of those cuddled together train things to maximise time spent together Puzzled
latest report
It is only a problem if there are large queues. However, it is surely up to the lifties to sort this out. When I was in Banff it was someone's job to corral people in the queue into the right number of people for the lift so that they were filled up. They had a very efficient singles queue from which to make up full lifts. If you wanted to travel up together you linked up with your mates/family/good looking stranger and shuffled along with them letting others through who would make up numbers. But of course, this only happened at the times of the day when there were massive queues. I have never, ever, seen this happen in any of the European resorts I have been too. It is all self policed with lifities being very unconcerned about it.

I find the most irritating thing is when you are lined up in a lift gate at maximum capacity and two (or more) people hang back when the gate opens leaving the others to move forward on their own! If the people behind are in a mamixum line then all they can do is let the laggards onto the next lift.
ski holidays
Tiger2 wrote:
I have never, ever, seen this happen in any of the European resorts I have been too. It is all self policed with lifities being very unconcerned about it.

At half term in the 3V the lifties were very keen to fill all the chairs (and gondolas).
snow report
garethjomo wrote:

I don't have a problem with that. But what I really hate is when a couple of people get to the gate and then turn around looking for their mates or relatives and block the loading of the lift. People should have their passes taken away for doing that.
ski holidays
RobW wrote:
Tiger2 wrote:
I have never, ever, seen this happen in any of the European resorts I have been too. It is all self policed with lifities being very unconcerned about it.

At half term in the 3V the lifties were very keen to fill all the chairs (and gondolas).

And my observations in Zermatt suggest that, true to their national stereotype, the well-mannered and highly organised Swiss ensure that almost all the chairs are filled without any need to be chivvied along by lifties.

The trouble is that full lifts mean busy pistes. You can't win.
snow report
PJSki wrote:
garethjomo wrote:

I don't have a problem with that. But what I really hate is when a couple of people get to the gate and then turn around looking for their mates or relatives and block the loading of the lift. People should have their passes taken away for doing that.

Or the ones who do the same at the pass barrier and then lose their mates in the short distance between there and the lift gate Shocked Skullie
snow report
I wonder whether us Brits are particularly bad at this. We seem to have this innate repulsion to sharing a space with a stranger and conversing with them.

Next time, try sharing a lift with a stranger and talking to them. Most Europeans do speak some English, else it might be a chance to try some of your pigeon French/ German too. You might find that the stranger doesn't actually scam you or punch you in the face and mug you, but holds a decent and interesting conversation!
snow report
bum wrote:
I wonder whether us Brits are particularly bad at this. We seem to have this innate repulsion to sharing a space with a stranger and conversing with them.

Next time, try sharing a lift with a stranger and talking to them. Most Europeans do speak some English, else it might be a chance to try some of your pigeon French/ German too. You might find that the stranger doesn't actually scam you or punch you in the face and mug you, but holds a decent and interesting conversation!

I think you're partially right here. It's a bit like the 'rule' about to speaking to strangers on Transport for London.
snow report
I try to avoid going up next to a novice looking boarded - I don't want to be taken out on arrival! Even more nervous now after an experience of being lined up with 4 others for a 6 man chair. 2 of the 4 were boarders and the last was a small child. Boarders fail to shuffle forwards appropriately (lack of competence/laziness) and get on the lift early and sprawl across it. There is now nowhere for me or unrelated small child to sit. Lifties rugby tackle me and child to floor so lift passes over our heads - then help us up, get us organised and on the chair about 3 later! Didn't really appreciate having to go up lift with only a small child for company as I don't like heights or having to be responsible for lowering and raising the bar. I like to get on, have the bar brought down and hold on nice and tightly!

Since then, I'm a bit nervy about getting on a chair with lots of boarders - if the lifties hadn't been on the ball, it would have been pretty painful!
ski holidays
Does anyone remember that guy last year who was photographed hanging upside down by his pants on the chair? Wouldn´t want to share with him Laughing
ski holidays
bum wrote:

nah....what the Brits are really bad is queuing for lifts. European stylee queuing is all about finding a gap and filling it, and if you can't find a gap shove your elbows out, your skis forward, create a gap then fill it. British style is all about finding the point in the queue furthest from the front and standing behind it. I use the word queue loosely here of course - it is a mass of people that is, say, 40 people wide at the back and trying to funnel itself down to an organised set of lines 4 wide. No wonder groups get seperated causing the issue under discussion in this thread. Queues really do \bring out the worst behavious (mainland europeans pushing and shoving and Brits complaining - cos thy're no good at it!)
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy