Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

70% on, 15% off, 15% in the park. what ski'll do that?

Poster: A snowHead
emphasis on the 70% on piste.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Mainly piste:
Rossi B2 (or maybe next year's B3)
Volkl 5*

All round:
K2 Public Enemy
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
i'd thought the B1 will do better on piste..
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
enoch, the B2 is good on piste. The first year of the B1s really were piste only, and to be honest, from what I heard, they weren't that good on piste!
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
oh
thanks!
any other skis that'll fit into that catagory?
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Volkl Vertigo Motion, but seeing as they don't make it any more have a look at the 724 PRO.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I thought the '06 B3 looked too wide to be a great piste ski. Appearances can be deceptive...

Forgive my ignorance though but apart from twin tips what needs to be special for the park? Anything will work surely?
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
for park skis, depending on your ability, you'll need to be able to ski and/or land backwards, hence twin tips!
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Puzzled
Quote:

apart from twin tips what needs to be special for the park

So, gregh, apart from twin tips what else do you need? snowHead
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
that was my way of agreeing with you Wink

I guess you'd also need some extra/different flex to absorb landings?????
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
gregh, aha, sorry, didn't read that properly then did I?

I'm not entirely sure how ski flex would act to absorb (mis) landings but both my skis and boots have anti vibration systems, so maybe shock absorbers will be the next big thing?
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Volkl 5* are spot on for piste - reasonable off-piste, but bit stiff when landing !, may want to look at the 4* as a bit of a softer choice
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
- current models only. I know Oz gets 2006 models a bit earlier -

I like:
Elan M555 (nee M10), M02
Dynastar Troublemaker
Volkl V-Pro, V-Ex

With the concerns about base durability already expressed on this board, I would NOT consider the * series for park use.

Not tried (but might wish to):
Certain K2s (you've heard from WTFH on these)
Head Mojo series.
Stockli Snake
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Anyone tried Volkl 5* off-piste?

On-piste their grrrrreat, and I almost bought them for that, but I wasn't sure about their 68mm waist ( tho' I guess I've been off-piste on skis narrower than that less than a decade ago) and their relative stiffness for off-piste use.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
i started last season with 5*'s and coped well on them off-piste. They are quite stiff and a bit narrow in the waste but certainly not impossible in the powder. Mid way thru the season i treated myself to a new pair of PE's, and what a revelation! They work well on and off piste, as well as in the park. They dont have the smallest radius but are quite fun to mess around on piste. If i had to choose between the two, I would keep the K2's, but I like the fact I can have a choice. My wife has last seasons B2's and she loves them. I have demo'd them and i have to say they are a great ski - indeed if I had to choose an all-rounder they might just edge it over the PE's. I also liked the troublemakers (though they are a softer ski than the PE with a tighter radius) and a friend of mine swears by his 724's.
snow conditions
aus gets 2006 gear earlier? Puzzled
ski holidays
so...australia gets 2006 skis earlier?!
ski holidays
enoch, wouldn't know, all I see is somehow all the new ski data available to end consumers comes from Oz first:

http://www.bumps.com.au/SKIS/Volkl_05/SKESKVO.htm

Of course, it could just be a tiny market and they're not worried about sell-through of existing stock? Wink

Truly, I think your 2005 skis would be badged 2005/06 here.
ski holidays
enoch, I've been using this years B2s in about the distribution that you suggested above, and I've been loving them.
ski holidays
hey thanks!
ok three choices...

B2 (or B1), scratch (or FS) and 1080.

which one will satisfy that?
maybe, 65% on, 20% park and 15% off.
thanks!
snow report
NOT THE 1080.
ski holidays
haha WTFH, im prob gonna get the B1.
ahh cant wait till my season starts. only 3 more months!
latest report
YES the 1080, defo worth testing.
latest report
enoch, from what I've heard about the B1 it's mostly an on-piste ski, and not a great one at that. From what I was told (and I admit to never having tried them), they were invented to fulfil a need to have a type of Bandit to market as an entry level ski, and not much more than that. IMHO the B2 is definitely the one to have as the true all-mountain ski in the range.
snow conditions
I've used my B2's in the beginners park, they have a slight upturn on the rear but not a true twin tip. Great fun tho snowHead
snow conditions
nice
what other skis have a upturned tail but not a twin tip?
ski holidays
Elan M444, M555, M666, most noticeably, but you might find what you're looking for among the Dynastar Legends or Blizzard Sigmas or Nordica SUVs as well. For my own part I prefer both, mostly a preference for feminine skis I imagine. rolling eyes
snow report
I think that you only really need a twin tip if you're likely to be landing jumps fakey, otherwise they're only really useful to make rooster tails to cover people in snow with.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Kramer, thats why i want one! Very Happy
im looking at the metron m:8. will that be good for an intermediate?
snow conditions
enoch, if you can land jumps fakey then I hardly think that you're an intermediate. I've never tried the metrons of any type so I can't comment.
ski holidays
nonono
not land fakey
i want to spray snow to cover people with
snow report
enoch, in that case B2s will suit your needs.
snow report
LINE Assassins!

The MTX is slightly narrower (76mm underfoot) or the MTX Pro is 80mm. They're awesome all over the mountain.
ski holidays
Why not try out the Salomon 1080's?
They are a very good all round ski and also have twin tips and would be very good in the park. For what you want them for, i would have thought these would be the perfect choice.

I also skied the B2's this year and was very impressed, although they may not be as good in the park as the 1080's. Another ski that i tested was the Atomic M:11 which i found to be a very good, versatile ski, but you had to work it hard to get the best out of it and i'm not sure how good it would be in the park.
snow report
I ski on Rossi Bandit B1's and truely believe they are the best allround ski on the market for most of the people most of the time. Yes, there are definately better ski's for powder and blasting the hardpack, and yes, they are suitable for early intermediates. However, the B1 is also suitable right up to instructor level and WILL take you anywhere on the mountain you choose, if you up for it.

I've read many comments on this forum describing the B1 as a beginners ski and an on-piste only ski. These people need to get there heads out of the snow and actually think about what most skiers actually do on holiday and how they ski. Yes the Metron B5, Apache Recon, Stockl XL, Fischer RX7 etc may all be great skis and very good at what they do, but are they really that good for most people ... I'd say no.

I used 2002 Salomon Crossmax 10's for years until what some would call "downgrading" to the Rossi B1's. The Crossmax 10 that year was heralded the go anywhere King of Skis, but my Rossi B1's do all the Crossmax's ever did and more, with a grin on your face all day long.

Any comments ... especially from those who've actually tried the B1's, rather than just read the marketing blurb! Daily Mail Ski and Snowboard Magazine reviewed the B1's last year as clear winners in both on and off-piste skiing for intermediate freeride. They actually said that they couldn't understand why Rossignol were underplaying the clear off-piste ability of the B1's - and that maybe it was to try and sell more of there apparently more off-piste suitable B2's. The B1 is stiffer and livelier than the relatively damp B2, and although narrower waisted, has enough spring in it's step to allow you to bounce around in the powder with an all day long grin ... Very Happy

Let me know what you think.

Nog.

Rossi B1 170cm, Rossi Bandit Elite Boots, in Vald'Isere, Aprica, and Trois Valleys this season.
snow conditions
nog, good point well made. I've never tried the B1 as I was told that it would not be suitable for my standard of skiing. I tried the B2s and K2 Apache recons back to back, and preferred the B2s, so that is what I bought. I do think that what you say about most people buying skis without thinking about where they are going to be using them is true, and I have to say that this season I have tended to go off piste more and more of the time. Whether that is because of improvements in my ability or because of the skis, I don't know.

I have used Crossmax 10s in the past, and I didn't really like them all that much.
latest report
yeah the B1 sounds like the right ski for me, ill prob put Look p10s on them. however, i want to do jumps as well. not big air, just small kickers and hang around the beginner/intermediate park. prob no rails and no pipes. i was told that the B1 wont handlt landings that well, and it'll delaminate. so it's reall hard to decide, coz i cant exactly demo them and see if it'll delaminate or how well it'll last me etcetc
snow report
I would look at the Line Freeride skis, they are a twin tip but they are not focused solely on the park, they are more of an all mountain ski. My friend has bought himself a pair of Line Assasins and he loves them. He has skied on Rossi 9s for god knows how long but he is totally diggin his lines.
If you get the Line Reactor bindings you can use them like snowboard bindings, so if you feel you need an pair of really fat skis you just need one pair of bindings.

Another option is Zag. They are made in France and are supposed to be three skis in one. They have a monster tip to give flotation in powder. Its wide and the point of contact is quite far back, a 75 waist to give a good sidecut for ripping on the piste & twin tips for the park. www.zag-fr.com

Personally I have Dynastar trouble makers and they are without a doubt the best twin-tip I have ever skied on. Some people say they are just for the park but they rip on the piste as-well & they are ok off piste. They new trouble line from Dynastar looks awsome.

www.ski-review.com has totaly impartial reviews of skis so go Check it out.
snow report
revolutionski, Yeah man! Line's freeride skis are really, really solid, but no one really thinks about them unfortunately.

Next years Prophet range is replacing the Assassins. They'll be up there with the bigger brands in terms of performance.
ski holidays
MagSeven, I suppose everyone knows line for thier park anticks. My mate totally loves his.

Have you got the reactor binding? I travel a lot & was thinking it would save me weight on the flights to just have one pair of bindings. I have read mixed reviews

Someone is selling a pair of Prophet 130s on ebay for £500. They are so sick. Pollard can still pull out 9's with them on.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy