Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Snowboard\ski socks

Poster: A snowHead
Does anyone have any recommendations for some decent, large, not too thick snowboard socks that don't cost a fortune (sub £10) or do I really need to spend £15+ per pair?

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Wed 10-03-10 13:53; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Ollie222, I wear knee high socks from River Island because they are pretty and have ribbons on Very Happy I also have Burton snowboarding socks for variety. It's the boots not the socks that make the difference to me.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Depending on the colour of the ribbons I could go with those Very Happy

I've just bought some new 32 Focus Boa boots and most of my socks are getting on a bit now and are also fairly thick so I thought I'd get some new socks too.

Most of my current socks are getting on a bit now and based on a few recommendations I fancied trying some thinner ones.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Ice Breakers and Smart wool. You can't beat them for foot comfort and they don't get smelly.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Ollie222, pony up the extra and buy the proper socks, otherwise you'll only end up spending the difference in blister plasters and cream whilst in great discomfort.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Lidls in the autumn - real technical looking socks only £6 a pair this year - I've been using my first pairs for 3 years now and they are still great.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Ollie222, as Bar Shaker said, Ice Breaker. I use em for both skiing and boarding. They are ace.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Unfortunately we go this weekend so waiting for Lidl is not an option.

Other than the Ice breakers mentioned above any specific recommendations?
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
TK Maxx? You can often pick up some there if you're lucky
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Smartwool socks are what I would buy.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Another vote for smartwool from me. snowHead
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Callai wrote:
TK Maxx? You can often pick up some there if you're lucky

We popped in there the other day but they very little left and nothing in my size.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Ollie222, I like Snow&Rock 'Boardzone'. They are £15 but they often have a 3 for 2 offer running on them. Padding on the shins which is good for me as I've got skinny shins Embarassed
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
red 27 wrote:
Ollie222, I like Snow&Rock 'Boardzone'. They are £15 but they often have a 3 for 2 offer running on them. Padding on the shins which is good for me as I've got skinny shins Embarassed

Thanks for that and you're right they do have a 3 for 2 offer on them.

Any idea what they're made of?
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Not sure where you live, so this probably won't help... but I buy Helly Hansen ski socks from the designer outlet in Brigend, Wales for £5 a pair. Great socks as well.
ski holidays
Smartwool socks are rubbish for skiing in, in my view as they don't fit the foot as well as a mixed fibre sock like X-socks do.
After skiing in them for a few hours they will collapse and crumple over your foot. Not drastically, but enough to be annoying in a ski boot.
I'd give my Smartwool pairs away as I have much better ones for skiing now. I use Smartwool for golf and they stay in place there well enough but then the fit of a golf shoe isn't as tight as a ski boot.
I don't have a problem with wool in itself just that a wool sock fit isn't that great and will certainly not stay that great in my experience.
snow report
Ollie222, no - sorry...
snow report
Ollie222, if you can, get yourself to decathlon. i've both smartwool and decathlon cheapos (£10 for 3 snowboarding specific pairs, £4 each i think). they both work equally well, but the benefit of paying extra for the smartwools is that those don't honk too much after wearing them for 4 days... wink
snow report
I'm based in the midlands and I did try the local decathlon but they don't have any in a large size even though they say they do on their site.
snow conditions
Ollie222, a physio advised me to try compression socks (for a problem with one of my ankles) and I've started wearing these for all exercise and recovery. I thought they'd not be warm enough for skiing - they are of a medium weight - but they're OK in my admittedly super-closely-fitting boots, and very comfortable. Don't know what they're made of, but they don't smell. (I've worn them a few times at Hemel, where my feet used to freeze - but not in these.) They are slightly more than your budget, though, even on sale.
latest report
PinoP, You seem to be saying that Smartwool socks stay in place in looser golf shoes but won't stay in place in tight fitting ski or boarding boots. Smartwool and Icebreakers are quite thin, quite tight, padded in the contact areas and work as a compression fit on the arch and calf areas. I can only think you have bought the wrong size socks. I took 6 pairs of socks away on my two week trip and after a couple of days ended up alternating between a pair of Icebreakers and a pair of Smartwool, as they were so comfy.

Hurtle, I wear Pearl Izumi structured socks for cycling and for golf. Asics and PI are about the best running/cycling stuff you can get and they also compress fit your arch, meaning you don't get aching feet.
latest report
I know what Smartwool are like as I have 4 prs and it doesn't matter half as much in a pr of golf shoes as a pr of ski boots what the fit is like.
They are warmer than a normal pr of socks which is why I use them for golf, but I'd prefer footjoys by far anyway. I'll also use them as a general walk-around the hotel or chalet but what I will never again do is wear them for skiing.
If you want a tight fit, comfort and support and they will stay like that all day and everyday, x-socks are the best out there in my experience.
I also use Falke, Salomon and others and these mixed fibre socks are also better than Smartwool. Wool is a decent material for many things but not a decent and consistant fit. Very good marketing, I grant you, but not backed up over time, in my experience.
snow conditions
used to use Falke, and probably will when current liners loosen - but no problems with smartwool at all, and they don't seem to slip down/move at all.
ski holidays
Just bought 2 pairs of ski socks from TK Maxx for £4.99 (for both pairs) good quality, not sure if they have the same deal in the mens dept but it could be worth a look.

....and who wears the same socks for 4 days eeewww
snow report
I suffer from cold feet (not a good trait for a skiier) and have a couple of pairs of WigWams - warm & comfy but getting a bit thin now so I would like some new ones but I can't find any direct replacements. Any suggestions for a WARM ski sock? I'm not bothered about super-thin race socks...I just want warm feet if possible

Thanks
latest report
My smartwool ones are dandy, S&R had a deal on for £12.95 a pair at the end of last season.

Mrs Monium uses North Face and Smartwool, and seems to like both, same price.

Alternatively these looked pretty reasonable when I was in Sports World a few months ago - they are relatively thick but they look decent enough if budget is really tight http://www.sportsdirect.com/karrimor-winter-mtn-sk94-401010?colcode=40101044 they are thicker in the key areas (shin, heel, toe) and thinner on the rest of them, but the difference isn't as dramatic as some of the other more technical socks. Worth a punt at £3 though, and they come in large size.
snow conditions
Lots of Morino wool is what you need for cold feet.
snow conditions
Ollie222 damn. that's a shame. i guess it tk maxx it is, unless you're willing to up your budget.

michelle227, oh bless. do you take the kitchen sink with you when you go for a week's holiday too? it's not actually that gross if you take 4 pairs of good quality wool socks over a two week period and rotate them on a 4-day basis... Razz
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Well I tried TK Maxx and a couple of other outdoors type stores yesterday and couldn't find anything suitable so I popped into Snow and Rock and picked up 3 pairs of their boardzone socks on their 3 for 2 deal so £30 for 3 pairs.

Hopefully they'll be good.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy