Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Sion to Geneva recommendation

Poster: A snowHead
OK, so this isn't really a skiing recommendation query...

We'll be coming back by train from our ski trip in Nendaz to Geneva airport in a week's time. We've got about 6 extra hours to kill in between leaving the resort, and reaching Geneva. We'll be passing by the towns of Sion, Martigny, Montreux, Lausanne, and Nyon among others. I've spent many an hour in Geneva city itself, so not planning to visit there again.

Where would you recommend we stopover for a short day trip? I plan to leave the luggage in the station locker, and walk around for the few hours.

Thanks for your comments.

PS. Remember it's likely to still be around or below freezing most of the day!
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
bum, Martigny has a fine art museum, often has interesting exhibitions. Vevey is very pretty, not sure there's much to do. Tour the Chateau du Crillon? Montreux also a nice town.

Olympic Museum in Lausanne?
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Lausanne - definitely.

Sion itself is a cool place, with the castles etc but you probably want to be closer to Geneva.

Hope you enjoy Nendaz - have you been before?
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
We've stopped off in Lausanne in the past and walked along the lake. If we did it again we would go to the Olympic Museum, but we were too late to see anything more than the outside.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Without a car I think Lausanne is your best bet.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Montreux is ok, you could also go to Chateau Chillon from there.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Thanks, my initial plan was Lausanne, seemed to be the biggest and most popular stop, although thinking about Montreux and the Chateau too. Interesting to know that Martigny has a fine art museum, although not all my group might appreciate something like that.

Thanks for the heads up about the Olympic Museum. Never knew there was one there, sounds interesting and perfect for a freezing day; a lake walk sounds great, but probably not in this weather, thanks!
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Fifespud, I've not been to Nendaz before. Going this week, can't wait. This forum's already given me a lot of invaluable advice on Nendaz.
Must say that it seems quite cold out there for mid-March.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Cold and icy today, my mate is there, although yesterday was a great day. The area could do with another big dumping to freshen it up, which wouldn't be unusual in March but it looks like you might miss out.

I reckon also you will be taking the bus to Siviez, I cant imagine the black run back from Plan de Fou is much fun right now.

Where are you staying?

Once at Siviez though the 4V's are your oyster!

Lucky barsteward!
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Going to be staying at Anemone, one of the Interhome rentals.
The weather forecast suggests there might be some new snow over the next week, so I might be lucky. I don't really mind a rubbishy black run, as long as it's just once a day to get back home!
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I was in Nendaz over the weekend and the pistes are in great shape. There was a light snowfall on Saturday and all the itineraire runs were lots of fun on Sunday. A mate is out there at the mo and said the conditions are perfect!

Depending on flight times we have stopped in Montreux for lunch or dinner on a few occasions as it has some very nice restaurants. Montreux is typically swiss - pretty smart but also a bit up its own ar$e... Not sure about killing 6 hours there but it is probably good for a couple of hours...
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
bum, I only skied it once when I was there, if it's the same now trust me you won't want to ski it. It's not a difficult run, just that there was no snow at the bottom. They aren't allowed to put snow cannons on it due to environmental considerations, so it gets very muddy in places. Shocked

I was glad we gave it a go on the first day just to say we did it, but it definitely not my idea of fun.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
TBH that black run is in really good nick right now, it's more of a red anyway. The bus lets you get more out of the day though.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
bum, I live in the area so here are some ideas if you want to stop in Vevey or Montreux....

Montreux: Chateau de Chillon - 5 minute bus from the station or 30 min walk. Apparently the most visited tourist attraction in Switzerland.
Train up to the Rochers de Naye - hang out with the Marmottes, do the scrambe to the top and enjoy the views of the lake
For the adventurous - do a Parapente jump from Sonchaux over the Chateau de Chillon and the lake. Amazing views!
Lunch at the Rouvenaz or one of the decent hotels if you want a splurge. Check out the Freddie Mercury statue down by the lake....

Vevey: Wonder down to the place du marché and stroll through the very pretty old town. Continue down to the lake, enjoy the lakefront walk to the Tour-de-Peilz, stopping at the Alimentarium (food museum) along the way. Back for lunch at the Hotel du Lac. Take the Funicular up to Mt Pelerin for the views (cheaper than Rochers de Naye). Buy some nice chocolate from the Nestle shop.

Enjoy!
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Thanks very much guys for the Nendaz report, and the info on Montreux and Vevey.

Both sound very interesting (as well as Lausanne) I reckon I'll have to come back along the Geneva - Sion line again for my ski trip next year and see all the towns I've missed this time.
snow conditions
Lausanne and Montreux definitely for reasons given in previous posts. Perhap even get a ferry across lake Geneva if a nice day to Evian, or just from Montreux to Lausanne then you can do both towns
snow report
I live in Nyon, which is a very nice place to live and picturesque, but I probably would recommend Lausanne or Montreux as better places to stop.

For Lausanne, if you want to go to the Olympic Museum (well worth a visit) and/or the Lake get the metro one or two stops down to Ouchy from the main train station, only a 5 minute journey.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy