Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Skiing and the Northern lights.

Poster: A snowHead
We're hoping to organise a trip to see the Northern Lights in 2011, and would like to do a bit of skiing too (although the skiing will be somewhat secondary on this trip).
Anyone got any experience of combining the two. Any resorts where it's reasonable to do this from?
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Starting points

http://www.zubaski.com/content/dog-sled-tours

http://www.guardian.co.uk/travel/2009/jan/24/tromso-norway-adventure-rail-holiday
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I saw them in Canada - Lake Louise more specifically.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
I've only ever seen them flying back from Canada (always sit on the port side of the plane on the flight home).
For aurora fanciers, this may be helpful...
http://www.gedds.alaska.edu/AuroraForecast/Default.asp?Date=20100309
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I have seen them in Geilo, Hemsedal & Lillehammer in Norway all of which have fairly decent ski resorts.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
I saw them in Grizedale forest in the Lake DIstrict, there's skiing @ Raise Smile
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...

Here's a shot I took one evening at Riksgransen. It was stunning.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
OOH.

More please
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
bad_roo, Good pic
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Wow - lovely photo!

I saw them whilst in Lapland for a wedding. We stayed in Levi and got in a fair amount of skiing considering it was a secondary aspect of the trip for us also. We saw the lights on a couple of occasions, during night-time sleigh and skidoo rides across the snow plains... it was pretty special.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
We saw them on a ski trip to Yllas in Finnish Lapland - well worth standing outside the hotel in minus 40 temps!
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
As seeing the Northern Lights is always something I've fancied doing (still waiting for that Lottery win) and from the research I've done, I recall you have a better chance of seeing them on a new moon? Check it out to be sure but it could be something you need to factor into your trip to try to get the odds in your favour of actually seeing them?
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Went to Blackpool once. Very impressed.

Quote:

I saw them in Canada - Lake Louise more specifically.

Scongie, isn't that a bit south? Roughly same height on the globe as Paris.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I wouldn't plan for it for a decade or three. Many of the Solar Cycle 24 predictions suggest you could spend all your nights staring into the night at 90 degrees north or south over the next few years and see almost no aurorae whatsoever. If it turns out to be so, it could also be an interesting test of the AGW hockey stick graph.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Bode Swiller, there's no reason not to see the lights at that latitude - or further south - though the chances diminish. Of course, it would be very rare to get a good show amidst the light pollution of a city like Paris - Lake Louise is likely to be far better!
snow conditions
Thanks for the replies so far - Lapland seems a fair bet. Moffatross - apparantly predictions are for a particularly good year in 2011 - something to do with solar flairs or summat.
snow report
ajpaul, we did tromsø in early to mid december last year for the lights. the displays that we saw were amazing, but i didn't get to snowboard as it was way too early in the season. it may be worth planning your trip for late jan to mid feb as there will possibly be more daylight so you can enjoy any daytime wintersports activities you plan on doing.

also, tromsø is on the coast and isn't really a wintersports area, even though it does have a local small hill. but if the skiing's secondary, tromsø is a good place to plan your viewing as you can travel extensively from there. there's also lots to do in the city itself. bear in mind though, it will be an expensive trip if you do the nightly excursions. unless you plan on driving around yourself, but then you will need proper kit (sleeping bags/reindeer skins/arctic suits/copious amounts of warming hot chocolate) for dealing will sitting around waiting to watch the lights.

most importantly, if you're wanting memories to keep forever, get yourself a decent camera. my only regret on the entire trip was that ours was just not up to the job. pm me if you want more details about any aspect.
ski holidays
Skimummy wrote:
We saw them on a ski trip to Yllas in Finnish Lapland - well worth standing outside the hotel in minus 40 temps!

same here , plenty of sloe gin and port helps with the temps Toofy Grin but well worth the wait !
i went in early march to get the longer days , jan/feb can be dark quite early
http://www.yllas.fi/?deptid=8951

http://www.yllakselle.com/webcams/
latest report
ajpaul, Here is a TR I did of a trip a few hours north of Tromso in March last year. May be of interest, but it's touring not lift served, so probably not what you're looking for. We did get to see the Northern Lights a couple of nights, although last year was a really bad year for them, and my point'n'push camera miserably failed to register them Sad .
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy