Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

lets ski Scotland

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Well cairngorm at least.

This is an objective guide to Scotland from someone who has only every experienced the Alps. worth a read if you're curious about UK skiing.

http://www.planetski.eu/blog/76
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
i live in northern ireland...i can stand on the giant's causeway and see the coast of scotland...on a clear day, it feels so close, its like you could pick up a stone and hit it.....but i can get to chamonix for less.....

okbye
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Peter S, it's certainly an objective guide to Cairngorm but it's most definitely not an objective guide to Scotland. Queues for mostly easy terrain are certainly common at Cairngorm but not generally so for Nevis or Glencoe which can offer some of the most challenging skiing in Europe and mostly with no waiting in lines to get at it. Little Angel

snowpatrol, I'm sure Chamonix is great, even if you can get there and back for less than the cost of a ferry trip and a tankful of petrol but could you find a cafe on the mountain where you could drink Irn Bru and eat square sausage in a bun, all while having a bit of banter with real enthusiasts & without a fur necked poseur in sight ? Cool
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
moffatross, yes I agree, I've never had queues at Nevis or Glencoe like those at Cairngorm. However Chamonix with its plethora of expert skiers is not exactly a prime place to associate with fur necked poseurs.
I'd add a Nevis photo but I've put them on here too many times already. And I'm told there are some good off piste gullies at Cairngorm - though perhaps not as good as at Nevis.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I like the piece and do think it's pretty fair, agreed that it's actually a review of Cairngorm rather than the whole of Scottish skiing and the author has made the same 'mistake' as many people do in talking about Cairngorm as if it was Scottish skiing. However understandable perhaps for a 'newbie' to the Scottish scene.

Bits I particularly liked:

Quote:
In many ways it felt genuine as all the people in the car parks preparing to brave the weather and those out on the hill were there because they loved skiing and snowboarding. They weren't the poseurs and loud-mouthed English middle classes that seem to stand out so much in Verbier, The 3 Valleys and Val d'Isere. Here were people with a real passion and who were prepared to make an effort. The gear was old fashioned, the clothing hardly the latest fashion, but the passion for snow sports was very, very real.

I like that and feel it sums up the 'buzz' pretty well.
Quote:
You have to treat skiing in Scotland for what it is and not compare it to anywhere else.

Absolutely, it's unique and all the better for it Toofy Grin
Quote:
For me I somehow felt I was going back to the roots of British skiing and I relished coming down runs I had only heard and read about; The White Lady, Coire Cas and the West Wall.

The slopes seemed to contain ghosts whether it be from the hey day of Scottish skiing in the 1970's and 80's, Frith Finlayson and Ali Ross through to the British racers, Alain Baxter, Emma Carrick-Anderson and Sean Langmuir who had started here. The Bell brothers had raced here as children, as had Konrad Bartelski.

Yes, absolutely spot on there and particularly apt given the author is currently writing the official history of BASI, an organisation whose history is inextricably linked to Cairngorm.
Quote:
Rather bizarrely I actually came to enjoy the queuing. Not only was it very organised with long lines developing, but also it meant the only way to pass the time was to chat. Everyone just chatted to the people next to them about the weather, the snow any anything lese that came to mind. It was one of the most sociable ski resorts I have ever been to.

Yup and this is probably the least sociable of all the resorts relatively speaking - imagine what James would say about Nevis or Glencoe!
Quote:
... anyone who is remotely interested in skiing and has a love of the mountains should give it a go.

Spot on again and it's a point many of us have made when discussing Scotland with the doubters, in fact many of the points James Cove makes in his article are very similar to what we've been saying for a while. However that last point is the most important for me, if you come from the UK and purport to love the mountains and be a skier (as opposed to ski) you cannot in truth make that claim IMHO whilst discounting our very own mountains and ski areas. Lets hope that comments like James' and all of the positive buzz that's coming out of Scotland this year will help a few of our fellow skiers to discover what is IMHO, and always has been, the heart and soul of British skiing. Toofy Grin
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Roga, quite agree.

A leading member of one of the Local Ski Clubs around here has already notched up 57 days this season Shocked

He is most definatlely a skier as opposed to someone who merely goes on ski holidays.

Skiing can be a lifestyle choice, if you are lucky enough to live near the slopes in Scotland or even here in northern England. Laughing
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
roga, yes, absolutely. I agree with all that.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy