Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Junior vs. Adult race skis

Poster: A snowHead
Hi, I'm 20 yrs. old, 125lbs and 5' 10". Carver, but not super aggressive. I am interested exclusively in race skis. (I've research into other categories, and I am set to get race skis - thanks for your understanding in advance.)

I am currently deciding between:

1) Rossignol Radical RS Racing 150cm (Junior) $520
2) Salomon Equipe 3V Powerline 155cm (Adult) $670

I have demo-ed the Salomon and am able to comfortably handle it for small/medium radius carves. I have not tried the Rossi, but most reviews that I've read (for the adult Rossi equivalent) rate it similar to the Salomon, except that the Rossi is more forgiving.

What are the main differences between the adult vs. junior race skis? The main difference I've heard is just the stiffness.. I've also heard that the technology remains pretty the same between junior and adult race skis... can someone confirm this?

I'm inclined towards getting the Rossi because of the price and because it's brand new (the Salomon is a demo), but I'm not sure if I'll outgrow it (stiffness & size). I plan to keep them long-term (5+ years).

Thank you in advance!
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
westmere wrote:
Hi, I'm 20 yrs. old, 125lbs and 5' 10". Carver, but not super aggressive. I am interested exclusively in race skis. (I've research into other categories, and I am set to get race skis - thanks for your understanding in advance.)

I am currently deciding between:

1) Rossignol Radical RS Racing 150cm (Junior) $520
2) Salomon Equipe 3V Powerline 155cm (Adult) $670

I have demo-ed the Salomon and am able to comfortably handle it for small/medium radius carves. I have not tried the Rossi, but most reviews that I've read (for the adult Rossi equivalent) rate it similar to the Salomon, except that the Rossi is more forgiving.

What are the main differences between the adult vs. junior race skis? The main difference I've heard is just the stiffness.. I've also heard that the technology remains pretty the same between junior and adult race skis... can someone confirm this?

I'm inclined towards getting the Rossi because of the price and because it's brand new (the Salomon is a demo), but I'm not sure if I'll outgrow it (stiffness & size). I plan to keep them long-term (5+ years).

Thank you in advance!

You're not going to like "neither", are you? I don't know many racers that take their race skis out of the gates. If you mean on-piste orientated carving skis, fair enough, but shopping for race construction and focused skis for a recreational skiier of any variety isn't the greatest of plans, imo.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I am open to your opinion, but would like to know more in detail why race skis (such as the one's I've mentioned) are not suitable for recreational skiing. Thanks.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
They're purpose built for going as fast as possible, and to tolerate forces generated from doing that. So, stiff, and designed with no interest for variable snow, bumps, or slow speeds. Look at the people you see on the hill - I can't imagine many are on world cup standard/legal skis. There're loads of consumer based high end skis - perhaps a little crossover with pure race skis, but much better behaved when not being pushed hard.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
westmere,

DaveC, makes a great deal of sense. I do ski on WC legal skis, but I'm (at best) a little unconventional. I would expect that you'd do better on, say, the Rossi Radical 9S Oversize which is their race based high end short radius piste ski. More forgiving, more useful outside of a race course.

Re adult vs junior; the main difference AFAIK is stiffness - I think even at 125lbs you're probably too heavy for a junior ski - I'm 136lbs and my usual ski is a FIS legal 165cm slalom. I.e. you'll "over-power" the "kids" one. The longest that Rossi do now in their race range is 150cm, which is way too short.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
westmere, Have to agree with the above I have a pair of the full FIS Factory 3v Powerlines but they are purley used for on piste carving and race training ( I would rather walk through moguls than ski them in 3v's)

Have a look at something like the Aero X or equivelant. Very similar to the 3v but more forgiving and able to dal with more. Also would probably go a little longer at 5 10 a 155 may not be the most stable at speed.

Dont get me wront I LOVE my 3V's but know there limits, the normal punter version without the Lab plates is not to bad as an all round ski but the full factory is Stiff as a board.

The main diffbetween adults and kids skis is stifness but be warned some of the kids skis use composite materials rather than wood cores.

Happy shopping.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Kids skis will be too soft for you, and at 5"10 you really want at least 165cms, even in a slalom ski. I suspect full race skis aren't what you want either - maybe take a look at the race based high end piste skis most manufacturers offer.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Fattes13, love my factory 3vs for moguls. I guess when I'm comparing them to factory 2vs and Legend Pros it's easy to see why Smile
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Sideshow_Bob, My knees are a tad to delicate to inflict that on them but like I said the standard 3v is awsome for everything

Funny to see MR Bell during the olympic coverages demonstrating Moguls on what was obviously the Atomic GS skis god he was struggling
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Where can you buy the factory (is this the full FIS race model?) from - do normal shops sell them, or do you get them straight form the factory or something?
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
clarky999, Normal shops do not sell the factory race skis. In England you will only really get the "Factory" models from Ski Bartlett's in Hillingdon.
To get them direct from the factory is almost impossible for anyone apart from the importers or members of National squads.
If you are looking for Atomic race skis I will be abe to help you out with some 2nd hand full WC race skis direct from the factory during the summer. SL, GS, SG or DH.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Thanks all for your input. Based on what most of guys are saying, I should stay away from the junior ski because I'll over-power it, and also because its too small. Damn... I was really hoping to get some positive feedback for the Rossi :\

Any more insights?

@clarky999: The Salomon Equipe 3V is a demo at my local ski resort.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
westmere,

I ski on Rossi's 99% of the time. Either 9X World cup GS ski 184cm, 24m Radius or 9X oversize GS ski 170cm, 17m radius. The oversize are used for everthing from all mountain skiing, offpiste, bumps, variable etc and teaching on a daily basis. The World cup GS skis are used for competition/race training groups although yesterday i skied off piste on them with Rorrie as we went for a quick blast between lessons Very Happy

I would recommend you try a pair of the oversize and give them a blast.

My other skis are Pocket Rockets fitted with tour bindings and basically unless we have fresh powder they are crap

ps. Just so Mrs W dosen't correct me i actually have 3 pairs of World cup GS skis & 3 pairs of oversize of differing vintages. I just seem to hoard them and never sell them on. Anybody want to buy any Puzzled
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
westmere, Kids will switch from "junior" race skis at 15, often even earlier if they are tall and heavy for their age, stick to adult skis.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Fattes13, didn't see that (Bell on moguls) disappointed to hear he struggled. (yes, yes, I know, he didn't race them, but still...)
snow report
under a new name, I was suprised to be honest as he is an incredible skier but he looked sooooo bad in giving the demo of how to ski Moguls I could hear tbe Basi Trainers shouting at him from where I was Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
latest report
I saw the video of Bell in the moguls, he was terrible! I was really suprised!

Plugboy, Cheers, but I'm to skint to think about buying any anytime soon - there's only so many skis you can buy with a student loan lol. Would love a pair of FIS SL skis at some point though, maybe after uni when I get back into seasons...
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy