Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Half-Term 2011

Poster: A snowHead
Just wondered if anyone could give any advice on ski areas that don't get too packed in February half-term ?

I've read a few reviews about some of the resorts in the Dolomites and they seem to imply that they're not as crammed on the slopes as the French and Austrian resorts.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
There are quite literally 'several' threads about this, have a bit of a search.

I have been, recently, to La Thuile, La Rosiere, Pila, and Valloire/Valmeinier during Brit half term, and would vouch for any of them as being 'not too bad'. I was also in Alpe d'Huez last week which, although not Brit half term, was one of the French half terms. Paris/Versailles, I believe. It was totally fine.

In fact, all my experiences so far have led me to believe the following, quite strongly: Ignore all the sharp intakes of breath that accompany over-wrought statements about how awful skiing is at half term. It's fine, and doesn't really matter where you go. Just stay away from the front de neige at ski school time. I would imagine that the 3vs/Killy type places that the desparately unimaginative go to are probably quite grim, mind.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Look for resorts that the Brit tour ops don't go to, and you'll be fine.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Thanks for the advice. By the way paulio I re-worded my search and did indeed find some other similar threads, lots of usefull tips in those too.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
having checked the Montgenevre webcams daily for a while, i would say this half term was quiet while the week after ie 21st feb must have been French or Italien holidays as it seemed busier.
next years half term will be a busy one for brits i think, as with Easter being so late the tour operaters are not offering many trips at easter
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
ArseneWengen wrote:
I've read a few reviews about some of the resorts in the Dolomites and they seem to imply that they're not as crammed on the slopes as the French and Austrian resorts.

We (Dolomites) do get busy in Feb like everywhere else. People want to ski, so up they come. But nothing like as packed as some of the big French resorts, for the simple reason is that our resorts don't have as many hotels - so less people to jam up the lit queues.
This year we had 1,300 people from Belgium turn up on the same week as the UK HT, so it was a bit busier but still nothing to worry about. Not sure where they are going next year. But they will hjave already block booked most of the hotels where-ever it is.

Choice of resort depends what you're looking for. There are loads of resorts in the Dolomites and they all have their own charm, ski area types, etc. So you need to 1st of all decide what you're preferences are and then choose a resort that fits the bill.

Note that some flights for HT 2011 are already filling up so you need to sort this asap if you don't want to pay too much.

Good luck
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
paulio wrote:
I would imagine that the 3vs/Killy type places that the desparately unimaginative go to are probably quite grim, mind.

Well having been to the 3Vs at half term this year, I can assure you it was not at all grim! Much quieter than I expected from the stories banded about on here.

Apart from the first lift of the day, we hardly queued at all - maybe 5 minutes at most - and skied all over Courchevel, the Meribel Valley (one day doing both the highest and lowest runs the same day: from the top of Mt Vallon all the way down to Les Allues), Belleville valley from St Martin up to V'T, and over into the fourth valley towards Orelle.

Grim? No way! And it's the first time I've be called unimaginative. rolling eyes
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Nice report RobW, which demonstrates my point quite nicely (the unimaginitive bit was just mischief, as I'm sure you realise).

Half Term: not as bad as everyone says.

Now official.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
cunning plan!!!!!!
some operaters are offering 5 day trips dept Mon 3rd of Jan 2011(gets them over the xmas and new years day been a Saturday), this would mean kids only missing 2 or 3 days at school, and then book early for Easter 2012 as its the 3rd week of March.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
I suspect that half term 2011 will be busier than normal, as Easter is very late in 2011, and some who normally go at Easter will move to half term.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
ringingmaster, many schools now have their holidays int eh first two weeks of April, regardless of when Easter falls.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
rob@rar wrote:
ringingmaster, many schools now have their holidays int eh first two weeks of April, regardless of when Easter falls.

Sad My kids (and the whole of Warwickshire) finish on 13th April. I guess we will be going high next year.

Smile Easter could be very quiet
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
paulio, I hope you're right about La Thuile, as we've booked for HT 2011 already. Our first choice was Sestriere, but it was already fully booked (via TOs) a year in advance!

We had good intentions to do a DIY effort, but apathy took over and we decided to line the pockets of Thompson instead!
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
main thing for half term has to be avoid the french mega resorts that are in all the brit brochures.

having said that Chamonix wasn't too bad except for the monday. who knows why only the monday? Other than that it was noticably busier than the week before but no where near as busy as in earlier years (unless i missed something).
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
The Flying Snowplough, La Thuile (this was 2008) was no busier than any other week by my recollection. Pila and Courmayeur were both busier (we did day trips) as was La Ros over the hill, but none to the extent that it made anyone unhappy. Longest lift queue of the week was about 10 mins in Pila when we happened to be getting on one of the ones favoured by the ski schools just after lunch. Second worst was about 5 minutes when at the very bottom of La Ros, again this was just after lunch and a bad bit of timing.. Other than that - totally fine.
snow report
Wayne many thanks for the heads up on the Dolomites. My wife is at late beginer/early intermediate stage so I'll be looking for something with plenty of nice blues and easy reds. Seems to be quite a lot of decent resorts that cater for that level though, particularly the resorts in Val Gardena and also Madonna. Will also have a 9 year old a 7 year old in tow who've skied the last 2 years, so I'm looking at something that fits the bill nicely with them too.

Sounds like I'd be best booking sooner rather than later, especially with all those crazy Belgians on the lookout for hotels !
latest report
rob@rar, looking at the Easter holiday dates, this doesn't seem to be the case. Some are starting around 9th April, and the rest on the 16th. Even half-term is delayed until 20th Feb . http://www.swtourism.org.uk/files/download.php?m=documents&f=091120153741-SchoolHolidays201011.pdf
ski holidays
My kids are off 14th Feb and 1st April so it looks like off-peak week for us! Shame the Christmas break is at the same time otherwise the savings from holidays would nearly pay their school fees!
latest report
paulio, the die is cast now, so I'm not worrying. The worst lift queue is better than being in the office. Smile Thanks for the info, though. Field research beat TO propaganda any day of the week! We went to La Ros in 2008 (first week of March) and really enjoyed La Thuile. There is one black run in the bowl on which I can link turns, and I'm keen to get back there a.s.a.p. for an ego boost!!
ski holidays
ARSENE may i suggest you check out Montgenevre, especially the new apartments les hammilles, you can get great deals there with TO or independent, its ski from the door for £400 each and thats easter, maybe £100 halfterm
looking at piste map theres lots of long blues, red and greens, plus a few testing blacks ,a nd it links to the full milkyway
will do a report on my return in 3 weeks
snow report
Thanks Cockerhoop, I'll keep a look out for your report.
ski holidays
http://www.webcam-ski.com/interfaces/mtgenevre/interface.php?pk_interface=129&m=images&r=panoramique#depart
this is webcam for the village of Montgenevere and show one chair lift and 1 drag the amount of people in the picture is about the same as it was half term week this year
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy