Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Val Thorens - costs vs Meribel and Courchevel

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi all...

Having been to Courchevel, we are looking to ski again in Les 3 Vallees...

However we are mulling over the costs benefits of returning to Courchevel vs going to Meribel or even staying in Val Thorens...

Knowing that a few EoSB were at VT, wondering if you could kindly provide pros/ cons of costs etc...

Many thanks! Blush
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Depends what you're after. There are many more reasonably priced chalets in Meribel thanks Courchevel. Lots of self-catered accommodation in Le Manure if you want the bargain basement end of things, and a mix of the two in ValT. Other costs to consider are the lack of any decent or reasonably priced bars/restaurants in Courchevel 1850, and the other Courchevel resorts are, for my liking, a bit off the beaten track and take that little more time to get into the thick of the action, there is plenty of choice of bars in Meribel and ValT,.

We had the same quandary this year, we got a bargain last minute deal in 1850 last year but hated the town, completely soulless and felt like we were being mugged every time we wanted a drink. We're giving Motteret a spin in two weeks, I think it offers the best compromise of value chalets, quickest access to the widest choice of slopes, and enough bars and restaurants to avoid things getting boring in the evening. Will let you know if our calculations were accurate.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Dr John, we were in Mottaret last month. (Hotel Alpen Ruitor). It was fairly expensive but not as wallet damaging as Courchevel. Good links to all of the 3V so easy to explore from. Val T and Les Menuires are cheaper (for hot choc, beer, and pizza anyway).

We are Back in Val T in a couple of weeks time, self catering as the kids are with us this time snowHead
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Well looking for Half board chalet or hotel in range of 600 squids, with flights and transfers included...

Reasonable apres and reasonable beer prices for the eve...

Dr John, Looks like you might be onto a winner but will still await further replies / views! wink
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
michaelminhatkinson, you should be able to get that price range easily, a quick look at ifyouski.com shows about 6 options immediately. If you're going for Meribel be careful to check where the chalet is on a town map, a large part of Meribel is a long way from the center and a bit of a phaff for slope access (Morel chair can be horribly congested at times). Mottaret has more accommodation with easy slope access.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Many thanks! Any other views on whether to go for Val Thorens vs Meribel/Mottaret?
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Val Thorens gets my vote! wink
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
michaelminhatkinson, Val Thorens village is 500m higher than Mottaret as is the top lift so typically it has better snow and IMHO better and more varied runs. From Mottaret, Mont Vallon is great as are the runs under Cote Brune but you'll soon be heading up to VT, La Masse or across to Courchevel looking for more. Mottaret seems like a nice enough place although have only skied past. Val Thorens is busier and probably more mixed, ranging from cheap and cheerful apartment to chalets and a couple of decent hotels. It also has a pretty good range of nightlife. Not a fan of Meribel village itself or the skiing around it.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I prefer Mottaret to VT, but would recommend that you look at Les Menuires!
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
michaelminhatkinson, might depend a bit when you're going. If it's late Meribel can be quite slushy - and Val Thorens would be better then. Mottaret certainly has better access to the skiing than Meribel. Dr John is dead right about the geography. Parts of "chalet land" in Meribel are a long way from anywhere - fine if it's one of the places which will ferry you back and forth.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I've been organising chalet trip for our group for a good few years now. VT is typically a bit more expensive than Meribel (though Meribel also has more luxury chalets), but the VT ones are usually more modern with en-suite and better facilities as they are often in an apartment complex. As others have said, some Meribel chalets are a long way from the piste and the ski bus fills up - but some companies, including Inghams, SkiBeat, and Total run a minibus service for their guests. In VT you are already up the mountain so don't need to get on a big lift before skiing.

VT is higher, so more snowsure. However nowhere does white-outs quite like VT - eyes are no use, you have to ski with the force. In Meribel there are plenty of tree lined runs to tell you which way is up.

The best advantage to Meribel is that you are in the middle of 3V so you can have a day in Courchevel or VT without fretting too much. Getting to 1650 from VT is a long way for intermediates, especially if the weather is changeable and the links risk closing.

Cost-wise while you are there, I'd say VT is marginally cheaper and you are less likely to get stung for a €11 cake.

You'll notice I've not mentioned Courchevel - chalets there never make it into our budget unless they have bunks or quad rooms. Each time I've been there our pre-planning goes astray and we end up lunching with the Russians in 1850!
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Thanks all!!! Very Happy

Bro made the call and decided on La Tania of all places, as we had been there before and was cheapish... and the other two were mentionning budget... Funny that especially when they go and spend an arm and a leg on drinks here in London and on the slopes without a though about it...

Budget was not on my mind as ski hols any way are going to do you harm in the wallet.

So out there from the 20th to 27th should any snowHead would want to catch up...

I'll be the one in the white POC helmet and goggles...

Still have to decide on whether to stick a snowheads sticker on the back or not! : Toofy Grin
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Did La Tania a month ago in the midst of the deep-freeze and loved it from start to finish.

For a cheap outside lunch / sarnie, try:
http://www.lasaucissesavoyarde.com/ (sorry, forgot how to code a hyperlink!)

Its got an unusual Franco-antipodean tang to it, and also do a take-away roast chicken dinner...

Lucky g1t!
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
nowt wring with La Tania at all (although haven't stayed there). Folyeres is a cracking morning blaster to loosen up on.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Think OP is now sorted but for others looking for cheaper holiday in Courchevel, maybe consider Bozel. Its not ski in or out (although can apparently ski all the way down) and not much happening by way of night life but much cheaper. I have a friend that runs a fabulous chalet here and its around £350 to £400 catered (I think). The ski bus up to Courchevel runs from centre of town which is about a 2 minute walk from her chalet. Takes 12 minutes to Le Praz. Then bubble to Courchevel area or over into La Tania and Merribel. Or can get bus down to Brides Le Bains and get up into Merribel.

Couple of good bars (2 Euros a demi) or can get a minibus/taxi up to Courchevel for people wanting to see bands playing etc and have more of an apres ski later on.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy