Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Skiing Scotland late April

Poster: A snowHead
Hi,

Never skied in Scotland and I'm think about a trip in late April for 4 days. Anyone much experience of Scottish skiing in April? Is there generally good snow conditions? Best area/resort for going at that time of year? I'm hoping that its been such an epic season that there will be plenty of snow and good skiing (I understand even when its a bad season there is still snow in April). Im also on a tight budget so any hints for accommodation will be much appreciated.

Cheers
Doppelmayr
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I'd give any resort you do choose a quick call to make sure the lifts are still scheduled to be running. Most alpine resorts are closed by late April
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
doppelmayr, welcome to snowheads. From all accounts, the snow in Scotland has been exceptional this year. I expect that Scots snowheads will be along to give you the information you ant for April skiing - but you may also wish to know that there is some discussion of some of us getting together for May bank holiday skiing.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Often some great skiing to be had then, good weather no q's and sometimes freshies from the lambing showers, might be weekend only skiing but then again they might still be running midweek, also plenty of places to stay that are cheap, crianlarich for glencoe, youth hostel and plenty others for aviemore, spittal hotel for glenshee.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
go to glencoemountain.co.uk and have a look at the snow. It is bound to last into april. Happy

I'm going ther eall easter weekend. Happy Fri Sat Sun Mon Happy
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
2 of my best ski days ever have been on May Day Bank Holiday in Scotland (Nevis Range on both occassions - but only chose there as it's easier for me than most other places to get to). Most folk will have packed away their skis and got out their golf clubs by then so should be quiet. Although I've not skied Scotland this (epic) season, from what I've read and heard, the snow is abundant just now and you should be fine late April
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
At most resorts (eg Nevis) they generally close the lifts after about 3 weeks of April whatever the snow is like. However this may not apply to Cairngorm (Aviemore).
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Aonach Mor, April the 29th 2006

http://www.prog99.com/Stuff/aonach_mor_panorama.jpg

Only 8quid for the lift ticket, limited terrain but a brilliant day out.

(It rained the next day which was the end of the season)
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
doppelmayr Aonach Mor is the real name of the ski area normally called Nevis. In later April 06 and 08 the best snow depths were in April, but in many other years it was almost gone.
The first 3 weeks of April, snow depths on upper and lower slopes in that resort:

2006, ______________ 2007 _________ 2008 ________ 2009
week .. 1 ... 2 ... 3 ___ 1 ... 2 ... 3 ____ 1 ... 2 ... 3 ___ 1 ... 2 ... 3
upper . 46 . 58 . 60 __ 40 .. n/a . n/a __ 64 . 74 . 80 ___ 29 . 24 .. 8
lower . 22 . 28 . 30 __ 15 .. n/a . n/a __ 19 . 23 . 24 ____ 9 .. 4 .. n/a
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Cairngorm typically stays open the longest and if the snow is there (as it has been at least 2 of the last 4 seasons) will stay open into May, usually they have a good few events going over May day weekend.

On the basis of the snow that's there right now, and presuming nothing drastic happens, I'd be surprised if there's not snow into May (I wouldn't be overly shocked if there's enough cover at the top going into June to be honest).

In a normal year, and this 'aint been a normal year lol, there are usually decent dumps in March/early April which help to keep the season going. This year who knows to be honest but I hope we get the usual 'lambing' snows to freshen things up and give us one last top-up, however if they fail to appear there's so much snow already that it'll take some serious hair-dryer winds and rain to wash the cover away from mid-mountain up.

Accommodation wise there's plenty on offer, and outside of holiday periods you should be fine booking up until the last minute, what are you looking for, hotel, self-catering, bunkhouses?
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
2008 was pretty good!

http://picasaweb.google.co.uk/neil2829/Nevis19thApril#5191469783180343938

http://picasaweb.google.co.uk/neil2829/CairnGorm20thApril#5191470212677073650

They and Glencoe all shut either after the Bank Hol or the weekend before.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Thinking of heading to scotland myself about the 15th, anymore recomendations for resort and accomodation would be really helpful Wink
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
We were at Cairngorm last weekend and conditions were epic - with 6 or 7m of snow at the top station of the funicular. And that's before the current storm!

They are scheduled to run the lifts until at least 3rd may this season, with a review then to consider a possible extension.

We have skiied the past 2 seasons there at the end of April and it was excellent, with deserted slopes and great snow. A fantastic time of the year to ski in the UK Very Happy Very Happy
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Plannning a trip up there around the 23rd. Hopefully get to ski one of the the gullys on the Ben
latest report
 brian
brian
norris, found a nice pic of the Ben ....

#3 is bang in the middle, #4 is next on the right disappearing behind a buttress. Tower Gully is the big scary line on the left!

ski holidays
brian, 3 and 4 look good. Tower looks committing with a turn above a rather large cliff?! what is the one far to the right, from the large snow then gets very narrow.
snow report
 brian
brian
norris, you may not be suprised to learn it's the imaginatively titled, "number 5". wink
latest report
I'm more interested in number 6, that looks like a proper run! Is it a red?
snow conditions
davejsy, might have to do it on snowblades! Shocked
snow conditions
Just found this on youtube - i believe its stevomcd,
tower gully on his board

http://youtube.com/v/BS5Lqrnk0e4
ski holidays
ski holidays
The BMC map is cracking and worth purchasing. Nice to have the bearings off the summit marked too for when it goes pea soup.

There is always Gardyloo gully or Good Friday Climb if your feeling brave!
snow conditions
scottishskier, thanks I presume this one?
http://www.bmcshop.co.uk/product_info.php?cPath=278_279&products_id=5900
snow report
Yeah thats the one
latest report
norris,
Quote:

davejsy, might have to do it on snowblades!

Backwards!
snow report
FWIW I've skied in a t-shirt at Cairngorms, on May 1st - 1991 I think.

Top Bowl should still be open late April, possibly down to funicular mid station. Might even have M1 uplift still by that point this year!

Bit hard to predict winds and thaws though!
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy