Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Does solo skiing get boring?

Poster: A snowHead
Hi

Due to circumstances, I have missed the annual ski trip with normal gang. I have decided though that I need my ski fix and have booked a week in Tignes in a couple of weeks time. My wife asked me last night, how I would not get bored skiing on my own. Like most people that ski, I find it the most chilling yet challenging week of the year so the thought of boredom due to being on my own never crossed my mind. For clarity I am a very normal and social person (ie not a loner) - so is boredom something I should consider and therefore investigate ski schools etc.?

Any thoughts?

thanks
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Hi
Lasy year i have others cancel at teh last minute. I went with SkiWeekedns to 3V and intended to ski with the groups in the hotel. As it turned out i skid on my own day 1, and enjoyed it so much that i did the same day 2 and 3. I skid exactrly where i wanted at teh pace i wanted. I had coffee, lunch and aftrenoon beer & cake when i wanted. I alwasy have a book with me in teh rucksack for when the old knee plays up and i need a break (and a beer)

Ok the weather was fantastic and i stuck to blues and red, had my phone with me, and skid sensibily but still quite fast. Was a really good 3 days.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Baxter1, I do enjoy the odd day skiing on my own, but I don't think I'd want to do a whole week on my own. If it were me, I think I'd try to get enrolled in a ski school for half a day - and there are some great options in Tignes (which a number of people on this forum know a lot about).
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Baxter1, I love skiing on my own!
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Baxter1, I did a week on my own last year for the first time and jiust loved it.

It was a time to be totally selfish, doing what I wanted when I wanted, not something that happens when you ski/board with family or friends.

It's certainly something that I would do again if the opportunity arose.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
I love skiing on my own - but only if I can be sociable at lunchtime and in the evenings. (I holiday-ed with a non-skier for years, it was fine.)
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
i like skiing alone too, most of my skiing is alone in fact. But also I wouldnt necessarily go on hols skiing without booking some lessons, there's always something to learn/improve, and it's a great way to find your way round the hill ahead of your solo missions in the afternoon(s). That way, you'll get a bit of company/banter but still have ample time to go it alone.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Yes.

If you ski on your own you tend to have far fewer breaks too. I was knackered by 2pm.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Nickski, absolutely agreed about fewer breaks.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
More breaks ! You sit just off teh edge of the piste in somebeatiful spot, open the rucksack, slug some water or bit of frusli bar/pain au choc, and just enjoy the view.

i find with the bigger groups, and with family, you dont tend to stop and smell the roses / edelweisses often enough
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I find I tend to board harder slopes when on my own as there is no need for debate or consideration of the weakest slider in the group. Boredom does not really come in to it and actually it forces you to be more sociable, practice the local language etc.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
rayscoops,

Yes youre right - last year required me to have a 20 min conv in french with a local pensioner up frmo Brides to Meribel - great start to the week

"ou vous ski aujourd'hui ?", "vois ski bien ?", "vos femme ski aussi ?" , "vous habite ici ou en vacances ? " etc etc for 20 mins
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
many thanks for the responses, one thing I have just realised from above is that the only person who delays the skiing, decides where to break etc will be me, so that is cool. I am staying in a chalet/hotel with a bar so hopefully will have some social interaction...if not there always skiing the next day to get bed early for!

thanks again
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Baxter1, you will be fine Very Happy
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
You'll probably cover three times the amount of terrain, of your choice, in half the time. Boredom doesn't come into it.

And if you do hook up, it will invariably be with someone of similar ability.

Plenty of time to get social, later, at the bar.

Enjoy.
latest report
Baxter1,

Pop into the Alpaka & you will soon find many new friends to ski with. The best time to call is between 6.00 & 7.30.
latest report
Baxter1, I wouldn't worry about it, I'm currently in Tignes on my own for 4 weeks! Been here since Saturday and I'm loving it. I've got friends popping out tomorrow for a week but then just me for the duration, so I'll probably add in a week of lessons when they're gone. But so far I've got so much skiing done, it really is amazing how much you end up faffing about when you ski with others!

By the way, conditions here are brilliant; I was in Morzine last week and thought that was pretty good, but the snow here just completely blows that away, its nigh on perfect on-piste.
ski holidays
Interesting thread. I wouldn't mind going alone on a holiday but I would then try to hook up with others for the skiing bit. For skiing offpiste, this is pretty much necessary unless you know exactly what you're doing (and where).

I'm less interested in skiing pistes - so I'd prefer to be with friends if I have to stick to the piste. Though if they were any good we'd soon start exploring beyond the groomed, and if they weren't I probably would end up blasting at my own pace for at least part of the time.

However, my usual problem, at least for full weeks, is which group of friends to join, rather than how to get by alone.
snow conditions
rayscoops wrote:
I find I tend to board harder slopes when on my own as there is no need for debate or consideration of the weakest slider in the group. Boredom does not really come in to it and actually it forces you to be more sociable, practice the local language etc.
Being a novice I'm the opposite. With others I can be encouraged to do more than if on my own. Recently I was sternly reprimanded by a friend for skiing on my own for a couple of hours, & that was on a green slope - did wonders for my confidence rolling eyes
latest report
Butterfly wrote:
Recently I was sternly reprimanded by a friend for skiing on my own for a couple of hours, & that was on a green slope - did wonders for my confidence rolling eyes

I remember reading your post about that at the time - your friend should be ashamed of herself! I suppose she read something about not skiing alone (probably along the lines of horizon's post) and decided to apply this to someone skiing on a green piste in a major resort in the middle of the afternoon... I'm sure you know how wrong she was, but it must have been horrid to have someone burst your happy & confident bubble like that Sad

I've actually really enjoyed the few days I've skied alone, but I did miss the lunchtime company - the actual skiing bit was fine, though (& yes, I did push myself a bit harder, probably because no-one I knew was there to see me make a mess of things Laughing ).
latest report
I went to Zermatt on my own a couple of years ago and ended up only skiing alone for half a day. I'm a member of a Ski Club and skied with the rep there for 2 days (recommended) and as I was booked on lessons some mornings I ended up skiing with others from the group in the afternoons. Evenings were pretty sociable too usually starting off with the Ski Club social hour.
snow report
Butterfly, Jo is right - your friend was out of order. Ignore her. If you were unlucky enough to injure yourself there would be people around to help you. I saw, from a chair, a bunch of French lads who stopped to help an elderly man who fell - his wife was useless, just having hysterics. It's sensible to have a phone, so if you end up in hospital you could tell your friends to bring you in some grapes. wink
snow conditions
I also ski alone a lot of the time and love it. But saying that I also love getting out with a group of friends. You just have to be mindful of where you go. Butterfly, Jo & Pam are so right. Don't let your friend influence you one bit.
snow conditions
Another single skier here! Just love it.....but don't mind a bit of company either.

Skiing with others I find, allows me to learn new things from them and vice versa, skiing alone allows time for further practice of new things wink

If alone, I do try to make sure I am in sight of others though, on some pistes in some places I have been this year, this has been a challenge though. When therefore in remote locations, in isolation, I do tend to be a little more sensible Very Happy
ski holidays
Sarge McSarge, pam w, Jo225, thanks - lots of people have said the same thing. I think it probably comes from this friend's many years of taking school parties when of course it was sensible to tell the kids not to go off alone and additionally to only ski where they'd been taken in lessons.

I have to say I do prefer having company in the form of a better skier... someone to encourage me; but am also happy to do some solo practice too, preferably on known territory or at least somewhere recommended as being within my skills.
snow report
Even though I have just done my first week I was happy to spend a few hours alone. Only times I missed company was when I was on a lift by myself and once when looking up on a poor vis and wind blown Wixi to find the lift stopped and no-one in sight.

You spend so much time enveloped in equipment and concentrating that even with company the actual skiing is solitary

Think I might get a bit bored of too many evenings alone though.
latest report
ski alone = no compromise, you go where you want at the pace you want but no one to share it with. Additional element of risk if you ski away from the pistes and have a serious accident. Personally I don't ski alone on a glacier but regularly do for normal off piste.

ski with others = some degree of compromise in where you go and at what pace but you get to share the experience.

If I have similar standard ski companions I prefer to ski with them. If I don't I prefer to ski alone.
snow report
Baxter1, The words skiing and boring dont go in the same sentence,i've done it,best time i ever had.Do what you want when you want,dont have to try and please others,doing the runs you want to do. I do recomend going in a chalet though to gaurantee company for dinner.I love solo skiing(on piste)just take your ipod.As people have said plenty of options to ski with others ski club/school etc. and i have never been skiing in a group or alone when i haven't been asked "do ya fancy coming out with us tomorrow."
the only drag is the journey to the airport alone but once you get off the plane you'll have a ball, Enjoy
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Quote:

I love solo skiing(on piste)just take your ipod

Please NOOOO!!!!

(it destroys your spatial awareness) (Just ask the poor sods who get flattened by cyclists around Londons canals Shocked )
snow report
Go to a resort with an SCGB rep, take a private lesson or two. Could be great fun Smile
ski holidays
I've done several solo trips years ago, including 6 weeks to new zealand, never had a moment to myself! Always end up meeting people to ski with, I guess it depends where you go on how easy it is. Did a powder day by myself the other day. Was exhausting as I didn't stop from 9 til the last lift. Also meant I was more selective on the lines I did as skiing solo off the piste is tad silly, no one to take photos of me! I did miss the company but on the other hand i did a serious amount of skiing.
snow report
Many thanks to all for the replies, some great comments and advice. It appears that I will not be bored to say the least. Some great responses, but unfortunately I have not been around to reply due to study requirements (in addition to normal life of work, wife, child etc.)...now that is boring!

thanks again
snow report
I love riding with friends. But just the same have done a fair bit of backcountry on my own - this is great as it really focuses the mind and i find you really become aware of your environment and get a real buzz from it as the whole decision making process is up to you.
ski holidays
How about the best of both worlds - book with a group like Spice Uk. They offer a range of trips with all ski levels - and a mix of couples and singles - you can then opt and opt out of the ski day and apres ski and the evenings at the hotel/chalet - best of all worlds!
www.spiceuk.com for more information. Cheers
ski holidays
WARNING - curryqueen has made 3 posts so far, two recommending Spice UK and one another recommendation. We should charge her for advertising!
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy