Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

why don't racers carry weights ?

Poster: A snowHead
Mad sunday night lateral thought after watching eth Superg

So in teh downhill and teh SuperG, the heavier guys have defintely got an advantage. So why don't the lighter skiers - John Kucera-type build, just wear weighted suits to give them some extra momentum ? Is there a FIS rule that prevents this ?
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I would have thought that any weight that isn't muscle is going to hinder you hugely as you try to move your body up and down to force you skis through the turns. Weighted skis could be an idea though.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
sev112,
Quote:

the heavier guys have defintely got an advantage

do they really?
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
maybe i'm wrong, but maier, cuche, walchofer, svindal seem big guys. The heavier crews get down teh bobsleigh tracks quickest - obviously technique is vital, but given equivalent technique (and mental capability etc), then extra mass gives greater momentum/speed ( i would have thought)
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I'd be surprised if there weren't advantages and disadvantages for both heavier and less heavy DH skiers. For example - whilst a heavy skier might carry more straightline speed, they may need to edge more heavily and lose that advantage. In reality, perhaps those advantages/disadvantages equate to 10th or 100th of a second differences over a top class DH race.

Can I get off the fence now Laughing
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Chasseur,

Are you a politician wink
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
using this rationale, I should be a long time and reigning WC champion, with dedication to my race prep the key to my legendary status Laughing
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
There are (and have been) big guys in the downhill - Patrick Ortleib, Peter Muller, Michael Mair spring to mind from recent history. Walchofer is a big guy, but he often seems a bit awkward to me. I don't remember Klammer as being particularly big - and although Cuche is stocky, he seems to be a bit short. Carlo Janka is no giant either. I'm rambling now......... Confused
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Wearing the weight low down, perhaps on your hips, should be an advantage. We used to wear weight jackets for windsurf speed sailing and slalom races. Terrible for the vertibrae.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
I'm probably not qualified to comment ( Little Angel ) but from my memory of high school physics, doesn't weight (mass under gravity) make no difference to terminal velocity? it's air resistance that is the issue.

I seem to remember Neil Armstrong dropping a hammer and a feather on the moon and they both fell together?

So maybe it's not that the big guys are heavier per se, but that they have more muscle and power to handle the g-forces produced when carving at high speed?

Ok I did say I wasn't qualified Very Happy
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Axsman, you are correct about that if you were to ski somewhere with no atmosphere and no friction whatsoever between the skis and the snow then yes, weight would make no difference. However in skiing there is air reisistance and friction and the greater your momentum the less these will affect your speed. This only really comes into affect on the flat parts of ski courses.

F = m*a is the equation you're after, ie the greater the persons mass the less they're going to deccelerate under the same force.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
rambotion wrote:
Axsman, you are correct about that if you were to ski somewhere with no atmosphere .....

What, like Bansko? Laughing
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
At least one of the smaller girls in our race club does.

The effect of added mass is quite obvious in head-to-head races, where the lighter kids decelerate much quicker than the larger of us, particularly on the flatter sections.

Friction is also (in the normal model) proprtional to mass, so heavier masses will decelerate under friction at the same rate as lighter. The principal effect is considered to be air resistance - the driving downhill force is proportional to mass (which is sort of proportional to height cubed), as is the resisting frictional force, but the drag-resistive force is primarily dependent on cross-sectional area (which is sort of proportional to height squared). Hence as you get larger your weight (and momentum) goes up faster than the drag and you'll glide longer if you're heavier - and even more so if you're more spherical rather than more bean-pole like.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
A skier carrying weights would have to be very strong to deal with the extra forces in the turns. I imagine it's not FIS legal anyway.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
GrahamN wrote:
... as you get larger your weight (and momentum) goes up faster than the drag and you'll glide longer if you're heavier - and even more so if you're more spherical rather than more bean-pole like.

On that basis I should be able to glide from the top of the Grande motte to somewhere near Lyons. Laughing
snow report
Axsman wrote:
I seem to remember Neil Armstrong dropping a hammer and a feather on the moon and they both fell together

Apologies for being a bit anal, but it was Dave Scott.
snow conditions
rob@rar, No apologies necessary. I'm sure you are right and my memory was dim. I remember watching this on black and white TV when I was about 12. (so early 70's). snowHead
ski holidays
a good biggun always beats a good little-un...
snow report
Axsman, and they replayed it on QI I think just last week...
ski holidays
Axsman, I met him a few years ago when he was giving a lecture in London. Very nice guy, very unassuming for somebody who has walked on the Moon.
latest report
Axsman wrote:
I was about 12. (so early 70's). snowHead

Stone?

The power of the lard!!
snow conditions
Jeez - I had been thinking about this too the other day. Small world. Got as far as considering what kind of material the weights would have to be so they didn't cause injury on impact - something dense but soft.

Quote:

and even more so if you're more spherical rather than more bean-pole like.

...which explains why I can outglide the DH Laughing Embarassed Laughing
ski holidays
MarjMJ wrote:
Jeez - I had been thinking about this too the other day. Small world. Got as far as considering what kind of material the weights would have to be so they didn't cause injury on impact - something dense but soft.

Mystery solved - http://www.firebox.com/product/1388/The-Beerbelly?src_t=
ski holidays
GrahamN has it right.

See 15.2, here, for the algebra.
ski holidays
FenlandSkier, Twisted Evil Laughing
snow conditions
MarjMJ,

water ? Jelly ? You could get the added benefit of extra padding/protection in case of crash

Patent's mine Smile
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy