Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Progress made in 2010

Poster: A snowHead
So here I am back in Blightly with 2 x 1 week ski holidays all done with and the prospect of no skiing until next year Sad

So do I feel I accomplished anything this year?

Well we skied Les Arcs in Jan and I experienced some of the worst vis that week I think I've ever skied in. I've decided that I don't like not seeing where I'm going. I was also proud to be able to say that I skied down from the top of the Aguille Rouge

I've been on new stiffer skis this year - they took some getting used to - a good 4 days Shocked , and really needed to be carved properly and were harder to cheat and skid round the turns on. However, they were much more stable at speed and gave me confidence that I would not catch an edge on a fast schuss, I also think that learning to drive them must have helped my skiing. Result was I think I will stick with them.

I've played in a small not steep section of off-piste and experienced the problems of getting up after a fall when there is nothing to push against - no firm base layer. Off Piste seems def. snow snake territory and seemed to need a completely different technique - weight much more on the tails of the skis. The section I tried was very heavy snow and although more momentum/speed helped the snow felt very heavy and difficult to push the skis through. I also needed to make a more direct line down the slope.

I've skied a couple more short sections of black run - just to show myself I could still do it.

I have decided that T bars are the devils own creations - I can use them but I am not comfortable on them.

I've found that if you fall off a tobogan don't end up with it between your coccyx and the slope - I can still feel the bruise.

And finally we had a session doing some new - Night Skiing under floodlights. It started to dump down on our last day, so we decided to stuff the packing that night and go back to the slopes when they reopened and night ski. The result was second tracks (so tracks in virgin snow) on a pisted slope then covered with about a foot on undisturbed pure powder - what a magic sensation - absolute silence underfoot and no resistance whatsoever - you just slid on and on even when you thought you should have stopped ages before hand.

So a year of some firsts - roll on 2011
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
"getting up after a fall when there is nothing to push against - no firm base layer" - just cross your poles and use the cross flat on the snow to push up from.

"weight much more on the tails of the skis" - hmm, not usually recommended wink

otherwise good to hear you're going back for more Toofy Grin
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Yoda, I'll try the crossed poles next time Very Happy also, putting the weight on the tails of the skis seemed advantageous in lifting the tips out of the heavy snow - however it did make them more difficult to control - there must be a knack to off piste - I didn't have it Laughing My swiss mate showed us a nice area in the middle of a piste that she said would be fine to use to practice a little - about 200yd x 50yd she knows the resort like the back of her hand so we trusted her judgement. Had a huge laugh if nothing else.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Megamum wrote:
weight much more on the tails of the skis.

No, no and thrice no!! Weight evenly balanced, please don't lean back you will have less control, accelerate more and perhaps cause yourself an injury!
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Quote:

putting the weight on the tails of the skis seemed advantageous in lifting the tips out of the heavy snow - however it did make them more difficult to control - there must be a knack to off piste - I didn't have it

The "knack" of keeping the ski tips out of the heavy snow while still maintain control, is simply lift up your forefoot.

There's just enough movement allowed in the boot to translate that uplift of the foot into the uplifting of the ski tips. Very Happy

Also, skiing with a bit more speed and NOT turning too far off the "fall line" makes skiing heavy snow less tiring.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Heavy snow? - Go to Australia for a ski season and you will get all the practice you need. Activate the muscles in your inner thighs to stabilise the skis, and in your core to help you with getting knocked back and forth in the clumpy bits. Keep focused on making the next turn DOWN the hill (don't traverse too much) if you are struggling or make a bad turn. The momentum is your friend and will help you out a little. An Austrian Staatliche used to tell me to 'suck it up and keep turning'. The attitude really helped you to keep driving not go riding. Remember you don't want out of control speed - that will lead to a close encounter with a rock or tree, and is unhealthy to ribs, knees, etc. You want to have momentum that YOU are directing and controlling.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I shall have remember to re-visit this thread for off piste tips before I go next year Very Happy Obviously I need a more subtle approach to keeping the tips from digging in, I shall have to try what abc, suggests. It was interesting to ski the different surface though and I think it was easier on the new skis than the WM's would have been. I fell once on three attempts through the area so didn't think I'd done too bad for a first tentative try. However, it wasn't until I tried getting up - as I wrote above, that I truly realised the apprently bottomless nature of off-piste snow Laughing It was a whole different ball game to a foot of fresh powder on a hard piste.

Oh, yes, I also had several plays on small areas of 'bumps' in Les Arc's too - no apparent technique deployed and it must have looked haphazard at best (I didn't fall though), but again I had a crack at them without worrying about doing so - something has def. kicked in confidence wise.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Yoda wrote:
"getting up after a fall when there is nothing to push against - no firm base layer" - just cross your poles and use the cross flat on the snow to push up from.

" Toofy Grin

Excellent tip, I usually make one of my sons climb back up to rescue me Laughing Laughing
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Megamum, maybe have a specifically "off piste" lesson. I did that in January, and it was extremely helpful. We mostly stayed on piste for the first part, practising the right kind of turns and timing, then when we did go into the softer stuff, Stéphane picked the right line for me, then stood at the bottom raising his pole up and down and shouting to get me into the right rhythm. Which I occasionally actually managed to do. Was great fun, and I didn't fall over - or at least, just one slight plop to the side which was no problem to get up from. He showed me some good spots to practice on my own, and I had enough confidence to go back and try it the next day, though the snow was getting heavier. Having succeeded in not falling gave me the motivation to get back at it - I did find it too tiring when I kept falling in the past (despite knowing the crossed pole trick). After a fresh fall snowfall I did some quite good turns down an unpisted black run, though there wasn't a huge depth of snow on it - conditions were really easy, first thing in the morning, before it mogulled.

My breakthrough for 2010 is being able to do some really quite good one-footed turns down blue runs - loads of successive turns on the left foot, quite quick, and not just on really gentle bits. But on the right foot I can still only do gentle bits - and only then on a good day - so for the second half of the season my goal is to practice series of turns on the right foot whenever possible. And do the powder again when conditions are right.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Megamum, you forgot something: you also learned how to spell 'schuss'. Toofy Grin

I'm glad other people have difficulty getting up in deep snow. I haven't even cracked the crossed poles method and I know that's why I'm scared to fall when off-piste, which inhibits my progress hugely: I'm not worried about hurting myself, just about having difficulty in getting up and, worst of all, keeping the other people I'm skiing with waiting for ages. Is it acceptable/polite to request not to be tail end charlie, so that there's always someone behind to help? Being of an independent frame of mind, I'm embarrassed to do that too. Embarassed
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Hurtle, so I did LOL

I did try pushing against a pole wondering if it would spread the load across the snow, but there wasn't enough resistance in a single pole to have an effect. I didn't try crossed poles, but it has to be worth trying. Hurtle, don't tell anyone, but when I fell in the deep stuff I floundered like a stranded whale for about 10 mins and then my night in shining armour appeared and hauled me up on the end of his ski pole Laughing So I wouldn't worry about asking not to be tail end Charlie!
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Quote:

Is it acceptable/polite to request not to be tail end charlie, so that there's always someone behind to help?

Start off earlier so there's someone behind you?

I've fallen in deep snow enough to believe the "difficulty" in getting up is at least 50% mental: the worry about others waiting is half of the energy expenditure!

When skiing by myself, if I did fall in deep snow, I had all the time in the world to get back up! So I don't bother rushing the process...

- First, take a few deep breath or maybe even laugh out loud for the predicament you're in.

- I generally lay "in" the snow for a few extra second just to relax. It's not like it'll make any difference with that few seconds of delay, in a process that's going to take minutes at best!

- Then, do the cross-pole trick to just sit up and access the situation: Are all your gear still with you? Did the ski came off? How far up the hill is it? etc...

- Hopefully, you still have your skis on your feet or it's at least nearby. Otherwise, it's a whole different problem (having to cover some distance in deep snow to retrieve lost gear...)!

- When it's my turn to wait for my companion who fell in deep snow, I know it's going to be a while. I will amuse myself with a trail map or check my phone messages etc. Shouting instructions from below rarely help the situation -- the exception being if the "victim" doesn't know what to do, though in that situation, it would be best to have someone skiing BEHIND the newbie...

Last, but not least, when you eventually fallen in deep snow for enough number of times, the process become more smooth. (by which I mean both the falling down part and the getting up part Wink )
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
abc, Laughing Laughing Nice post!
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Quote:

Is it acceptable/polite to request not to be tail end charlie, so that there's always someone behind to help? Being of an independent frame of mind, I'm embarrassed to do that too.

Do it - although if I was skiing offpiste with someone liable to take a tumble/loose a ski, I would insist they go in the middle, both for safety and the fact I cba to wait for them to sort themselves out! I doubt your mates will have a problem with it.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
If I am in a group with guys/gals who are experiencing off piste or powder for the first time, or even difficult piste conditions for their level of skiing, I will hang back to make sure they are ok, assist the fallen or catch up with them when they have travelled a decent distance. I am a ski friendly boarder Very Happy
latest report
Tail-end Charlie is usually chosen because they are amongst the least likely to fall and can therefore offer assistance as required and make sure everyone ahead is OK. Does mean they don't get first tracks much though rolling eyes I tell myself that skiing chopped up stuff must be good for technique Madeye-Smiley
ski holidays
Yoda, every man/woman for themselves for the first few runs Little Angel
snow report
Always good to have a tail-end sweeper! You can always swap around!!!

Don't forget we erm okish off pisters used to suffer the ignominy also!

I learnt that the hard way just in Verbier where I got my head bitten off by a friend of mine! Jeeze she was mad at me! rolling eyes
latest report
Quote:

- When it's my turn to wait for my companion who fell in deep snow, I know it's going to be a while. I will amuse myself with a trail map or check my phone messages etc.

I normally amuse myself by taking photos of the victim
snow conditions
Yoda, Don't tell my ski companions that or they'll make me go in front. As it is I like to bring up the rear, but that doesn't in any way mean I'm least likely to fall. If they know where they are going we let the kids go first then BMF_skier and then me, in tricky conditions - bad vis, a new run we don't know etc. BMF leads with the kids in the middle and me at the back. However, sometimes he catches me not trying hard enough and then he makes me ski at the front Shock
ski holidays
Yoda wrote:
Tail-end Charlie is usually chosen because they are amongst the least likely to fall and can therefore offer assistance as required and make sure everyone ahead is OK.

I don't think so. Shocked Miss out on fresh tracks?

No friends on powder days. Toofy Grin Laughing
snow report
I think I'm going to bank my pressie's this year and take some lessons next season. I think I've now got to the point where I can make the new skis behave safely with me and the confidence to have a bash at what an instructor asks me. Maybe I might have some on piste lessons and towards the end of the week maybe ask to try some off piste skills - my god is this really me talking! Shocked
snow report
Megamum wrote:

The result was second tracks (so tracks in virgin snow) on a pisted slope then covered with about a foot on undisturbed pure powder - what a magic sensation - absolute silence underfoot and no resistance whatsoever - you just slid on and on even when you thought you should have stopped ages before hand.

It's addictive and once you get a feel for it, nothing else compares to untracked fresh powder.
As everyone says don't lean back, just try to flex your ankles more to lift the tips, take a slightly more direct line than you normally would (the deeper snow will keep your speed down naturally) and bring your skis closer together. But otherwise the technique is the same as for on piste. It just takes time and practice to adjust to the feel and speed of deeper snow. Hiring fatter powder skis will help a lot too, but it's not a necessity. Technique is far more important.
ski holidays
Quote:

Hiring fatter powder skis will help a lot too, but it's not a necessity. Technique is far more important.

Fatter skis will help in enjoying the snow, IF one's technique is too lacking to enjoy it on regular width skis.

But it hides technical deficiency so one is slower to improve.

It's a balance between too easy that it inhibits learning, vs too hard that it discourage learning.
snow conditions
Megamum, you don't need to get your tips out of the snow. So long as your skis aren't diving you are fine.
snow conditions
I must say I don't think you should be over conscious of "keeping tips up" and suspect, Megamun, that if you are thinking too much that you have to do something special to ensure this, you will end up with your weight off centre (back) and lose some control as has been said. Where I know I start thinking more consciously is in deep lumpy slushy crap where a bit of fore and aft adjustment is needed. Hitting a slushy mogul with a tad too much fore rather than a wee bit aft is quite comical for those watching. The neatness of the somersault out of the well embedded skis can be quite graceful but somewhat embarrassing. Embarassed
snow report
ccl, I think I hit one of those - a slushy mogully mound - on the 2nd half of the red coming down from Aiguille Rouge - where you start after the mid station - big snowsnake buried deep in it and I stuck a ski tip straight through one of its loops - took the tumble you describe LOL.

When I tried the off piste area I don't think I literally had my weight back, but I was making a conscious effort unweight the front of the skis - it was fairly heavy when I tried it - not like the fresh powder on night skiing night through which I was happy to let the skis run through tips and all. However it was interesting to try the deeper snow in general on my new skis with their extra width (78mm) I think they did a better job than the old narrower ones would have done.

I think what the playing in it all did do was to show me that the confidence is still growing - I am now happy to try something different even if I do struggle in it, and if I succeed then I must learn something in the process.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy