Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

aaaaah, whats going on!

Poster: A snowHead
Typical, forecast is for loads of cloud, mild termparatures and rain up to 2500 metres in the French Alps, all that lovely snow will be washed away by the time i get there on Saturday. Dont fancy zero visibility skiing.

Sigh, its like skiing in Scotland!

Sad Sad
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Yep looks dicey from Saturday, rain/snow limit around 2100m in the Tarentaise. Don't panic, still time for it to change....
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
tomski01, which sites are you looking at?
http://www.snow-forecast.com/ is showing freezing level at 800m Saturday and 450m Sunday for La Plagne.
Meteo-France does show "rain" on the way and rising temperatures on Friday.
Chamonix-weather.com suggests "Friday to Sunday : disturbance crossing over - fœhn wind period likely ahead."**
Courmayeur predicts snow over the weekend (but then I have noticed this site always predicts snow!) with max temperatures of -6C.
Morzine has +4C and a freezing level of 2600m for Saturday.
You picks your money and takes your choice.... I'm sure you'll have a great time.

**But if you want to really depress yourself, then read this article about Fohn winds: http://www.suite101.com/article.cfm/science_sky/98720.
I thought the term "Snow Eaters" quite horrible.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Saturday and Sunday are still too far off really to be reliably forecast. By tomorrow I might believe a Saturday forecast, but 4 days is pushing it.

I'm off on Saturday, so I'm hoping meteo are wrong!
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Well, so long as they are wrong about the freezing level then ill be happy with that, all the lovely snow washed away (or sucked off as in that article!)....i guess if you look on the brightside, at least there is plenty there at the moment, so it doesnt spell complete disaster, and the upperslopes will be amazing!

Sigh...im just trying to convince myself really!

As you say, you get a bargain, one thing you cant predict is the weather!

Have good time anyway everyone Very Happy , im now at the stage where i cant sleep properly, getting excited!
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
If you want to be really depressed, check out http://www.avalanche-net.com/ - click on "prévisions méteo" - then the area of France you're interested in. Grit your teeth, then look at the coming Friday/Saturday/Sunday/Monday just about everywhere.... Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
PG, thanks for the site: have added to favourites. As a local you must know the place better than the rest of us (and my French is not good), but:
1. "Temps en Plaine" is presumably temperature in the valley
2. "Isotherme 0°C" is the freezing level which is not the same as the rain/snow transition point.
3. Conditions can vary dramatically from valley to valley in the Alps
4. Meteo-france has already reduced the temperature for Saturday by 2C.
Cheer up Tomski: you'll be fine. (Wish I was coming too, but got to wait until Easter).
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Jonpim, Spot on, and I'd agree with (3) especially with regard to precipitation... although temperatures are usually reasonably uniform over a given area. Keep up the trend Meteo-France!
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Snow Forecast are predicting a freezing level for les Arcs at or around 1600m. Which ain't so bad, But they are forecasting up to fifty odd cm of snow over the next few days at top lift level.
So chin up ANYTHING could happen.
I reckon your in for some pow days.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Hmmm, snow-forecast have gone mad now!

132km/hr winds on Tuesday (that much be a mistake), 3000m freezing level on monday....but yes, as you say with a crazy forecast like that itll certainly be an interesting week!

any ideas for activities in mottaret if the conditions are dire....is there not a spa bath around the 3V somewhere?!
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
tomski01, is your snow-forecast.com the same as mine? I can only get data as far as sunday night. Max wind is 45km/hr southeasterly on Saturday night. Freezing level 1700 on Sunday afternoon. Webcam picture looks lovely.
(Bormio looks like it's going to be buried tomorrow.)
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
They have updated the raw data on the hompage, but the individual resort pages get updated later i think...different pic completely to the current resort data.

Tonnes of snow forecast this weekend prior to the big thaw tho, so hopefully itll last out til the next snowfall!

Although, maybe a 3000m freezing level is a more typical March temperature, i dont know, its been a while!
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
They do mention their having network problems today on the front page.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Taking another look (for the Savoie) at http://www.avalanche-net.com/ who knows, we could be in for a fair dump over the weekend if their forecast is accurate, it should be snowing above 1500 -1800m....
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
At last my Times newspaper is restored to proper size so you can see the synoptic chart. (I've been fobbed off with the tabloid version lately). There is a strong high over Russia which is being "attacked" by a huge Atlantic low. The low will win and thus bring in, initially, warm wet winds from the South West. There is a possibility that this battle will result in a sort of stalemate that will cause our beloved Alps to be stuck with hot winds from Africa (the notorious "snow eater"). As likely, is the situation that we will get an ever cooling dump that will give us snow followed by a cool showery period as the depression enters the "cold sector" phase. The longer the battle goes on the more the depression weakens and the less threat there is to our snow. All sorts of outcomes are possible, but it will be pretty statistically unlikely that we will get a major thaw as early as mid-March. I'm given to fretting about snow, but I'm pretty confident I will have plenty of white stuff to play on in mid April.
snow report
Can you give me a reliable forecast for Sunday and Monday around Saalbach, Kaprun, and wherever else it is I am skiing those two days?
snow report
Snow-forecast only goes up to sunday at the moment. Forecast for Saalbach is for light snow with the FL about 1500m on sunday with moderate wind.
Powder day today though!
Similar for Kaprun but with heavy snow for sunday night (20cm)
As Chris says thought this is in an unreliable time frame.
snow report
Wear The Fox Hat, You are much better asking the local professionals. My interest in meteorology stemps from my yachting experience. When it comes to looking 3-4 days ahead, you can have as good a guess as the pros, but for up-to date data on what is actually going to happen they are the people to ask.

Austria has since Christmas been totally unaffected by Atlantic weather, and has had a great season for this reason. They have had all their weather from Russia, effectively and that has been cold with plenty of snow. I've not been looking at Austria as I'm not going there until next Christmas, but I can't see that cold air mass shifting very quickly from there just yet.

I'll repeat what I posted once before. The Times was full of stories that low-lying Austrian resorts were doomed by global warming. The snow gods have deluged Austria ever since!
ski holidays
Serre Chevalier webcam shows snow clouds gathering over the mountain tops. Snow-forecast predicts rain at bottom station by Sunday. BUT-heavy snow on higher slopes. Looking good!
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy