Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

small resort to take the kids for a long weekend

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi, anyone got a recommendation for a small resort, 1-2hrs transfer (flying Liverpool / manchester) to take kids, (8 and 10 can ski difficult greens) lessons in the morning, but Dad's can stay relatively close by but with a few blue/reds??

looking to go late April??

thanks guys
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
1063roberts, welcome to SnowHeads snowHead

I'm not an expert in the area of late season skiing, but this may be difficult as you will need to find a 'ski' airport which has flights from Man/Liv, but also a short transfer at the other end, AND is still operating those flights at the end of April. Whichever resorts meet those criteria, would also need good snow conditions very late in the season, which is going to mean high, and this may be hard to find within an hour or two of the airport. Off the top of my head, Val Thorens would be OK for snow (Snow Heads runs it's EOSB - End of Season Bash - there then), but is further away from most entry points. Avoriaz may also be OK, but is a bit off a faff to get to with kids, and you may not be able to find accommodation for a short stay. Someone may be along shortly with some suggestions, so fingers crossed Very Happy
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
1063roberts, welcome to snowheads. snowHead that's a very tall order as few resorts are even open in late April. Avoriaz closes 25 April. To be fairly sure of decent snow I'd go to Tignes - it's a bit further to drive than Val Thorens but the snow will probably be better. Mid April you would have more choice - you could try Flaine, which is very close to Geneva, but it would be a gamble. Could be lovely, or could be a slushfest.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Are you looking for a long weekend with 4 days skiing or a long weekend allowing for getting there and back with a couple of days skiing, and what sort of budget? Depending whether you want to book ahead or hold off to see how conditions/weather pan out I'd be flabbergasted if CairnGorm Mountain is not open for snowsports late April and there are decent length green runs at the very top of the snowsports area so are the most snow sure slopes. Snow permitting it's possible to ski from the top of the area to the Base Station entirely on green slopes, 1650ft of vertical, or 1300ft to the mid-station of the Funicular Railway.

It would be possible to travel by train overnight from Manchester (d 23.20 Fridays) to Aviemore for CairnGorm, connecting with the ScotRail Sleeper at Preston at 00.17hrs and return to Manchester for 6am Monday. Travelling overnight like this depending on your own work pattern this could be done any weekend as it wouldn't require time of school/work.

This would also work for Crianlarich for Glencoe, but the easier green runs are limited to the lower parts of the mountain, so for your criteria, maybe one for sooner rather than later. See the Glencoe by sleeper thread: http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?p=1404373&highlight=sleeper#1404373

For a family on the sleeper you can get 2x 2berth cabins side by side with an interlocking door between the cabins. See www.scotrail.co.uk
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Wow, thanks guys, I did Morzine / Avoriaz with the lads, loved Les Gets. So I could venture back there. I do like the idea of Cairn Gorm. The train would be an adventure for the kids restricted with the flights from L'Pool etc

time for some research on your advice, many thanks
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Quote:

loved Les Gets. So I could venture back there

not to LG you couldn't, closes 18 April.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
1063roberts, I suspect small resort + late april will equal a small, closed resort Wink

You could try La Tania, that will shut 25th April, it is linked into the huge 3 Vallees ski area, but it's a 'small' resort in it's own right. It has a green and a blue down to it, but with one gondola and one chair you can get easy access to some lovely greens and blues in Courchevel 1800, and with a bit more effort get over to 1650....then get the kids into the Indians ski run, which they will love!
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Until 25 April there is a reasonable range of options, though lower and/or southerly runs could well be very slushy, unskiable or even closed. After that, options are severely limited. But conditions in Tignes should still be good - though it's a 3 hour drive from Geneva. I'd go the extra mile to Tignes rather than Val Thorens, personally.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy