Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Are Dynafit bindings possible in fast pist skiing??

Poster: A snowHead
I'm looking for Dynafit bindings that would be as strong and good as possible for fast and aggressive pist skiing, can anyone give me advice?? I'm thinking about buying Dynafit skis for touring, but want to be able to use them also in the pist for fast skiing... Is it even possible with their bindings? Thanks!!
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Yes. Well kinda, fast piste skiing is a relative value, how much do you weigh and how fast do you ski?

I haven't needed to ski my Dynafits on groomers all day, but during access (etc) I ski my Dynafits pretty fast on piste. Not sure I would hammer a mogul line at the same speed that do alpine bindings.

I know lots of people that ski Dynafits exclusively and have no worries.

DO make sure you're engaged properly. I think all Dynafit users have popped out at some point because they didn't click in properly - which could lead to loosing a ski or two at Mach loony.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
[quote="parlor"]Yes. Well kinda, fast piste skiing is a relative value, how much do you weigh and how fast do you ski?

Ok, thanks Parlor. I weigh about 60 kg, and I ski very fast. But I guess I should be fine. Can you still tell me which of the different Dynafit bindings you would recommend? Are there big differences between them?
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
60kg. No problem.

I sat my CSIA Level 1 in Scarpa touring boots and the tour lite bindings (2002 model).

And I weigh 100kg
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anything is possible but, if you value your knees then, I'd recommend you stick to normal alpine bindings while on the piste. Dynafits do not work like normal bindings and are NOT DIN rated. The numbers are only there as a guide. Also, they are quite 'faffy' and you will soon get frustrated trying to get into them while your mates are half way down the first piste.

For all your answers look here:
http://www.wildsnow.com/bindings/dynafit-backcountry-skiing-bindings/
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Snowfinn, at 60kg get barons...you won't be going tele in those...

okbye
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
snowpatrol, you don't "insta-tele" in Dynafits. The only AT binding that goes tele are the old Titinals and any Freeride (inc + or Pro) that haven't been set up properly.

altis, do you have poor proprioception?

Snowfinn, the ST10 & FT12 are the freeride range. They can be used with brakes. They are pretty light and very strong. ST10 has DIN range 5-10, FT12 is 5-12. If you can find them the older models are called Comforts, before that they had Tri-Step but the toe isn't meant to be as good.

I don't know much about the Lites or Speeds, they are even lighter that the ST / FT range. You can't use a brake, DINs are only 5-10. I'm going to put a set on my full touring skis.

I'm still not sure how fast your fast is but at 60kg I wouldn't worry too much.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
parlor, what i also meant to say was.....get barons.....you won't look like a pu$$y in those wink

okbye
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
parlor wrote:
altis, do you have poor proprioception?

Not that I'm aware of.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Quote:

Snowfinn, the ST10 & FT12 are the freeride range.

Thanks Parlor. But just one more question, what is the difference between the ST and the FT?
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Snowfinn, around 40 or 50 Euro if you shop smart. The real difference is in the DIN value, the FT12 go to 12 and the ST go to 10. There is a carbon fibre backbone on the the FTs but I'm not sure it does much...
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I broke my FT's after 8 days use skiing a bump line. I had used them 90% off piste but had hit 2 or 3 6-8 ft drops. Took them down bump line and the tow piece blew out about 15 m down. If you use them for touring and once in a while hammer some carving turns on piste no problem BUT they are easily broken with heavy abuse. I'm 6ft and weigh 76kg.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
stone88, you blew the toe piece or ripped it from the ski? Have you got any pics?
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Blew it out. It's still stuck firmly to the ski but when I click in, as soon as I put any pressure on, I click out again. My skis are out in val d'isere but I'm there on Sat so I'll try and get some pics
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
stone88, Not sure if that isn't just a FT problem... I have the same problem as of day 1 with a set - did a small Ollie back onto a piste on day1 and both toes 'half-released' - most disconcerting. Personally I ski with the toes cranked up one notch towards locked, though obviously I cannot recommend this for the long-term health of anyones knees.
snow report
offpisteskiing wrote:
stone88, Not sure if that isn't just a FT problem... I have the same problem as of day 1 with a set - did a small Ollie back onto a piste on day1 and both toes 'half-released' - most disconcerting. Personally I ski with the toes cranked up one notch towards locked, though obviously I cannot recommend this for the long-term health of anyones knees.

Lou Dawson talked about that recently when comparing to the new onyx binding here. The Onyx binding might be a better half way house if your looking to ski aggressively.

Seems like plenty of people on TGR have had problems with the toe pieces when skiing bumps. Personally I don't think I'll ever go near dynafits due to reduced knee protection but I do have knackered knees.
snow report
As I said, I've got older Comforts and I've skied them pretty hard (apart from in Moguls). This winter I've hit a few drops, up to around 25' and had no issues with the toes. I've only come out twice, once was because my toes weren't engaged properly, the other time, I hit a tree. As above ^ in gnarly terrain I do lock the toes out but most of the time I just make sure I'm clicked in safely.

IMO the Onyx is even more of a pain to get in to on steeps than the Dynafit. The only advantage of the Onyx is the tour mode can be engaged (easily) without taking the skis off, which, IMO, isn't enough of a bonus over the extra weight.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy