Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Where to find catered self drive accommodation?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
OH managed to acquire an ear infection (now recovered and back to work) and my ski holiday has had to be put back a week to w/c 13 March, and we're now driving, regardless of the fact that it will cost more than a last minute deal... as he's heard too much about people flying too soon after an ear infection and doing permanent damage... France (Alps) is the plan due to distance - unless anyone has any suggestions of other places a similar distance away. Andorra/Pyrenees also further than we really want from Calais.

Driving plan is pretty well sorted, ferry booked (thanks to parental donation of unused carnet ticket) and we're planning to go most of the way on Friday, and ski a bit on the Saturday - stuff can be left in car for day. I have a French bank account for the tolls, a road map of France and an adequate command of the French language. Snow chains will be acquired, but car coped really well on untreated lanes around where we live during our snow incidents - OH had to drive in it a lot due to his job and being one of the few employees with a soft roader.

BUT - don't know where to look for accommodation. OH wants to go catered as it's more sociable for the evenings (if you get lucky on the chalet of course). So ideally would like to be picking up the last double room in a chalet rather than rattling round an empty catered chalet - might as well go self catered and save £££ if that was the case.

So far we've eliminated La Rosiere (been, enjoyed and don't want to go back until we're both good enough to do off piste) and Les Deux Alpes (too much of the skiing is at altitude - same reasoning as not flying). Ideally not Espace Killy as we went there last year, but if the price and other things were right it would be an option. Not fussed about "big name" resorts so long as the snow conditions look OK

I get emails from one consolidation site which has accommodation only, but do other tour ops do self drive to catered chalets? Most self drive things seem to be self catered as far as I can tell!

Very confuzzled

Thanks

R
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Randomsabreur, start here
www.mountainheaven.co.uk

www.skiamis.com

www.ernalow.co.uk
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Randomsabreur, if you really want catered, try PMing dallypaul - I suspect he'll be fully booked but they have a fab chalet near Morzine
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Randomsabreur, try posting a request on Chalets Direct Winter Solutions Room setting out your requirements and see what comes up (or even just browse the other recent requests on there and see whats on offer)
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Randomsabreur, we have various catered chalets in Grand Massif, PdS, Mont Blanc area, La Tania, and all are self-drive. Drop me a PM if of interest and we can see what is still available
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Randomsabreur, I will second Chalets Direct, and there is also Simply Alpine.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
chaletsdirect.co.uk is also a good site - use their solutions room

Oops sorry - see this has already been posted

Dare I say it but Ski Beat always used to have the option to drive
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Boris, I think Crystal and Skiworld did too, we certainly had people in our chalet in Les Arcs who had driven, they had been elsewhere to ski the week before.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Randomsabreur,

Try Le Ski for Courchevel, La Tania and Val D'Isere or Ski Val for Val D'Isere (I know ideally you didn't want Espace Killy but you never know - the price might be right!). They both offer discounts for making own transport arrangements.

Have been with both before and would recommend them.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Thanks everyone - hoping to book early next week. Nothing like leaving it to the last minute, but at least we don't need flights!
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
You could also try Ski Famille for Les Gets or Les menuires and Ski Morzine for Morzine. Both very good companies.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Just booked Courchevel Le Praz for £329 each en suite, nice looking chalet. Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Formule 1 booking in Chambery for Friday night: Sorted. Ferry: Sorted and details printed

Decided to risk low resort in high area as all the pistes back were open when I checked the Courchevel interactive piste map this morning. If we have to download by gondola so be it - I might still be if all the ways down are evil bumpy things - Red/Blacks down mostly. Oh well, maybe I will end up learning to cope with bumpy things. Equally we could always drive up to a different village if I can't hack it.

Just need to sort some snowchains from somewhere - Halfords website about as much use as a chocolate teapot (but hoping we're not going to need them so easier/cheaper to return unused to a shop!)
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
http://www.snowchains.co.uk/main/techna.htm

These chains are awesome, really easy to put on and take off, and are a reasonable price, i drove a mini bus up and down the mountain in Davos in December and we had the slightly more pricy ones but they work on the same principle, worth every penny.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy