Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Boot problem discovered 30yrs too late

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Thirty years ago when I bought my first skis of course I also invested in a pair of ski boots. A minimum of time was taken in selecting what I thought were reasonably comfortable boots and I progressed to the slopes of Kitzbuhel and managed to move from the basics I had learned in Scotland some years earlier on wooden skis, cable bindings and leather boots to some sort of acceptable level of ability i.e. I did not fall over much and generally avoided injury. The sport did not come particularly easily and for several years I persisted with my equipment until I decided that it was easier to rent equipment rather than haul the Rossignols and my Caber boots around the airports.

I certainly found the new shorter skis easier to handle and hire boots, although often uncomfortable to some degree, seemed to offer a more efficient attachment to the skis!

A few weeks ago I was idly browsing the web and entered the model of boot that I used to use and still have, lying in their boot bag in the loft. To my amazement I came up with a most interesting article in "Skiing Heritage" magazine of the ISHA. In particular the article discussed notorious failures of design over the years and among these were my Caber Biosystem boots. Apparently designed by a surgeon/skier they were supposed to assist the skier by having a patented footbed which adjusted to the skier's leg movements. As the article says...bad idea! I unearthed the boots again and sure enough if you push the sole inside the bed appears to cant under pressure.

The skiers of the US returned these boots in droves and there is an amusing account of one retailer throwing the boots at the hapless sales rep from the company involved.

Actually these "Skiing Heritage" articles are a fascinating read and the website has some excellent archival footage of skiing.

Looking back I don't know whether to Laughing or Crying or Very sad
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Well you made me Laughing
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
lordjohn, Great story. Laughing
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
I had a pair of those..............with my Rossignol Equipe SM skis!
Long time ago, and can't really remember them having any great effect.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy