Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

How do I measure for a Helmet ?

Poster: A snowHead
Probably a really stupid question rolling eyes but without actually going into a ski shop, how do I measure for a helmet, are the sizes done in cm' or inches or do I have to divide something up to get the size. I know how to size up for a horse riding helmet but gather a ski one is different. I did try and find out in a local store but got a bit miffed when the shop owner belittled my Daughter for wanting a Pink one telling her it wasn't a fashion item but an essential bit of kit, so I won't be going back there !! There are some lovely new ones on Ebay so will go for one of those once I get the size.

Thanks. Very Happy
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Don't buy one without trying it on. The inside fit is different, even though the circumference might be the same.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Would second hyweljenkins, and keep it on for several minutes too before you buy it- 'snug' can turn out to be 'painful' as far as ears are concerned I discovered. And what started off as a cheap option then wasn't as I couldn't bear to keep it on! But second time lucky fortunately. The shapes vary so what fits best will depend on head shape and helmet shape.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Ski helmets are measured by circumference in cm (which are standardised) just above your temple, but manufacturers turn this into XXXS/XXS/XS/S/M/L/XL/XXL/XXXL as they decide (but this isn't standardised).

But even if the circumference is correct, that doesn't mean the helmet will fit as head shapes vary. You really do need to try it on first.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Trying it on is the only way. Check for good coverage, and that even when not fastened it is a snug fit - if you lightly move the helmet around it should move the skin on your head. Make sure it's not too tight though.

Don't buy helmets off ebay - you can't know if they haven't been in an impact before (the foam could be damaged, which isn't always visible, and would seriously interfere with the helmets performance.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Thanks everyone for your input, it looks like a trip to a non patronising store is in order rolling eyes I couldn't get my Daughter to wear one on our last trip ( her first time on snow) and she wasn't keen on a hat either and got a cold head Laughing but with the increase of accidents she has said she wants to wear one as long as it is pink, so pink it will be.

I have driven past Ski Plus in Chelmsford many a time and have just tried to load the helmets page online and it isn't loading, does anyone know if they stock a good selection ?

If not can anyone suggest any other ski shop in the Colchester area ?

Thanks
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
pippivixen, When I went in there (Ski Plus), before Christmas I guess they had between 10 and 15 between the sexes - a fair selection.

What is said above is correct about the best way being to visit a shop. However, with an eye on the disclaimer in my signature, I have just bought helmets off the internet - new ones mind and not from ebay. They were with adjustable bands - like the B-Square ones that Lidls sometimes stock. I bought one and tried it round my folks, and was that impressed with the fit that I then ordered more - they were not the most expensive either - I tried on many expensive ones in the 'big' stores and couldn't get a comfy fit. You could do similar - maybe enquire if what you buy doesn't fit then can you send it back? If you run into difficulties with the fit as I did then ones with an adjustment in the band may well be worth considering - you might find this type in store. Salomon (I think) do an airfit one that you pump up to fit and up until I found these it was the Salomon that fitted best, but the adjustable one off of internet was a better fit, more comfortable, better made IMV and far, far cheaper. At the end of the day it is the fit that is important - as has been said above and clearly if you can find one in store that fits then that has to be ideal, but if not with a little work the internet could still come up trumps.

I will now don tin helmet and duck
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
pippivixen, I'd strongly agree with all the above advice, having tried on lots of helmets and only one fitted me well - though several purported to be the same size, and even the same make (Giro). I don't think they're a good item to buy off the internet. How old is your daughter? Little kids skiing with me get no choice, I'm afraid. I would never force them to wear a helmet - but if they don't wear a helmet, then they don't ski. Simple.

However, I wouldn't usually buy a helmet for a child - they'd grow out of it so quickly. Most ski hire places have loads to choose from - my granddaughter had to settle for a white one, but we did find some lovely pink goggles! wink I doubt if more than a very small percentage of kids on the slopes are wearing their own personally owned helmets. My granddaughter has very firm ideas about what she will wear, but as all the kids around had helmets on, there were no problems getting her to wear one. And she loved the goggles, though as the weather was dull they were only ever left up on top of the helmet. She had a lovely ski suit a friend found in a charity shop - pink, naturally.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
pippivixen, There's a guy called Dave Peek, who's a good skier and instructor (he instructs for Inspired to Ski - several snowHeads would vouch for his skills and for the fact that he's a nice man) and he runs the following shop in Colchester:
http://www.skisurf.co.uk/
I've never been there, but perhaps it's worth a try.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
pam w, she is 14, so with any luck, what I get her now, should last, as for ski suits, I got an amazing bargain from Mountain Warehouse at Clacton Shopping Village, it is a 2 piece pink set, reduced from £250 to £18 snowHead the jacket had a very small rip on the outer sleeve which was mended by a friend for just £5. The shop has some fantastic bargains if anyone is on the hunt for new ski clothing.

Hurtle, Thanks for that, I went looking for this shop in Peartree Road, Colchetser but couldn't find them and not being able to remember their name, I couldn't look them up either, I am working in Colchester next week, so will go and have a look, thanks.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
pippivixen, the first time I bought a helmet I used the advice above. I tried it on in shop; it was a good fit, I could shake my head with the straps unfastened and the lid didn't move etc.

However, it bedded in quite quickly and the fit became much looser after a few trips. Last year, after smacking it against a snowboarder, I thought I'd better change it.

This time I went for a fit they call in the trade "too tight". Sure enough, for the first two days it did feel like it was squashing my head a bit, I even took it off on a couple of lift rides. But, after those first few days the fit turned to "just right"; dead comfey and snug.

Just my 2p.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
pippivixen, My daughter is 14 and has a Leedom Stomper in Pink Camo which she really likes. It's size M - L and is quite adjustable (in a similar way to a bike helmet). It wasn't terribly expensive if you can find any about.

Laax
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Quote:

This time I went for a fit they call in the trade "too tight". Sure enough, for the first two days it did feel like it was squashing my head a bit, I even took it off on a couple of lift rides. But, after those first few days the fit turned to "just right"; dead comfey and snug

What helmet was it? That doesn' sound right, the foam shouldn't be deforming as that is what saves your brain in an impact!
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Quote:

the shop owner belittled my Daughter for wanting a Pink one telling her it wasn't a fashion item but an essential bit of kit,

Chemmy wears a pink helmet, when my daughter skied with her at the Snowheads bash at Hemel last June they had a love in over each others.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
If you're daughters growing fast (as kids seem to do) buying may be a yearly occurance, but if she's hung up about the colour, why not get her a helmet cover and rent a lid in the resort - she'll get a helmet that'll fit properly, in the colour she likes.
snow report
clarky999, as with boot liners, there will always be some bedding in.

That was a Sweet Trooper Halfcut. The previous helmet was a Protec.
snow report
Fair enough. Have to say I have'nt noticed that with my Rocker or Trooper, but I'm no expert on helmets lol so probs nothing to worry about.
ski holidays
FWIW this is what fitted my kids http://www.sportsdirect.com/no-fear-ski-helmet-boys-901000 They did a nice white one with pink writing in the same style and I can't find that now - I reckon they've sold out. However, if someone wants to try one (and providing you don't have a girly girl they still look OK in black with the red writing) they do have a headband adjuster and at that price I don't think you will go wrong providing you can get a good fit out of it - the build quality is great for the cash - it knocks into a cocked hat some of the dearer brands I've tried on - and believe me I've tried on more than few!!
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy