Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

which snow forecast

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
i recently decided to check the weather forecast 5 days before my ski trip to soll in austria, and 3 different snow forecast websites came up with a different answer for the following monday, snow-forecast said clear and sunny, zoover said cloudy with light snow showers, and j2ski said snow right down to village level, now i"ve been holidaying in mountains for many years and i know that mountain weather is very changeable, it could be sunny in one valley and cloudy in the next, but which one of the internet snow forecasters is the most reliable.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Probably the one you're happily subscribing to? Laughing
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Check 5 of them at once and take an average.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
compostcorner, which ever gives the results you want Toofy Grin
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
The one which says it will snow at night and be sunny in the day.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
compostcorner, when all the forecasts disagree wildly it's usually because the weather is particularly difficult to interpet and a tiny tweak of the computer model one way or the other gives a very different result. Butterly wings, and all that. I don't know Austrian weather, but round our way in France, Chamonix meteo is right more often than the others (and earlier this year, when I was out there and following all the forecasts carefully, meteo France was the most often wrong). If you ask locally, in resort (e.g. ski instructors) they'll probably be pretty certain about the next day, and then shrug their shoulders (or the Austrian equivalent) about anything further off. None of the weather systems are reliable more than a couple of days out, except in particularly settled periods. Doesn't stop us looking at them of course. wink And picking the one we like the look of...
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
compostcorner,

snow forecast.lie.com have sunshine for Tignes this morning Very Happy

Looking out of the window it is snowing once again Very Happy

I would agree with pam w, that the locals know pretty well what will happen during the next day or so. Those long term forecasts are pretty crap.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
compostcorner, I was in Nendaz last week, and the 5-day forecast on j2ski.com was very accurate
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
compostcorner, http://www.ski-finder.co.uk/grab_gfs.html
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
none of them......look out of the window
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I'd suggest the local website http://www.skiwelt.at/en/winter/weather-report-hohe-salve-%281829m%29.html and bergfex http://www.bergfex.com/soell/wetter/ .

You could use the GFS like red 27 suggests if you know how to read them, it helps if you follow them regularly to get a picture of what is going on, snow-forecast is derived from a snapshot of the GFS and therefore lacks much of the broader context, but if it is showing the same weather pattern over a number of readings you can probably have greater confidence in it.

Most of the forecasts beyond three days will tend to fluctuate (though if they don't then you can probably have greater confidence in them too).
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
how far in advance can you estimate the temps/snowfall etc...realistically?
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
barthez1980, someone who knows will be along soon. My understanding is that you can often go out a few days for a general forecast. Chamonix Meteo have been confident this season only 1-2 days any time I've looked. Snowfall is immensely difficult to get right (at least in terms of quantity).
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
About two to three days with some reasonable confidence, but even then there is the potential for significant fluctuation, especially in mountains. Anything further than two to three days will depend a lot, but you may well be able to see broad trends, sometimes with greater or less accuracy depending on the patterns in the forecast. The greater consistency there is in a forecast over a number of days the more confidence you can have. But it is a forecast not an absolute prediction. wink
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy