Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Courchevel : three pistes out of bounds to the plebs for three weeks!

Poster: A snowHead
A first in a French ski resort? From this Thursday, between midday and 3 pm for three full weeks, your 3 Valleys pass will not give you access to the full domain.

How come? The 66 year old Chairman of the South Korean firm Samsung, Lee Kun-Hee, is visiting the resort for a company seminar. A recent convert to skiing, Lee Kun-Hee has persuaded the resort to set aside three pistes for his exclusive use.

Claude Faure, director of the 3 Valleys lift company S3V confirmed that the Korean was concerned for his security, and that they had agreed to cordon off areas of piste for his personal needs during part of the day. Mr Kun-Hee isn’t keen on using chairlifts either, so he’ll be ferried around in a specially provided snow scooter. The Samsung Chairman is paying between 1,200 and 1,500 euros per hour for the privilege.

Local paper the Dauphiné Libéré, concerned that a precedent is being set, has revealed that Lee Kun-Hee will have an entourage of 80 people looking after his personal needs, including 6 ski instructors recruited in the resort by his agent.

Faure suggests that the functioning of the resort will not be affected, with “only 2 hectares of the total 540 in the domain” being out of bounds to the standard pass holder. However he made it clear that the resort believes it can only help its promotional efforts, and points out that the South-East Asian market is one of their main targets.

According to Forbes, Lee Kun Hee is no. 122 on the 2005 list of the world's richest people, with a net worth of some $2.5 billion.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Any idea which pistes?
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
All men are equal, but some are more equal than others?
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
From memory, Samsung had interests in a mega snowdome project for Korea. Maybe he'll want a roof over these runs, too, with climatic control.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Alastair, he's a beginner and the French article mentions "greens and blues", but no piste names.

The resort is trying to argue that it's no different to cordoning off an area for a race, and I suppose there's something in that, but it's not really the same thing.

I'm just imagining a situation where Bill Gates, Abramovitch, the Saudi Crown Prince and a few others all decide to visit Courchevel at the same time....
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
PG,

I take it you will be making similar arrangements for the end of season bash wink
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
and stay at the same luxury hotel....... Laughing
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
6 to 1 instruction - that's pretty serious

But this is a very sad development. Surely the resort realises that this will antagonise the loyal regular visitors?

As someone who is off to Courchevel this w/e I find this news very annoying. I imagine that the affected pistes will be above 1850 and may not be the ones that I would want to use, but i would love to know which ones - and how much of a discount they will give me on my lift-pass!
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Quote:

6 to 1 instruction - that's pretty serious

Understandable if you're from Samsung. Half these people will be helping him with the instruction manual.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Tony Lane wrote:
As someone who is off to Courchevel this w/e I find this news very annoying.

Have you thought of staging a protest? You could set fire to one of their vacuum cleaners or microwaves, in the main street.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Careful - of his 80 'aides' a sizeable proportion will be "security" personnel.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Don't think we need worry about the Saudi Crown Prince - like most of the KSA ruling family he's getting on a bit and nobody's invented a skiing zimmer frame AFAIK. wink
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
...now there's a gap in the market kuwait ian!
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
As far as I can tell they are creating 3 strips, 30 to 40 meters wide that are served by a snow scooter because they are not part of the domain proper although the Samsung guy doesn't like drag lifts (maybe he's a darksider?). Unless someone has more accurate information it is not 3 pistes that will be closed although it is obviously 2 hectares out of the ski area as PG said.

It is certainly better than my local station where ski clubs can take over 2 or 3 of the best pistes in the resort for much of the season during the week.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
So what. market forces at work, no different from any transacation where someone asks for and pays for exclusive use.
snow report
I wonder what he'll do with his 6 ski instructors...I've not managed to wear one out! Toofy Grin
snow report
The BBC report stated that he will be skiing between 12 and 3 . All of us who have attended the Advanced Lunch clinics will have no problem with that, we won't know he's there snowHead
snow report
I think they should charge him alot more than 1500Euros per hour if hes got $2.5b hanging around
ski holidays
rich75 wrote:
I think they should charge him alot more than 1500Euros per hour if hes got $2.5b hanging around

They guy is holding his conference for his top managers in resort so he will be spending a great deal of money. It was possibly difficult for Courchevel to say no given the sums involved and that it is low season. Lots of people get pistes reserved for their exclusive use, such as the British Forces in Val d'Isere in early January. No big deal really. Of course Courchevel 1850 long ago shunned French people of modest income, maybe this move to attract Russian mafia bosses and nouveau riche asians will squeeze the Brits out too.
ski holidays
Please buy this

Samsung excavator
and help this man ski in peace and quiet, free from the danger of piste collisions and assassins.
latest report
Why would anybody, never mind a incredibly wealthy chap like Mr Kun-Hee, visit the Trois Vallee and restrict themselves to skiing an area not much bigger than an indoor snowdome? Seems barking mad to me.
snow report
rob@rar.org.uk, do you think available snowHeads should offer to show him the area properly? snowHead
ski holidays
Ian Hopkinson, if you do, just don't put your hand into your inside pocket to get out your piste map. His 'aides' might be a little jumpy.

[speaks from personal experience]
snow conditions
I wonder how many Snowheads tshirts he wants.
snow report
hyweljenkins, big entourage there, and a man that needs 6 ski instructors isn't going to be happy with just the one t-shirt for himself snowHead

PG, I'll bear that in mind wink
snow conditions
Just another reason not to go near the vile place. It's bad enough to have all the racing lanes here in summer - but it's not actually forbidden to ski in them (although you'd have to be a little mad). I don't suppose there's a risk of getting shot if you do either. I would insist on a reduction in my lift pass rate if not all the pistes are available. Don't we all ski at lunchtime? Best time, surely???
latest report
hyweljenkins wrote:
I wonder how many Snowheads tshirts he wants.

For 80 South Koreans, 10 extra large T-shirts should cover the lot of 'em.
snow report
What you're forgetting (er hem....cough cough....somewhat biased stereotypes coming out here, you have been warned) is that South Koreans are not so....er hem..... um..... concerned with being seen as polite about the display of accumulated wealth as, say, the Japanese are. An arrogant display of what one's wealth can buy is positively embraced by many South Koreans and once the South Korean economy took off this kind of posturing by wealthy South Koreans started happening quite a bit (well, it did in NZ when I was there).

Lets see. He can't ski, he only wants to ski 3 slopes, for 3 hours, and he thinks he needs 6 instructors to help him.
Oh woopdedo. I'm...... not impressed.

BTW does the Brit Royal family block off the slopes when they go skiing???
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
PG, who's pocket did you try sliding your hand into? wink
snow report
Quote:

BTW does the Brit Royal family block off the slopes when they go skiing???

No, but if they bought enough Korean washing machines from this man I'm sure he'd put a word in.
snow report
*uppdate* courtesy of natives

the publicity s too mcuh and the trip may not go ahead!
snow report
Eh? quote from Natives: "Since chairman Lee enjoys skiing" Wot the? Earlier descriptions indicated not someone who could ski, they indicated someone who desperately wanted to learn to. Incidentally my washing machine's a Bosch. Laughing
snow report
David Goldsmith, looks like the resort put their words in the pre-wash cycle and "mangled" the whole shebang wink
snow report
Despite having reserved the beginners' area since Thursday, still no sign of Mr. Lee Kun-Hee as yet. "All the unfavourable press reporting may have put him off," according to a town hall spokesman. The Annapurna Hotel refused to comment on whether the booking had been cancelled. The Natives report (mentioned above) claims the trip has been abandoned, but resort officials remain tight-lipped.

True, the French have been up in arms. Covered by the national press, from Le Monde to national radio and tv stations, condemnation has been pretty universal.

Last edited by You need to Login to know who's really who. on Fri 18-03-05 17:51; edited 1 time in total
snow report
Any attendant publicity for this company on the internet should hereafter be referred to as Spamsung.

Indeed, maybe the whole thing was an ingenious spam, sung to the international media.
snow report
I think it's all a bit sad. I'm sure that 99% of snowHeads, going to the 3V at the same time as Mr Lee, would have much more fun on their 99.9% of the terrain than he would on his 0.1%. The super-rich seem to make life a misery for themselves sometimes. I'd give it all away. Perhaps.
snow report
laundryman, I'd be happy to relieve you of the burden wink

The only advantage of being very rich that I could see would be getting a chauffeur driven car to my private jet, landing at the airport closest to my resort of choice and then having another car whisk me to resort...oh, and someone to put my ski boots on me in the morning and take them off at the end of the day snowHead
snow conditions
Ian Hopkinson, you can get the boot service in some hotels in Aspen.

If I had the money, I'd reserve a slope just for myself. Possibly a ski resort if I could afford it.
snow report
PG, can you sort this out for us for the EOSB. I will pay the costs etc - no problem.
snow report
Let's see.... 1,500 euros per hour plus my commission (20%)... no problem!
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy