Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

World class resorts suggestion?

Poster: A snowHead
Just finished a day's skiing in Snowmass of Aspen in Colorado. Had checked out Aspen Mountain, Aspen Highland and Buttermilk which I hope I could sample in the next few days.

Aspen is indeed a resort with some seriously rich and famous residents or home owners after skiing Copper Mountain, Vail and Beaver Creek. Although I haven't seen enough American resorts to make sensible comparison but I did find Aspen in the same league as

(1) Zermatt, Davos, St Moritz of Switzerland

(2) St Anton/Lech, Ischgl of Austria

(3) Cortina d'Ampezzo of Italy.

In some respect Aspen reminds me of St Moritz as both are located at places difficult to get to. Both have their own airports to facilitate those who can jet themselves in. Designer shops, luxuous goods and fur fashion dominate the shops. Outsiders will find it very hard to find a parking space. Prices of the on-resort properties shoot through the roof. The infrastructure of the resort, layout and set up give a high class feel everywhere. Naturally restaurants are exquisite both in quality and price. Accommodation cost has to be among the highest.

Snow is snow to me and so an expensive resort makes no difference to the skiing. However I do find seeing different things and enjoying the ambience are also parts of the skiing experience. To me these expensive resorts can be enjoyed by anybody who is prepared to stay in accommodation at a convenient distance away from the resort.

Wonder if there are other resorts with similar standing to the above?
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
saikee,
Try Snowbasin, Utah. Home of the 2002 olympic Downhill runs. No on mountain accommodation. Mountain Lodges far superior to Aspen, they make Aspens look shabby in comparison and even Deer Valley arent up to Snowbasins. Gold plated fittings in all the restrooms Shocked complemented with marble or granite. Will post some photos when we return Smile and an empty mountain too Madeye-Smiley

We really enjoyed Aspen on our visits there as its a great town with a laid back feel to it. Try looking at some of the properties in the Canyons where you can pay $1.6 mill just for the plot, but they are huge unlike the plots which are crammed in on Deer Valley Sad

Thers plenty of money in USA ski resorts if thats what you want to see, I really prefer more rustic and local resots over here wink
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
saikee wrote:

Snow is snow to me

No way! Snow is THE most important factor in a ski resort for me. Second up is ski-in-out access and spacious accommodation. Last on my list are celebrity boutiques and expensive restaurants - although I do like good healthy food served in a casual friendly atmosphere.

Sure snow is snow

snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
That last pic is visible from outer space.

I so do not want to go to Bansko.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
uktrailmonster, out of interest where is the first photo taken?
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
I found Davos to be overpriced and a fairly crappy resort. It's nowhere near the quality of many of the middle of the range French resorts. Might have been top of the tree in 1975, certainly isn't now.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
the 'Coe

proper Cool
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Kitz' is probably up there on a good snow season.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
When was the Bansko pic taken. Will give Bansko a miss for a while untill they put in another ride up the mountain and open up more ski areas.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
(reduced size of Bansko pic)
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
St Moritz and Aspen are in a league of their own.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Heavenly on the California/Nevada border
Kitzbuhel, Austria
Park City resorts (PCMR, DV, Canyons), UT
Snowbasin, UT -- the biggest and nicest looking resort you never heard of!
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
World class resorts, apart from the first post ??
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Today I skied the Aspen Mountain and then took a bus to do a few runs in Buttermilk too.

Now when I walked up the Silver Queen gondola there was a resort worker handing out coffee which seemed to be free to me. We found no queue anywhere in Aspen Mountain even at the Silver Queen gondola. The lifts are not up to the European standard as some have no foot rest or even a restraint bar! The only safety provision was a sign requesting the users not to swing the chairs.

The bus services between the 4 unlinked resorts is top notch though. For two journeys and wife and I were the only passengers between Buttermilk and Aspen. The Aspen resorts gave me an overwhelming impression that there were more workers serving the visitors. Services are better than all the other resorts we have visited.

It is difficult to single out a world class resort and everybody has his/her own favourite. Some prefer unique features like in Zermatt one can board a train to go up the slope or ski to different train stations like in Davos. In Aspen Mountain one has a full view of the fully developed town of Aspen but some may prefer seeing the Swiss Matterhorn or Sella massif in Dolomites. There are others who find seeing a large white area of a frozen lake, like St Moritz, everytime taking a rest is breathtaking. Some skiers/boarders like their bums kept warm on heated seats anda bubble to shield from the wind and snow. However as everybody has to use a restroom some times then finding a clean, dry and well kept toilet, say to a standard even better than some international airports, is comforting.

One common denominator that I could single out in these resorts is their accommodationa are expensive which help to reduce the number of piste users. Thus
a visitor has more space, less hassle with queues and less likely to get knocked down by irresponsible fellow piste users.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I might be a lone voice in this, but does anyone else feel that the skiing in Zermatt is just a bit disappointing for a resort with a world class reputation? Obviously the village itself is lovely, the Matterhorn is breathtaking and by all accounts there are some lovely mountain restaurants. But I thought the skiing domain felt very small, probably because it is very disjointed, the lift system a bit inefficient and the skiing felt a bit 'samey' across the entire piste map. I've only skied there for one week so I didn't see all the skiing that was on offer, but I got to cruise around a large proportion of the pistes and came away with a slight notion of "is that it?".

saikee, how much are you spending on lift passes? How do you think these compare with prices in Europe?
latest report
rob@rar, I don't disagree with any of that, and it's definitely a place for more lunching and concomitantly less skiing. But the whole package still casts a spell on me.
latest report
rob@rar,

I have to agree most so-called world class resorts offer poor choice of skiing relative to the fully rigged and adequately linked big resorts designed to attract the mass.

Zermatt would be not muct a resort choice if its Italian Cervinia were discounted.

Some of the 5 unlinked Davos areas have only one gondola and then the rest is all drag lifts.

St Anton will be a lot less attractive had it without the unlinked Lech but it does has a steep history and had supplied some famous pioneers to some American resorts.

As for the American resorts I find their accommodation and lift pass are significantly more expensive than European equivalent while the lift facilities are poorer and older with a much smaller skiing terrain relative to the mega resorts in the Alps. I think in general for a skiing holiday, certainly for the skiers crossing the pond, American resorts represents poor value for money.

Having skied only 5 resorts in Colorado I do find the American resorts offering these advantages

(a) There are a better scope for off piste.

(b) For adrenaline challenge junkies the American resorts offer more challenging terrains of double diamond black runs some of which are even classified as extreme skiing. Relatively speaking the European resorts appear more for recreation and holiday enjoyment.

(c) There appears significantly less piste users on the American runs. Aspen has to be one of the quietest resort I skied in Feb/Mar but other resorts can have queues due to using a small number of lifts, especially during the weekends.

I still think each skiing resort has both its own attractions and unfavorable features. There must be a market for some wealthy skiers who want to ski in a lay back fashion, enjoy the mountain, have a decent lunch, get away from the crowd and don't really bother with improving one's skill or to ski every minute as long as the chairlifts are still operating.

Places like Aspen, Vail and Beaver Creek have their own TV channels. On-resort properties with an asking price around $10 millions are fairly common. I skied a run which has a property being being built almost right at the middle of it. There are also home-owner skiways, with restricted access, dotted around the piste maps. The impression I got is that there are places in USA where very expensive holiday homes are being built. To attract buyers the holiday complex developer provides many toys as attractions. One of these toys is to have the skiing facilities. One can get whacked $33 for parking a car there or pay $40 to lock up the skies and boots overnight!
snow report
saikee, thanks.
latest report
Davos?

Cortina?

You are having a laugh.
ski holidays
rob@rar wrote:
I might be a lone voice in this, but does anyone else feel that the skiing in Zermatt is just a bit disappointing for a resort with a world class reputation?
You are not alone. Like you say, stunning to look at and to stay but disjointed and samey and exposed and expensive and Swiss.

The Arlberg gets my vote.

Nowhere in North America makes the list.
ski holidays
Bode Swiller, Having just been to the Arlberg, I have to say it hits my 'Crap' Button. No different to other (great) destinations but loaded with Drunken Brits.

Steep & Deep -- Only The Blues ( which are the same/similar to the Reds & Blacks) ..

Hey Ho ... we are all different Skullie

rob@rar, Foe me Zermatt views will always have a special place in my head ...
ski holidays
Agenterre, you went to the wrong bit...
snow conditions
red 27, I dont do off-piste ... but St. Anton, Lech, Zurs, Stuben, Sonne-whatsitcalled, White Circle etc.. all got touched... what did I miss?
snow conditions
Agenterre, I wonder what is on top of your list of favourites?
latest report
Quote:

what did I miss?

The bus to Bansko.
ski holidays
Bode Swiller wrote:
Quote:

what did I miss?

The bus to Bansko.

Ho-Ho ... rolling eyes
latest report
Tom W, I'm a very inexperienced skier but my favourites?-
- Zermatt
- 4Vallees
- 3 Valless
- Auron
- Saanenmoser
- Saalbach/Hinterglemm
snow conditions
Agenterre, Lech-Zurs was "Loaded with Drunken Brits"?
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
red 27, We stayed in St Anton ( but I would agree less likely in Zurs/Lech/St Christoph) ..... only went out 2 nights after 7 ... saw more drunken tw@s there than I would in a year on Ibiza. Sorry ... its true and invariably they were Brits.
snow conditions
Agenterre wrote:
red 27, I dont do off-piste ... but St. Anton, Lech, Zurs, Stuben, Sonne-whatsitcalled, White Circle etc.. all got touched... what did I miss?

You've already answered it, the Arlberg has epic offpiste, most of it pretty easy to access too.

It's definitely the best area I've been too, and I can't imagine that changing anytime soon. Good lifts, pistes are fine as pistes go (especially the one down from the Schindlergratbahn), awesome offpiste, reliable snow (of a typical lighter, drier nature than most of the rest of the Alps), lots of shops catering for most needs, good non skiing activites (bowling, ice/rock climbing, etc), LOADS of bars - from epic apres at the Mooserwirt/KK's/Taps/Funky's to more chilled in Bobo's/Anton Bar/The place next to Pomodoros Pizzeria (I forget the name - the Lounge or something?!) - most places are still reasonable prices too, In Bar Cuba 4-6pm weekdays a pint is 2 euros for seasonairres and 3.50 for punters. Yeah there's lots of drinking (but it isn't jsut the Brits!!!), but you can easily find quieter nights out too, and the drinking is friendly and jolly rather than aggressive.

Ischgl and Saalbach get close, but they're not quite there. The only two places I've heard of that I think would match the Arlberg (in Europe, anyway) are Cham and Verbier - both of whitch I'm gonna have to try sooner rather than later.
snow report
clarky999, Yep.. Fair Enough! One line dismissing my observation and 4 extolling the virtues of the bars Shocked

If I heard once (both before & when I was there) how St Anton pistes were difficult, I heard it a hundred times. Urban Marketing Myth. (IMVHO!!).
snow report
I don't think I dismissed your observation, but if all you want to do is pound pistes, it's not the place for you. I haven't heard it said that Anton's pistes are difficult (although there are few 'easy' runs), only that it's more suited to advanced skiers - becasue it's offpiste is the jewel in it's crown.

I only wrote so much about the bars as that seemed to form the basis of your complaint against - I can wax lyrical about the offpiste too if you want!
latest report
clarky999, Sorry I wasn't complaining about the bars ... only their clientele! wink
snow report
Maybe you went to the wrong places then - yes many of them are loud and exuberant (and this is what the apres is famed for in Austria as a whole, but particularly Anton) filled with drunken Brits, Scandies, Austrians, Germans, Dutchies, Paddies, etc, but there are also plenty of quiet chilled out places too.
snow conditions
Agenterre wrote:
red 27, We stayed in St Anton ... saw more drunken tw@s there than I would in a year on Ibiza. Sorry ... its true and invariably they were Brits.

No need to apologise - it's as I said before, you stayed in the wrong bit Smile
ski holidays
What defines world class? Swanky restaurants, chi-chi boutiques, dogs in handbags? I'll be happy to avoid those places.

Agree with above comments that Snowbasin is the classiest place you've never heard of even if I did break my leg there!
snow report
Chamonix is a good shout. Great mix of shops and boutiques in the town, combined with an awesome range of skiing.

Just a shame about having to bus it to every slope.
ski holidays
rob@rar

Have to whole-heartedly agree. I think Zermatt is famous for the whole lifestyle that surrounds the place and not so much the skiing. Ok, they have modern lifts and countless snow makers piste-side, but the skiing in Klein Matterhorn in particular is very limited. Gornergrat & Blauherd are a touch better, but the place really lacks the variety of intermediate to advanced skiing that you find across the rest of the Alpes.

This said I get to stay there for free, so in this context I can't really complain!!! Very Happy
ski holidays
"World Class" usually = expensive, over-hyped, crowded, over-developed. Most of the big name resorts on either side of the pond fall foul of at least 2 of the above. So it's a label I try to avoid, although I'll ski anywhere given the chance.
ski holidays
VolklAttivaS5 wrote:
uktrailmonster, out of interest where is the first photo taken?

Big White, Interior BC Canada. It's not like that every day, only a couple of times a week. Although it's been a lean year for snow this season by their standards. Not a "World Class" resort either, just a lot of fun and a lot of nice dry powder.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy