Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Les Arcs area recommendations

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi

I would really appreciate some advice from snowheads either currently based in or around Les Arcs or who have extensive knowledge of the area from a non-skiing point of view.

My boss is going to Arcs 1950 with his wife and thinks I am the wiki of all things Les Arcs. A bit of an exaggeration but also partly irrelevant as I see the whole point of the Paradiski area to involve sliding around on the hill which he doesn't do (he claims long standing injuries), and even more amazingly his wife, who does ski, has opted not to, this time just to keep him company!

Anyway I have a few decent restaurants in mind but I'd like to expand my suggestion list somewhat. Anything of cultural significance, well being, interesting things to do. They have a car and are prepared to get in it and travel around. Money is absolutely no object, in fact the more it costs the better it seems - especially in terms of Michelin stars or otherwise quirky and/or interesting hosteleries. He definately likes his food, champagne and wine...

By the way neither are Brits, he is German with Italian roots and she is French, they are leaving the kids in Paris and they both enjoy a drink or several in the evenings!

Thanks all.
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
What about taking a sightseeing tour by helicopter?
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Chez Merie restaurant in La Masure (just by Sainte Foy). About 45mins drive from Arc 1950, but arguably the best restaurant in the valley!
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
frogslegs, rob@rar's idea is a good one - Mike who runs the helicopters drinks in Luigi's (OFF duty!) in 1950, so you can meet up prior to booking anything. The base is about 500m up the hill from 1950 on the road to 2000 so hardly any distance at all.

Belliou at Pre St Esprit is just a short bus ride away ( or can walk down the side of the piste - there is a path slightly off to one side which takes walkers away from skiers for the most part), only open at lunchtimes, but has an enviable reputation for fine dining (we eat there in the summer, and it can take the best part of an afternoon... which is why we don't do it in the winter!). Need to book.

Also there is the dog sledding from the same point, which takes an hour or so out on the paths towards Villaroger.

Chalet de Lys in the 1950 village itself has I believe a Michelin starred chef and prices to match.

George's wine bar has a selection of fine wines and off-beat champagnes: the local supermarket has a lot of bubblies too, but more 'name' varieties, to appeal to the Russian visitors.

You can book various 'home visit' massage options from the village. We are still waiting on the full Spa to be built (sore point, but not for this thread...), but there are pools, hot tubs, saunas and steam rooms available in every block.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
JimW wrote:
frogslegs, rob@rar's idea is a good one - Mike who runs the helicopters drinks in Luigi's (OFF duty!)

Just by chance I know one of his old flames quite well (small world!)

Other suggestions

1) Trip up to the top of the aiguille rouge - perfect on a sunny day...

2) Have (book at table) at chalet de L'arc - this is on the piste but walkable up from 1950/2000. Great lunches and a nice sun trap for an apres.

3) Drive down the hill to nancroix and have a go at the cross country skiing, biathlon (re-live those winter olympic moments) or dog-sledding. Kit rental and instruction available on site (might need to pre-book instruction.

4) Isn't there a museum of something strange near seez? Might be worth a quirky visit.

5) Day trip to val d'izzle to practise saying 'rah'
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
frogslegs, if you go on the Les Arcs web site they have a section about cultural stuff. Also other places of interest. Not got much time now but when I do will add other ideas.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
L'Ancolie restaurant in Nancroix is excellent.

If they're prepared to travel to Annecy, try this one - not been there myself wink

http://www.breakingnews.ie/world/french-restaurant-celebrates-third-michelin-star-448220.html
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Snowshoeing?
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
the cheese factory in the Bourg... Puzzled snowHead Can't get much more Savoyard than seeing how the king of cheeses is made. Except eating it.
Though they sound like this might be a bit downmarket for them.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Hi thanks for all your suggestions, it was reassuring to see the same restaurant names pop up that I had either had in mind or my immediate network suggested. Especially good as I have a mixture of personal and work travel coming up to Les Arcs too in the next couple of weeks so I can try them out as well. They had a great time by the way, I have not had the full debrief as yet but I know they managed to be quite active and also do get partying with some kids...

The Annecy restaurant made me smile because he had already eaten there in January with some clients and spent an embarrasing amount of money too - the kind that would have made a VERY nice improvement to my bonus!

I don't think they made the cheese factory though... But I will put it on my list of things I must do before I die! If the raclette doesn't get me first..

Once again - thanks for your help.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy