Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Where's all the snow going?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Morning all

I've just looked at the Cairngorm web cam and started to cry. Sad

I have booked a couple of days off work on the 28th March and organised a trip to aviemore for the family to introduce the 4 and 7 year old to skiing ( its the 7 year olds birthday ), then hopefully a week away next year. Laughing

It appears the warm weather is killing the lower slopes and by the time we go I don't know if there will be anything left. It's a pain as there are no cheap holidays abroad for this time of year and the kids have been kitted out ( via ebay but still not cheap ).

I suppose we only need enough snow on the top for the kids to learn but I was really looking forward to it.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
vtoakley, as a one-time Cairngorm instructor and someone who's monitored the snow pattern up there over the years it's sad to have to say that the snow cover on that mountain is not as reliable as it once was.

However, I'd be surprised if the Ptarmigan bowl - good for beginners - doesn't have cover at the end of the month. As for the rest of the mountain, sadly it can be stripped very rapidly by mild rain, and much of it has been forecast.

Of course, everything could reverse again.

If there's another good snowy spell before you go, I'd look at The Lecht in preference to Cairngorm if the focus of the trip is to introduce skiing to your kids. The Lecht has drawn much trade from Cairngorm because of its very accessible slopes for novices - you just park and get out there. The Lecht is accessible for day trips from Aviemore, but you might want to look at staying somewhere like Grantown-on-Spey, which I think is a good mid-point between the two ski areas. Carrbridge is a nice little village, too, and it has a facility called the Landmark Centre which your kids would find very interesting.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Thanks Dave, I've never skied the Lecht. Lets hope for more snow.

Your right in what you are suggesting, the trip needs to be geared towards the kids. If they have a good time then my skiing days can start again and I can enjoy taking the kids up the mountain ( or maybe I live in a dream world ). Very Happy
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
vtoakley, i hope it holds out for ya, the ptarmigan cam is still showing a reasonable amount of snow Puzzled, and no doubt there will be enough for the beginners....looks like the rest of the hill may be a bit no go now Crying or Very sad

that said, its 12 days til you go, anything might happen!!

worst case, pack the hiking boots and enjoy it in that way, Scotland is a beautiful place at any time of year!
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
vtoakley, I agree absolutely with David Goldsmith, as another ex Cairngorm Ski Teacher. If in doubt go to the Lecht. That would be great for your kids, probably better than going up to the Ptarmigan Bowl at least for the first couple of days. The Lecht is the only Scottish resort where you can actually do straight running - esential for getting the balance and stability right for the first few gos. I'm sorry to say this as I love Aviemore (lived there for 7 years), but you do have to be honest. Boat of Garten is also a nice village en route for both mountains.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
easiski wrote:
..... Boat of Garten is also a nice village en route for both mountains.

Sure is.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
vtoakley, another way to give an introduction to the kids is to go summer skiing on a glacier. There is some discussion about this on another thread. We did this ourselves and went to Les Deux Alpes (but it seems that we failed to notice the train to the top).
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy