Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Hotronics or Thermics

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
After suffering from freezing cold feet at New Year, I'm thinking about buying some boot heaters, but would like an opinion on which ones.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Helen Beaumont, did you read my recent thread? I might try Hotronics if I was buying for the first time. Unless you can stretch to that Thermic Lionpack model with the wireless control you have round your neck.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
My Lovely children bought me some thermic liion heaters for christmas/birthday! My world has been changed! Mr BH is also happier as I am no longer moaning about how cold my feet are. I find it easier to ski as I can actually feel my feet. The wireless control is nice but to be honest once on I don't find I need to alter the setting whilst I'm skiing as my feet stay toasty warm.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Helen, do you wear Smartwool socks? Thick or thin? I changed to thinner smartwool in february when it was -16 and my feet were nice and warm all day. Just a 'cheaper' thought. Little Angel
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Axsman, I can't wear wool socks, not even smartwool ones, my skin breaks out in a nasty itchy rash on my feet. I have lots of Falke SK2 thermal ones instead, which have been fine , but feet started becoming very cold in January, temps were very low, and although the snow was excellent, I was so uncomfortable i went home.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Helen Beaumont, Hmm, that sounds like bad news. Looks like a boot heater is the way to go then. Can't answer your OP I'm afraid as i've never used one. (So probably not qualified to offer an opinion Little Angel ). Laughing
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Axsman, good point about the socks, I too changed to thinner Smartwool socks and they are now my favourite pair, definitely the best socks I have ever had. I don't always need the heaters on with these socks.
Helen Beaumont, how about a very fine silk sock and then a Smartwool sock? I know that 2 pairs of socks are a no no but I'm not sure the silk 'liner' socks are quite the same thing. My little one complained of cold feet first time ever at half term which sent me on a search of half of Briancon looking for a tiny silk sock Laughing anyway it did the trick, silk sock + smartwool kids.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I got rid of my old cheap socks this year and took smartwool and Teko socks

My feet were still freezing, I shall be purchasing some Thermics before next years trip

Although I must add that I was at Ski School during the mornings and anytime spent standing still doesn't help, so keep moving Very Happy
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I had Thermics in my old boots that I used in Canada. They were great, but as mentioned on a previous thread, the switch on the battery pack tends to sneak across to the higher setting so I stuck tape across mine to stop it happening. If I was buying them now, I would get the wireless control version to prevent this problem.

I have no idea what the switches are like on the Hotronics - anyone used them?
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Helen Beaumont, Thermo liners babe, Palau Soft/Hard depending on your volume issues. Cheaper and make your boots more precise.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
SMALLZOOKEEPER, thanks, I'll see if anyone does these in Serre Che when I'm out there next before deciding. Probably need some volume reduction as they're getting a bit sloppy.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Helen Beaumont, Perfect, the new thermo hard evo works well for all the mentioned issues. Be sure they are moulded properly with footbeds!!!!
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
SMALLZOOKEEPER, any experience of the difference between Palau and Intuition? Intuitions get a good wrap on TGR and the tech in Mountain Air, Verbier spoke highly of them. Doesn't seem like many places use them in Europe?
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
bobinch, Really think it's a French thing, however Dynafit, Garmont, Sidas all use the French manufacturer Palau. We sell both and there are so many different models between both companies to be specific. The ones we stock Dalbello (intuition) Garmont and Thermo Evo (Palau) are great but volume of boot and foot is critical to making the right choice between brands and their models.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
SMALLZOOKEEPER, thanks for that. Remy had stuck the Intuition liners from a Krypton in his Virus to stiffen them up. Seems like intuition do quite a few models, including touring versions with tongues and wrap around versions, some with plastic inserst to stiffen them up for Alpine. Not sure what versions Palau have. I've got a pair of the old Endorphin MG's which have a Palau branded liner. They are warm but the liner is pretty flimsy and packs out a lot if you work them.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy