Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Where to go for easy/beginner off-piste skiing?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Just thinking of 2006 hols. and would like to go to the US but would like to do a little more off-piste. (not jumping off the top of a mountain)
In addition, the husband doesn't like to ski the same run twice. Confused Also, I like perfect snow and uncrowded pistes
Toofy Grin
Would you suggest Deer Valley (with the option of going to the other Utah resorts) or Beaver Creek (with the option of Vail)? Or anywhere else?
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
What about Canada, Sunshine and Lake Louise have some easy "off piste areas" all classed as inbounds within the ski areas them selves there is also a ski school (Club ski) who will teach on these areas if requested in level 6 & 7 lessons If you go to these areas stay in Banff theres more to do in the evening lots of nice bars and restaurants.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
erica2004, I know you said you had enough of lessons, but... the EpicSki Academy is in Snowbird next year.
I've skiied Deer Valley once, and it is something to be experienced, particularly if you want to pretend you are someone, or if you want to drain your bank balance. If you must go to that area, Park City is a better resort.

Alta/Snowbird has a lot better skiing, and a lot more, as they are linked resorts. Alta has off-piste for every level of ability (as does Snowbird), and the connection between them is Mineral Basin, and if you don't get enough intermediate off-piste there, then you'll need to take up heliskiing to find more!

As for Beaver Creek/Vail, ask me in a couple of weeks when I get back from there.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
erica2004,
Pretty much what WTFH says.
Deer Valley is an experience but dont stay there - its outrageously expensive and populated by the fur coat and designer label set. They never used to allow snowboards there which may be a plus or a minus to you, but it may have changed in the past couple of years.
Park City is an affordable place to stay and you can ski there, Deer Valley, The Canyons and I think Alta, Brighton and Snowbird on the same pass. A free bus runs between Park City, Deer Valley and the Canyons. (Not sure about the other resorts).
Plenty of easily accessible off piste bits to play in. Utah has also had a brilliant season this year - plenty of powder all round and it is soooo light and fluffy.
All the facilities there are fantastic after they hosted the 2002 olympics.

Another bonus is flights and transfers - pretty easy compared to some of the Colorado areas.

Amazing skiing available at Vail and lots of lift served off piste opportunities in the back bowls. It is a huge area.
Again, populated by the fur coat set and priced accordingly. Beaver Creek may be cheaper to stay in, but I only skied there for a day and cant really remember what it was like.

If you want to avoid crowds avoid American holiday periods like spring break and presidents weekend. I'm not sure when they are, but if you avoid them you can have whole slopes to yourself, particularly midweek.

A tough choice, but I think I'd go for Utah snowHead
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
How about Jackson Hole? slopes will be quieter than Vail.

you could also consider other areas in Colorado like Copper, Breckenridge, Keystone etc, all of which potentially offer off piste skiing "in bounds" which is patrolled.

Beaver Creek is more expensive than Vail! Try this website for cheap Vail tips:

http://www.econovail.com/

The Vail back bowls are good fun, Blue Sky Basin has some nice easy pitches, but can get skiied out v quickly!

cheers,

greg
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
I really enjoyed Fernie. Even the "pistes" are more challenging.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Mmm. I'd like to do off-piste, but as in blue/red steepness. Isn't Snowbird/Alta for real experts?
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
erica2004, not all of it! There are a lot of expert areas, but there's plenty of blue/red powder as well! Very Happy
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
erica2004, a lot of Alta is not steep, and as WTFH says the back of Snowbird is also not steep, so you should definitely be able to ski powder on/near blue runs on maybe 4-5 days out of any 2wk visit during the season. The beauty of Utah is that it gets so much snow - there's probably a better chance of being able to ski powder here than anywhere else you can think of! I stayed in Salt Lake City and hired a car when I went, and would reccommend that over staying in either DV or PC if you want to ski lots of different areas.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Russell, I don't suggest LL for this year. The whole west coast has had a very poor snow year.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Thanks!! It sounds like Snowbird/Alta will be high on the list.
WTFH - I'll be interested in your BeaverCreek/Vail report.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
My experience of these areas goes back to 92/93 season - stayed some time in Breckenridge and some time in Vail. I realise that things have changed considerably since I was there but I would highly recommend Breck for the reason that you can link to all the surrounding resorts on the bus (free when I was there) each day - plenty of pistes for everyone in that respect.

As to Vail - memories are swimming in the outdoor pool each day after skiing (was the very end of the season and very hot), and spending too much time in the evenings admiring Ferrari's and not enough time enjoying beer in the bars - but I was young then and now live within spitting distance of a Ferrari dealer...
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Sherlock Chalets, Where you lick the windows clean each Sunday morning Cool
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy