Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Decent but light ski holdall

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
I'm off to LDA on the 20th March and was thinking of getting a decent wheeled haldall to take my gear in, strong but light, that will take my helment and the ski boots I'm hopefully going to buy out there! Any suggestions to a decent sized bag (to carry a max 20kg including boots and the bag itself), or any suggestions about what to steer clear of?
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Sack the Juggler, I've got one that I bought from Decathlon. It's their own brand (Geonaute?) and cost around £25. It's very lightweight and packed last year weighed around 12kg. I have my ski boots in a separate boot bag but they would fit in the big bag too, I just prefer to spread the load about a bit so I can lift the items into the boot of my car. I don't have a helmet but again fitting one into the bag wouldn't be a problem. With my week's worth of clothing etc, the bag is probably only 2/3 full.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I've got a Head one and can get enough for a week in it, including boots and helmet, and it comes out about 17kg. Main thing I think is to get one without the chunky metal mechanism some of the wheeled holdalls have, they add a lot of weight.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Whilst I accept Colin_B's comment about the weight, I would not be without the wheels and handle. I use an earlier version of the Salomon Container - to carry all my kit other than skis and poles. My kit includes a helmet, probe and shovel, and boots. With a little care the lot comes to 20Kg. Whether my bag is lighter than the current model, I don't know. It was quite a lot cheaper - but that was before the collapse of the £.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Sack the Juggler, I too will be in LDA that week - see my sig for the trip details. We will be meeting in the Lutins Bar most days after skiing so do come and say hello!

You may be after a more expensive better make of bag, but if you're thinking cheap, I have just bought a £25 bag that fits your description. It's from Domo at the Lakeside retail park near Doncaster - they have quite a few stores and an online shop. It says it's guaranteed 8 years. It's 110 litres, so pretty large - the end pockets will take my ski boots (both of mine will just about go in one pocket - ladies for size 8 feet). It's got wheels/handle and a solid base but isn't very heavy, around 3.7Kg on my scales. The only thing that doesn't look very strong is the material the inside pockets are made of as it's quite thin polyester of some sort but I guess that is where the weight saving is to be had.

http://www.bagsetc.co.uk/index.asp?pid=4130633&pg=1&level1=&level2=&level3=

The floral one in the main pic is a smaller version - the pic of the navy one is a better representation.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
TNF expedition duffel XL....no wheels but straps to throw bag over shoulders like a rucksack......

okbye

Last edited by You'll need to Register first of course. on Mon 1-03-10 21:47; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I just bought a north face base camp duffel, no wheels but it's awesome.

other than that dakine are the best in my opinion.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
achilles, Mine has got wheels and a grab handle, but not a retractable one. That's the bit which adds the weight I think.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I use the very same North Face Duffel as snowpatrol. It's 1.6kg or something like that, as opposed to 4.5 to 6kg for a wheelie which is OK when you have a 20kg allowance with Easy Jet but absolutely no good whatsoever when flying with scummy Ryanair with their paltry 15kg allowance.....

I used to use a lightish 70 litre salomon wheelie but when the budget airlines started getting silly about extra charging for boot bags and excess baggage and I had to put my ski boots in my main and only hold luggage I needed to find a really light bag and TNF does the trick. At the end of the day how far do u actually have to carry it? Car to bus, bus to checkin desk then conveyor to bus or taxi and bus or taxi to room. We never used to bat an eyelid about carrying 20kg of suitcase by the handle 15 years ago so why do we all want wheelie bags and cases today????

http://www.amazon.co.uk/North-Face-Large-Duffel-Black/dp/B001E6DHWW/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=clothing&qid=1267653199&sr=8-1&tag=amz07b-21
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy