Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Chalet Girl - The Movie...

Poster: A snowHead
New film being made currently...

Phil Traill’s romantic teen comedy The Chalet Girl stars Felicity Jones, Ed Westwick (pictured), Tamsin Egerton, Christine Baranski and Bill Nighy. Written by Tom Williams and produced by Pippa Cross and Harriet Rees, the film is about a working class girl who finds herself in a glamourous ski resort and discovers her inner snowboarding genius as well as a taste for her boss’s son. Roxy/Quicksilver are providing the branding for the film.

http://www.screendaily.com/festivals/berlin/european-film-market/metropolis/timeless-add-the-chalet-girl-taxi-wars-for-efm/5010662.article

and http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1487118/
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I saw a film called chalet girls once, it certainly wasn't a romantic comedy!!!!
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
The lead girl is currently learning to ski at The Snow Centre Hemel Hempstead. She has had abour 4 lessons so far!
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
MattMattMatt wrote:
I saw a film called chalet girls once, it certainly wasn't a romantic comedy!!!!

Double bill with "Debbie does Dallas", I seem to remember.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Spyderman, Was there much carpet laid for either of those?
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Not much skiing experience required for the 'Chalet Girls' I saw either. wink
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Why does a film need 'branding'? Is thi ssupposed in some way to compensate for the dire plot?
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
If you'd like some inside info on how they filmed it, then take a listen to my chat with Stu Brass, who worked as a consultant on the film
https://audioboom.com/posts/8520007-213-stu-brass-founder-the-brits-snowboarding-consultant-on-chalet-girl-the-jump

The Chalet Girl chat is about 36mins in
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@iainm, A 14 year bump.... thought someone was about to hint to a post brexit sequel. Very Happy
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Quote:

Laughing RIP, @Spyderman.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@hsdee, that's the film with the pretty buck toothed actress isn't it?
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Quote:

I think I saw the Swiss remake - "Debbie does Davos"
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I thought this thread was about a reboot until i saw the date
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Could have a real life eighties to noughties chalet girls ‘Where Are They Now?’ series.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
PeakyB wrote:
Could have a real life eighties to noughties chalet girls ‘Where Are They Now?’ series.

Wouldn't that need an original 80s to noughties series?
snow report
Some of them are right here on Snowheads..... Madeye-Smiley
snow conditions
@adithorp, you’re right, it would.
I can think of a few chalet girl stories that would make good viewing Very Happy
snow conditions
Great chico flick film. Would love a sequel
snow report
What went on in the Aeroski stays in the Aeroski!
latest report
Ricklovesthepowder wrote:

Original chalet girl comes on chalet holiday with her husband and kids 15 years later.... Spends entire week muttering to family that when she was a chalet girl we would never have cooked food like that, served wine like that, wear our uniform like that, be late serving breakfast like that, be hungover serving breakfast like that, had so much more cleaning to do and did it so much better - wipes finger acoss every nook and cranny looking for dust. Complains that the resort was so much better in the old days. Drags 15 year old equipment out of retirement and enters into some interesting conversations on chairlifts. Overcooks it on Jagers at apres. Laughing
snow conditions
hsdee wrote:

Original chalet girl comes on chalet holiday with her husband and kids 15 years later.... Spends entire week muttering to family that when she was a chalet girl we would never have cooked food like that, served wine like that, wear our uniform like that, be late serving breakfast like that, be hungover serving breakfast like that, had so much more cleaning to do and did it so much better - wipes finger acoss every nook and cranny looking for dust. Complains that the resort was so much better in the old days. Drags 15 year old equipment out of retirement and enters into some interesting conversations on chairlifts. Overcooks it on Jagers at apres. Laughing

I’ve got the popcorn ready
latest report
hsdee wrote:

...She's been bigging up how she once won a snowboarding contest to her kids but turns out despite their young age they are better then her and she then breaks her wrist trying to pull off a tindy straight air (horrifying all who uphold basic standards in grabs) and trips out on the painkillers. This allows them to replay all the greatest hits of the old movie in a dream sequence). Big finish is a flash forward to her kids winning International* Gold on the Downhill and her cheering in the crowd.

*They don't have budget/legal clearance to refer to actual Olympics.
snow conditions
Surely she is constantly drunk on gin & has a valium addiction? Then climbs to the top again & uploads the plans of the deathstar?
ski holidays
Gored wrote:
Surely she is constantly drunk on gin & has a valium addiction? Then climbs to the top again & uploads the plans of the deathstar?

Nailed it! I'd certainly watch it - a mix of snow and Star Wars, what's not to like?
snow conditions
I just missed this film on Sky Movies. Caught the end credits and noticed that the soundtrack included a song by 'Lostprophets'. Yikes.
snow conditions
The original version called The White Ecstasy about a young girl going to St. Anton and learning to ski and getting good at it is much better than Chalet Girl and has some of the best sking sequences in any film. It is really worth watching

http://youtube.com/v/fQUPnrGVF5I
ski holidays
johnE wrote:
The original version called The White Ecstasy about a young girl going to St. Anton and learning to ski and getting good at it is much better than Chalet Girl and has some of the best sking sequences in any film. It is really worth watching

I agree, quite a fun film and quite a historical one too. Filmed around 1930/31 in st anton by Arnold Fanck who popularised mountain films of this era, and now has a small cult following, unfortunately a couple of his later films, and his reluctance to get involved, did not find favour with Germany's future leaders a few years later and ended his film making career. Not so for the young girl, Leni Riefenstahl who went on to learn to direct and found great favour with germanys future leaders. One of the main stars is also Hannes Schneider, a St Anton local who was a main character in popularising downhill alpine skiing and ski instruction. All the skiers featured were from the ski school or there around and some racers of the time too. Look carefully and you can see Hospiz Hotel, Mooserkreuz Hotel, Post and a few other Anton landmarks, there is a version available subtitled into english.
snow report
I must watch this. The Schneider brothers taught my father to ski (not altogether successfully, apparently, but I can't judge as I never saw him ski) when he was living in Germany in the 1920s/30s.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@hsdee,
Quote:

, there is a version available subtitled into english.

Is that also on YouTube? Can't seem to find it at the moment, but that could be me being dim.
snow conditions
@Hurtle, turn on CC on youtube and set them to English? Probably a bit dodgy/random but better than nothing.
ski holidays
@ster, ta
latest report
@Hurtle, yes click on the settings icon then under subtitles select German (auto-generated)>>English.

A couple of comments.
Hannes Schneider apparently did not get on well with Leni Riefenstahl and he was strongly opposed to the Nazis. After Hitler grabbed Austria with the Anschluss Schneider was stripped of his ski school and imprisoned. It was only because of his fame that some influential Americans were able to intervene and get him released to travel to New Hampshire where he established a ski school there that he ran until his death in 1955.

Two Tyrolean skiing stars, Walter Riml and Guzzi Lantschner, have important parts in this movie. They play two Hamburger carpenters in their traditional outfits. They come to the Arlberg and try to learn how to ski with the aid of two different skiing books. Walter Riml played the tall carpenter "Fietje" from Hamburg together with his petite carpenter-partner "Tietje" Guzzi Lantschner, both in the traditional black carpenter costumes. If you are eagle eyed you may notice that at about 30 minutes into the film where Walter Riml is doing 360 degree rotations on the snow he is in fact using twin tip skis, so they were not as many might imagine fairly recent inventions!

snow report

snow report
@Alastair Pink, Smile
ski holidays
Hurtle wrote:
@hsdee,
Quote:

Is that also on YouTube? Can't seem to find it at the moment, but that could be me being dim.

No it used to be, but was taken down, but as said you could use auto translate. About 20 years ago the film was remastered and subtitled, i believe it can be purchased from new england ski museum. There was a time it was constantly played on the local Anton channel, but then i believe the copyright owner started complaining about this.

Alisdair, the two carpenters were copied from an earlier act by Gebruder Wolf where the brothers were Hamburg dockworkers, by the same name i believe.

Last edited by Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do. on Sun 16-06-24 22:11; edited 2 times in total
ski holidays
hsdee wrote:
Hurtle wrote:
@hsdee,
Quote:

No it used to be, but was taken down, but as said you could use auto translate. About 20 years ago the film was remastered and subtitled, i believe it can be purchased from new england ski museum. There was a time it was constantly played on the local Anton channel, but then i believe the copyright owner started complaining about this.

It must be out of copyright
ski holidays
@davidof, but the subtitles may have different copyright rules applied to them, such as when they were written.
ski holidays
davidof wrote:
It must be out of copyright

Maybe, but one of the directors descendents was asking for money if they showed it, so they stopped showing it was my info from a credible source.
snow report
Who says 14 years is too long for a bump? This seems to have gone well and can't wait to see 'Chalet Girl 2'...but only with script as above!
snow report
Dave of the Marmottes wrote:
hsdee wrote:

...She's been bigging up how she once won a snowboarding contest to her kids but turns out despite their young age they are better then her and she then breaks her wrist trying to pull off a tindy straight air (horrifying all who uphold basic standards in grabs) and trips out on the painkillers. This allows them to replay all the greatest hits of the old movie in a dream sequence). Big finish is a flash forward to her kids winning International* Gold on the Downhill and her cheering in the crowd.

*They don't have budget/legal clearance to refer to actual Olympics.

The prize for winning international Gold was to have one of the 6person chairs on the Rendl pimped up and named after them, the following season the family return in order to take some publicity photos, for their gram account, with their newly pimped 6pax detachable with seat heating and a tinted hood. In order to get the best light and the sun setting they convince the lift operator to let them have one last ride, unknown to them the lift operator is then distracted, and the lift is shut down for the night as bad weather approaches.

Trapped on the chair lift the family try and phone for help, but obviously there is no signal, realising that they will soon be late for apres the chalet girl jumps down, misses the tindy grab again and lands head first, trapped by her teeth, in the ice. Unable to help, the family watch on as she is devoured by snow and hungry hibernating marmots angry at being woken, and having the roof of their winter den damaged by the impact.

Overnight it snows nearly 2 metres of fresh powder and as the sun rises the rest of the family decide to jump in unison into the bottomless snow and have the sickest ride down to the village. The marmot video goes viral on Tiktok. After a thorough defrosting, some dental work and antiviral medication, against the nibbling marmots, the Chalet girl recovers vowing never, at her age, to try a grab trick again.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy