Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

stupid question? - skis running away!

Poster: A snowHead
ok so i initiate turn and all feels well and dont think i have weight back then my skis rush off and leave me behind when i end up just jamming on the brakes in not the best balance t which point all attempts at parallelness are ditched (not voluntarily but i cant catch up with the skis again to keep the weight on the tips). didnt happen last year with hire skis. what the heck? now had the skis out for 4 days and getting really frustrated (Rossi sc80w). Maybe i have forgotten how to ski. any ideas much appreciated? anyone else had this experience? I ll try anything - help!!!
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
bitoffluff, I would get a lesson. Which resort are you in?
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
your weight's probably back. get a lesson, or accept random guesstimates like that over the net and see what happens snowHead
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
DaveC wrote:
your weight's probably back. get a lesson, or accept random guesstimates like that over the net and see what happens snowHead

figured id accept random suggestions over the net, then give them a go, and if it doesnt work try something different Smile did do a week course last year which sorted the problem, but using what i thought was what i learnt it dinnae seem to be wrking this year. also hoped to see if other people have this experience of one year being a decent upper intermediate and next year skiing like a numpty -always great to get others experiences even if they dont solve the problem - then again maybe im completely alone in this problem, and just plain weird wink
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Sounds to me like you may have your weight either back or on the inside ski (or both?!) but it could be many things!!! but as suggested I would have a lesson, Its very hard to diagnose a problem that you haven't seen!!! Are you skiing at the moment?
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Give those skis a stiff talking to and if they continue to run away, give them both a dead leg! That should do it. Cool
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
The same thing sometimes happens to me when skis are a little too long and/or too stiff for me. When that happens I have to be much more aggressive and precise in technique, or I take the skis back and hire some that like me better.

Perhaps the skis don't like your skiing style and you just need to adjust it in order to tame them.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Quote:

hoped to see if other people have this experience of one year being a decent upper intermediate and next year skiing like a numpty -

Yep, frequently. Generally solved by having a lesson. wink I don't think many of us are too clever at diagnosing our own problems. However, if you are determined not to have a lesson, you could just try working with your weight in different places. e.g. ski slowly and carefully, five (or whatever) turns weight right forward, then five right back, then five in middle. Rinse and repeat. Not original - two different instructors in the last year had me doing that sort of drill - but when I'm on my own and something's not going right, I find it's a good way to help me get a feel for what's happening.

Another good but uncomfortable drill (also not original, thanks rob@rar) is to have your boots completely undone - all clips open - no support at all, and do a couple of runs down an easy blue. Then if your weight's not right you'll fall over. wink
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Try other skis? Assuming it's a 6 day trip you don't have long left on snow, might as well get some skis you get on with better and remeber to book a lesson for the start of the week next time. FWIW I'd guess the skis are a little to stiff for you. If you want to make a go of it I'd suggest you need to be more forward and more aggressive but I'm too lazy to do that all day so I'd just swap them for something more relaxing! aj xx
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Think back to your last lessons and the drills that you probably went through on the first day, and probably did for the first portion of every lesson each day. Now try and do some of those drills again, they really do get you back into good habits, and would probably go some way to solving the problem.

But I agree with the others..... try and take a lesson.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Not and easy one...

Lessons will definately help.

On the whole several things:
- Length of Skiis (ie are they longer than those you had before?)
- Class of ski from ski hire shop, did you go for a better class? hence you are not used to as:
- stiffer skiis
- larger turning circle
- brand new and recently serviced, hence nice and slipperly (type of wax)

As they others say, no easy way to identify!
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
michaelminhatkinson, I'd bet at 10:1 ish it's not a gear issue.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
DaveC wrote:
michaelminhatkinson, I'd bet at 10:1 ish it's not a gear issue.

depressingly i think you might be part right! however skis are a length and stiffness step up - i was getting on so well last year i was starting to play off piste so bought some decent skis with length recommended, but maybe a step up and should have consolidated technique another week before getting a bit too enthusiastic. Main problem with lesson is in St Anton its more than £100 for a 2 hour lesson private and there can be up to 12! ina group lesson - yikes either way!
I ll try some of the drills you helpful people have suggested and see if i can regain my mojo Razz
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
DaveC, Agreed

bitoffluff

Edited for clarity

Not a clue what's going wrong. Sorry (but sounds like a fore/aft sort of thingy)

Last edited by You know it makes sense. on Wed 3-03-10 8:10; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Try moving your bindings forward in 1 click steps if they are adjustable. Can make a huge difference
latest report
bitoffluff wrote:
....also hoped to see if other people have this experience of one year being a decent upper intermediate and next year skiing like a numpty -...

er well I'm still waiting for the 'upper intermediate' bit, the other I have down pat. Madeye-Smiley

My diagnosis is that your weight is too far back. project forward into the turn and stay forward (but not bent at the waist).

There you go, official random advice from a complete numptie. Take it at your peril Toofy Grin
snow report
bitoffluff wrote:
ok so i initiate turn

Tell us how you initiate turn.
ski holidays
bitoffluff wrote:
ok so i initiate turn and all feels well and dont think i have weight back then my skis rush off and leave me behind when i end up just jamming on the brakes in not the best balance t which point all attempts at parallelness are ditched (not voluntarily but i cant catch up with the skis again to keep the weight on the tips). didnt happen last year with hire skis. what the heck? now had the skis out for 4 days and getting really frustrated (Rossi sc80w). Maybe i have forgotten how to ski. any ideas much appreciated? anyone else had this experience? I ll try anything - help!!!

It typically takes holidayskiers 4 to 5 days to get their ski memory fully back to prior levels.

Consciously round your turns off like a 6 or 9.
ski holidays
Assuming that your turn initiation is okay (no tilting in of the upper body, skis actually edged by foot action)...

As you progress round the turn you will be facing downhill, at this point, imagine that the prime minister is standing on the front of your outside ski facing you with his toes just touching your front binding.

Simultaneously, punch him in the solar plexus with your inside hand and knee him in the b0!!0{|<$ with your outside knee. This should allow you to finish the turn across the slope and above your feet.

If this doesn't work,then, nut him as well. Don't wind back, just jab forward so as to catch him by surprise and distract him from the punch and kneeing.

Repeat with the Prime minister on the other ski.

Practice at first on mild gradients with large radius tuns and then progress to knocking seven bells of the so and so on a decent red with short slalom turns.
snow conditions
Bunny hops. Set off across the slope making little bunny hops just a few inches off the ground... if your weight is off you'll land on your back bottom.
ski holidays
I'm going to throw out another "Go see a ski instructor, on snow, and do what they tell you" out there for good measure.
ski holidays
DaveC,
Quote:

I'm going to throw out another "Go see a ski instructor, on snow, and do what they tell you" out there for good measure.

Very Happy
latest report
thirty06,
Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing
snow conditions
Quote:

As you progress round the turn you will be facing downhill, at this point, imagine that the prime minister is standing on the front of your outside ski facing you with his toes just touching your front binding.

Simultaneously, punch him in the solar plexus with your inside hand and knee him in the b0!!0{|<$ with your outside knee. This should allow you to finish the turn across the slope and above your feet.

If this doesn't work,then, nut him as well. Don't wind back, just jab forward so as to catch him by surprise and distract him from the punch and kneeing.

Repeat with the Prime minister on the other ski.

Whether this improves your skiing or not it's got to be worth doing just for the fun.
ski holidays
I'm going skiing with my buddy Gordon in the next fortnight. He was really looking forward to it so I suggested he look on the "Bend Ze Knees" forum for some technique tips. He's not been skiing for a while - keeps blaming pressure of work, poor economic conditions etc. Anyway, ever since he looked at the forum he's been really worried about our coming holiday. Keeps asking if skiiers tend to be violent.

Can anyone think why?

Puzzled
snow report
No
latest report
DaveC,
Quote:

and another one over here
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy