Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Engelberg hotel recommendations?

Poster: A snowHead
Seen a few posts on here mentioning the Bellevue as where folks have stayed - but as expected most posts are about the skiing and the runs rather than the quality of the hotel!
Have decided to take my mum for a winter trip to the Alps for New Year and have picked this place as being convenient from Zurich... Next step pick a hotel... Bellevue - seems popular - is it nice? Food good?

Any other recommendations - budget is mid level as will be going at expensive time. Prepared to shell out a bit so we have a nice place but don't want to go silly. Main thing is probably a nice room somewhere that has a good restaurant and will probably put on a bit of a dinner on New Years Eve...

thanks to anyone that can help...
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Bergfex.com is the web site I used for finding accommodation in Engelberg last year. Choices to suit all pockets, pista maps and you can check the proximity to the chairlift of each accommodation. All services are free and accommodations are well regulated. Pretty dependable for all the trips I have arranged.

Engelberg is a nice place to enjoy with the family. There are nice restaurants around, good places to shop (or windowshop as in our case) and the big local supermarket has a nice eating place too (need to be there before the supermarket closes).
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I have stayed in the Schweizerhof a few years back which seemed mid range and decent - and in the centre of town.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
mountain mad the Bellvue is in a great location and is a lovely old building BUT I wouldn't describe it as a nice hotel and our room certainly was not that plush!

In my opinion ideal for a blokes trip but not a place to take your mum for a nice dinner etc
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
mountain mad, I haven't stayed in any hotels there but can recommend the Hotel Banklialp and Hotel Engelberg for food.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
The Edelweiss is a nice family run hotel, good for families and with fabulous views. It's a small walk up a hill, which may not sit well with an elderly mother, but there is also a courtesy van available. Engelberg is a great little town, with good skiing and plenty to do to keep non-skiers entertained. Another place you might consider is pretty Leukerbad, which has fabulous spas, the largest in the Alps, and some lovely intermediate skiing. Everyone I know who has been to Leukerbad keeps going back. In Leukerbad a pleasant but simple and reasonably central B&B is the Chamois. Other places worth considering are Andermatt and car-free Wengen, both compact but with plenty to do.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
mountain mad, Have a look at this place...

http://www.skilodgeengelberg.com/web/enhotellet.html

Lovely Menu for the Restaurant. I think I read a while ago that they have one of Heston Blumenthals' chefs working there.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Actually, I have an experience to that hotel that is why I am very confidence to recommend this hotel to you. We stayed at the Engel berg hotel for 3 nights and 4 days of skiing together with my friends. The staff is really passionate about what they do and that means you don’t have to bother about anything, just check in and have a really nice time. We choose to eat at the hotel and the food is super! Seo Services.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Thanks for the recommendations...

I'll check out Schweizerhof, Banklialp, Engelberg and Edelweisss...
I'd already found the Skilodge place and enquired but they only do full week bookings for the New Year and we need to find somewhere that will do 4 nights...
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Just back from Engelberg.
Suggest you get a list from tourist office... I wasn't overly impressed with the number of restaurants, and a lot of the 'skiers' hotels are quite small (we stayed in Sonnwendhof, which was near the main lift, but not really a NYE type place).
Banklialp is nicely situated, but food nothing special.
Schweizzerhof supposed to have good food, but a bit out of the way and not very characterful.
Ski Lodge has good food, but very much a skiers / younger crowd type place.
In fact, I don't remember seeing any hotels that looked particularly 'charming'.
Suspect bigger hotels (like Ramada) would have NYE events....
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
And just back from Engelberg for Easter 2011... clearly it's not a destination high on Snowheads agenda - shame, given the quality of the skiing.

Stayed at the Ski Lodge - In summary, an ok place, but a bit pricey for what it offers.
Rooms were 'compact' - we had a 3 bed with balcony, which was ok (balcony was nice, first floor, and ran for most of the front of the hotel, overlooking the pasture & sauna/bar area). Room bathroom was tiny (barely able to fit two people in). Our friends had to request a move from their 2bed as it was claustrophobic.
However, the food is excellent, verging on fine dining. Nicely presented, and delicious. However, if you're a 'strapping chap' you might find the portions of the Skiers Dinner a bit small (but extra potatoes and bread were available).
Breakfast was simple, but good - choice of delicious fresh breads, eggs etc (tho not much difference between the soft and hard boiled eggs).

Bar was still reasonably lively, but not much of a social atmosphere.
Main downside was that the jacuzzi wasn't running, and hadn't been for over a month. Both that, and the sauna, are wood fired - the sauna is fun, not least ast it has large windows....

It's just next to the station, so handy for Bus 1 direct to Titlis lift station.

In short, if I was going again with friends, I'd stay somewhere cheaper, and book a few dinners at Ski Lodge.

h.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Your mother (or you) might find the Benedictine monastery in the town worth a visit (church at any time and guided tours of the rest).
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I am newly joined in this topic.I plan on visiting Engelberg go snowboarding for about 15 july. Does anyone know any budget accommodation. We plan to make the first day of snowboarding all day stay in Engelberg last night and then snowboard all day. We therefore need only one night for 2 of us. Want something good, but not too expensive. Thank's in advance
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
snowball wrote:
Your mother (or you) might find the Benedictine monastery in the town worth a visit (church at any time and guided tours of the rest).

It was the abbot who founded the monastery in the twelth century who gave the village its name.

When he first arrived in the valley looking for a location for his monastery, he had a vision of an angel and called the village Engel (angel) berg (mountain).

He then opened yet another bottle of brandy.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I liked the Skiers Lodge. Great food (highly recommend you book half board), and really friendly staff. However, there are a couple of things to be aware of: If you have a room above the bar it's fine, except on party night when it is pretty loud until about 1am. Staff are great, but they are mostly young and inexperienced, so it's a bit more like a chalet hotel than a traditional hotel. Irritating things like a broken curtain not getting fixed after asking several times and a total inability to help us get a restaurant booking (their restaurant was full and we weren't half board).
latest report
The Edelweiss is used by Inn Travel, who usually manage to choose well.
latest report
I'm surprized nobody mentioned Spannort. It is nr 1 on tripadvisor and I stayed there as well. Lovely staff, great rooms, ok breakfast. It is a renovated hotel, still having old charm, in the shopping street. Close to Ramada (same ski bus stop).
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy