Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Wengen-advice please

Poster: A snowHead
wow i'm a snowhead,
first post so hi to everyone,just booked hotel Falken Wengen, march 20th,this will be my 3rd week skiing,(Serre Chevalier,Avoriaz),
i'm a nervous skier lookin for advice,broke my wrist at xmas,had plaster removed 2 weeks ago and feeling a bit fragile,basically i'm looking to get confidence any help appreciated.
Wengen seems to be a good beginners resort? information on ski school,runs,ski hire etc,
Have read other threads sorry for starting a new one,a bit unsure on how this works.
oh and 1 other thing, how much is a beer.
thanks in advance Deb x
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Welcome to snowHeads debsnowangel, snowHead

I've not visited Wengen, but plenty of snowHead 's have, and I'm sure one of them will be along soon Very Happy
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
debsnowangel, Welcome to Snowheads. Central Sports is good for ski hire and you should find beers are cheaper than in France. The Hotel Falken gets good reviews here, do some searches and you should get more info. There are many runs to gain confidence in Wengen, so should suit well.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
debsnowangel, hi Deb. right then easy questions first

Ski Hire, pretty much all the hire places are intersport franchises so charge about the same, I suggest Central sport as they seem to have the largest selection of good hire kit with good technicians to set stuff up for you.

Ski school, three choices now, Swiss ski school, traditional ski school lots of staff godd for group lessons, Privat, a lot less staff but very good for private lessons, theres a third new one whose name I cant remember but I think one of its staff is a member of snowheads so perhaps they will see this thread and remind me.

Wengen is a good intermediate resort with a reasonable amount for beginners, I learnt there several decades ago now, for beginners the easy Blue run down teh Mannlichen is ok but is crossed at several locations by much faster reds, for a lovely run with nice scenery I'd suggest the run from KlScheidegg to Brandegg (Blue No.22 from memory) stop at Brandegg for apple fritters or anything else for that matter, then take the train back up, teh run down from there is not great especially if the snow is a bit worn, theres also a nice red run from the top of teh Wixi Chair lift down to Inner Wengen but don't do it on a weekend if teh snow is nice, as every local will be on it and it gets packed

Sorry cant tell you about beer prices as I don't drink the stuff however at current exchange rates I'd imagine from £2.50 for a small beer to £5 for a large one depending on where you drink is probably about right, traditionally teh Falken has always had a reasonably priced bar
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
D G Orf wrote:

theres a third new one whose name I cant remember but I think one of its staff is a member of snowheads so perhaps they will see this thread and remind me.

I think you may mean me (Altitude Snowsports School).

We will offer a discount of 10% to any Snowheads out there as well.

Please PM me or email me at info@altitude-wengen.com if you would like any more information.

debsnowangel, enjoy your trip to Wengen!
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
For a small resort I can't believe Wengen can support 3 ski schools, Shocked
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Hi Deb,
Saw your post, seems im a new snowhead too!
I came back from Wengen last weekend, been miserable ever since.
You will love it.
You MUST have a good lesson as soon as you can, then hopefully you will be able to do the basics and enjoy the rest of your holiday.
The blue run from Kleine Scheidegg to Brandegg is one of our favourites. You will enjoy it more if you are confident enough to let the skis run and pick up some speed to avoid having to punt yourself along a couple of bits. Halfway down take the left fork and enjoy the slower tree lined pathway, avoiding the steeper less interesting part.
Its shown on the piste map, and joins up with the other fork again a bit further down.
The restaurant at Brandegg is a great place to sit outside and watch people on sledges come hurtling down the bumpy hill!
You must take a morning off, hire a sledge from Central Sports and do the Eiger run, it starts at the same place the blue run does.
There are a few walking parts but use that time to enjoy the scenery.
Have fun, dont forget its a holiday!
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
debsnowangel and DaveKyp, Welcome both to Snowheads! snowHead You'll see from the Jungfrau Ski Region thread that there are quite a few Snowheads who are keen on Wengen. There's even one poor deluded snowhead who prefers Murren! wink
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
We hired sledges in Murren and did the Allmendhubel run, got to the bottom, discussed how painful & dangerous sledging is, then went up and did it again. In summer we visit Murren for a wander around, then a blowout lunch whilst watching mountain bikers and dogs washing and drinking in the hollowed log water trough!
Haven't skied there 'cos there's no Lauberhorn run!
Great views and a lovely village.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
DaveKyp wrote:
We hired sledges in Murren and did the Allmendhubel run, got to the bottom, discussed how painful & dangerous sledging is, then went up and did it again. In summer we visit Murren for a wander around, then a blowout lunch whilst watching mountain bikers and dogs washing and drinking in the hollowed log water trough!
Haven't skied there 'cos there's no Lauberhorn run!
Great views and a lovely village.

Next time if you visit Mürren to sledge try the run from Mürren down to Gimmelwald, more great views and good controlled fun and if you haven't skied above Mürren...............you are missing out !!

In the summer their are some excellent walks around Mürren !
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
debsnowangel, welcome to snowheads. Can't add much more than has already been written - other than to say you have chosen a gem of a hotel. Not stayed there - but have often visited the bar because of the fabulous jazz pianist they have - hope they still have him. really nice friendly staff, very nice atmosphere. I love Wengen - and hope you will, too.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Welcome to Snowheads debsnowangel

The Falken Hotel is a great place to stay, there were nearly 100 of us there last Easter and over 100 going between the 3rd and 10th April this year.
Rooms are clean and tidy, food is good, continental breakfast with the only hot item being scrambled eggs.
Dinner in the evening is four courses, good selection over the week.
The prices in the bar differ little to elsewhere in Wengen.

The Cova family who own the hotel are excellent hosts.
Al Copley is the Jazz pianist, again makes for a pleasent evening if you don't go out into the village.
He is also not bad at rock and roll as well - we had the carpet rolled back most evenings to dance as well!!

Schiedegg is an easy run up on the train or take the cable to Mannlichen both have easy runs available.
Enjoy your trip
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
debsnowangel, ps.....welcome to Snowheads snowHead snowHead
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Quote:

how much is a beer

A beer is CHF5-10 in the bars, CHF1-2 from the Co-op in Wengen behind the station.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
hi thanks to everyone, i really appreciate ur i nfo sounds really good , i am not a beginner as such, i am not scared of going for it, i love the speed n am well past a beginner but obviously need ski lessons as i am only on my 3rd week, really want to get better x
snow report
sorry was on my fellas username, its was supposed be mine, debsnowangel x
latest report
aww thanks everyone, sounds really good,m cant wait to go now only 2 weeks to go, ooh am so excited, cant wait x
snow report
I'm going to wengen too, at Easter 2010, 4th April and very much looking forward to it. Good Ski Guide etc is a bit wary of recommending Wengen which keep me awake a bit a night.
It would be great to hear from other snowheads. Cheers, a.
latest report
andreaharding,welcome to snowheads snowHead

What does it say about Wengen Puzzled
latest report
well, pretty and all, but snow unreliable late on. But other experiences, from the resort say that the snow is fine over easter. Cheers.
ski holidays
andreaharding, theres no certainty that late in the season at any of teh lower resorts, however in recent years Wengen has done amazingly well with late season conditions
snow report
andreaharding look 10 posts up and you will see that we (a group of over 100 from the Sharks Ski Club in Sheffield) are in Wengen 3rd - 10th April.
This will be our 9th consecutive year at Easter, last year we could ski to the hotel for the full week but that was exceptional.

Usually have not been able to ski into Wengen but can get pretty close, a number of our group have grass skied to the Eiger Bar for the afternoon refreshment(ssss) in previous years.

You should recognise the group, other than the logo on the sweatshirts, there will be the super hero's day, the retro day, the super furry animals day and of course the tutu's.
50% Adults 50% kids social trip but we should have a GS set out on the Lauberhorn for at least one morning.

Enjoy your trip.
ski holidays
Hi,
Well that's good - we'll look out for you! We're at the Alpenrose, we'll come and see your pianist! Thanks for the encouragement,
Andrea.
latest report
andreaharding, please try and pop across to Mürren slopes while you are in the region !!
snow report
will do, thanks!
ski holidays
D G Orf wrote:
...there's also a nice red run from the top of the Wixi Chair lift down to Inner Wengen
Toofy Grin Shocked Very Happy
snow report
great, will do that. Really can't wait, and can't wait for the pesky rain forecast for this wekend to go away and be replaced by some colder stuff.....
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy