Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Help in Zermatt

Poster: A snowHead
Hi, just booked a weeks stay in Zermatt 27th of March stopping at the Atlanta hotel for me & my 2 sons (14&16).Would like a few pointers as to which runs to use the first 2 days to get us used to the area,we all all intermediate the boys better than me tho!.My first time in Switzerland so any help would be helpful,many thanks

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Sat 27-02-10 21:20; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
paulhillsw, Welcome to Snowheads. I've been to Zermatt a couple of times, it's a great place you'll love it. The ski area is a little disjointed although getting better. I think the Atlanta is somehere near the station and it would probably be best to take the funicular up and ski the Sunnega area on the first day, there are plenty of reasonably straightforward runs there. On other days you may want to take the bus up to Klein Matterhorn. From there it is easy to access the Klein Matterhorn and Gornergrat areas and also to ski over to Cervinia. Plenty of straightforward runs, there too. You may like to use the Gornegrat train also while you are there, it is a very scenic (but slow) way of getting up the mountain. There's a good mix of runs in Zermatt and Cervinia has a lot of wide cruising pistes as well as a 22km run from the top down to Valtournenche. My 14 year old daughter outskis me too and she loved Zermatt when I took her last February.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
paulhillsw, go up Kleine Matterhorn and then ski the long descent to Valtournenche. Go into the restaurant at the bottom and buy your kids a proper Italian hot chocolate. They'll be smiling Very Happy
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
paulhillsw, Take the gondola up to Schwarzsee, ski towards trockener stegg, you will be on a gentle blue path, then take the 4 man chair, stay on thru the mid station, when it dumps you off at the top, ski towards the main building at Trockener Stegg, but don't go in, turn left at the building, and take the 6 man chair there. This will take you right out to the back off the mountain, where you have the choice of two reds that are two football pitches wide and fairly constant in pitch. Repeat these a couple of times, and bobs yer mother's brother Wink
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Many thanks for all your helpful advice,i may even be organised by the time we get there! Colin have looked @ your pics of Zermatt can't wait.
Bobinch-that will be 3 hot chocolates for 3 big kids
Chalatanefc-sounds great just what we were looking for Very Happy
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Charlatanefc wrote:
paulhillsw, Take the gondola up to Schwarzsee, ski towards trockener stegg, you will be on a gentle blue path, then take the 4 man chair, stay on thru the mid station, when it dumps you off at the top, ski towards the main building at Trockener Stegg, but don't go in, turn left at the building, and take the 6 man chair there. This will take you right out to the back off the mountain, where you have the choice of two reds that are two football pitches wide and fairly constant in pitch. Repeat these a couple of times, and bobs yer mother's brother Wink

a post from Charlatanefc about Zermatt that doesnt mention a pub ?? Are you unwell mate ??? Laughing Laughing Laughing
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
paulhillsw, Are you booked with a tour operator? If so you may find that they run a morning/day of hosting you round the area. We went with Crystal earlier this month and had an enjoyable time with their ski host who could answer questions about where to ski depending on your ability and other important stuff like where isn't going to require a second mortgage to eat.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Hi
If it is very cold then Sunnega is always slightly milder. The top or the Klein matterhorn lift (to the glacier) is ABSOLUTELY FREEZING on a cold day! Also, coming back from italy is a bit of a punt so you need to pick your day. But it is much much cheaper to eat and drink over there.
Lunch is usually cheaper in the self service restaurants, the big one at riffelberg is good and does not break the bank. Also you are straight back on the lift after lunch. Your boys might like the runs down from there..there is a lot of variety.
Congrats on choosing such a fabulous place to ski! A word of warning..You will want to go back...every year..TWICE!!
As for apres ski..You have to introduce those boys to the Hennustall on the last run home. they will love it! Pick wednesday and its live music.
Have a fabulous time!
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
jules444 wrote:
Hi

As for apres ski..You have to introduce those boys to the Hennustall on the last run home. they will love it! Pick wednesday and its live music.
Have a fabulous time!

I agree, and they have the best Gluwein I have ever had!
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Kitty wrote:
jules444 wrote:
Hi

Have a fabulous time!

Ha ha...and i agree wholeheartedly!
Did you see my footnote? Or is that a coincidence?
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
bobinch wrote:
paulhillsw, go up Kleine Matterhorn and then ski the long descent to Valtournenche. Go into the restaurant at the bottom and buy your kids a proper Italian hot chocolate. They'll be smiling Very Happy

+1
Choose a nice sunny day later in the week, head up to Klein Matterhorn, do the 22km run to Valtournenche then up and over to Cervinia, lunch at Chalet Etoile nr the Rocce Nere chair (great for meat and seafood), head back up to the border and ski down to Zermatt, that's a great day's skiing, you'll be fully satisfied if a little weary. Very Happy
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
paulhillsw, We stayed in the Atlanta with Crystal a few years back. Good location, close to the main drag. Rooms were dated, the hosts and hotel staff were very friendly, but the biggest problem was the food! Zermatt has a reputation for good food. This is not one of them. Have breakfast and the odd meal there but I would go out to eat!
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Kitty wrote:
jules444 wrote:
Hi

Have a fabulous time!

The same gluwein, they float the dirty beer bottles in to defrost them if they have frozen up on the bar outside...nice.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
papasmurf, never seen that at the Hennustall and wouldn't expect it in Switzerland of all places.

Agree withKitty, and jules444, that it's a great spot for a post ski drink.

paulhillsw, if the hotel you're in doesn't have great food you'll be spoilt for choice particularly on the mountain but also in town.

Here are some pics from last May to give you an idea of what you have in store...

Kleine Matterhorn cable car

The simply stunning Matterhorn

Skiing on the glacier

The ice cave

And from 2nd weekend in December..

Another one of the Matterhorn from the bridge over the river nr the bus stop

And from the year before...

Chalet Etoile on the Cervinia side

Inside Zum See

Outside Zum See - if you hadn't guessed, we quite like it Very Happy

You gotta love Zermatt!!!
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
bobinch, superb piccies Very Happy I love Zermatt. Maybe next season we'll return. I love Zum See but I think I like Simi and Franz and Heidi even more, where's the yum yum smiley? Laughing
ski holidays
sarah, Simi and Franz and Heidi = Chez Vrony? Love the cowhide bars stools....
snow report
bobinch, no Franz and Heidi = Findlerhof, just by Adler and Chez Vrony. Simi superb though for hot stone and being slightly more understated than the others.
ski holidays
paulhillsw wrote:
Hi, just booked a weeks stay in Zermatt 27th of March stopping at the Atlanta hotel for me & my 2 sons (14&16).Would like a few pointers as to which runs to use the first 2 days to get us used to the area,we all all intermediate the boys better than me tho!.My first time in Switzerland so any help would be helpful,many thanks

Many thanks for all your helpful replies sure me & the boys will have a great time ,can't wait!!!
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy