Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Where Are Folk Sliding This Summer ?

Poster: A snowHead
I know theres another few weeks of this season left however, any folk planning skiing this summer of course with a few Pit-stops in the sun ?

I,ll throw my hat in with my planned tour. May need re-routing later dependent on mother nature of course !

Amsterdam>Bali>NZ>Chile>CostaRica>Amsterdam Very Happy
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Does plastic count?
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Shocked You can ski in Bali Shocked Very Happy
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Does indoor count?
snow report
 brian
brian
I've booked a week with the family in Les Deux Alpes, first week in July.

First major step in indoctrinating the bairns, wish me luck !
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Bali ? its just to break up the long haul flight & pick-up some sun !
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I had looked at a snoworks course in Tignes in july but cant get the time off Sad so it will be Castleford for me
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Mrs Ski, Sarah L, various other mates, and I will be going to Tignes over the August Bank Holiday weekend. Any Snoheads who want to join us are most welcome.

Vague plan is to fly out on Thursday (25th) evening, and ski Friday-Monday, and return on Monday afternoon. In the afternoons we do outdoor stuff like rafting, mountain biking etc.

We stay in a chalet with the usual food, wine etc. It''s a great, if tiring, weekend.

If you need a (very) end-of-season fix, then this could be for you ! Please send me a private message for more info.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I am Extremely tempted to book this trip to Las Lenas Argentina with Extremely Canadian in Aug/Sep snowHead
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
The rooftop swimming pool of our house in Spain. I could try skiing down the spiral staircase. Failing that MK indoors Laughing
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
stanton,

Off topic I know but I'm spending 2 weeks in Nijmegen in 3 weeks time. Is there any skiing near there? Laughing wink
Seriously though i understand there is indoor snow slope in Den Haag? snowHead
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Stairway ski-ing in Ballymoney after a bottle or 2 of red wine count? wink
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
slikedges

There's one in Den Haag www.deuithof.nl

and theres one just outside Den Haag in Zoetermeer www.snowworld.nl
and they have a longer Piste in Langraaf in the South near Masstricht

If your in Nijmegen its probably nearer to go to Bottrop in Germany http://www.alpincenter.de/
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I'm going to Zell am See at the end of July for my daughters wedding, plan to ski the Kitzsteinhorn while I'm there. It'll be good to check out in summer as I skied there 3 weeks ago Toofy Grin

AW
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Good time to buy cheap kit, they're getting pretty desperate to sell the previous season stuff by then.
ski holidays
brian, I took my kids to Les 2Alpes one summer as a first try at skiing on snow, they were then 10, 9 and 5. They had had loads of practice on the plastic before we went. Be informed that there are quite a few T bars up there. Unfortunately we couldn't get our 5 year old up the long first T bar. She would have been fine if we could have got her up it, but it wasn't to be. Even going up with an adult takes quite a bit of control and confidence, which she didn't quite have. As a result I had to take turns taking the older two over the rest of the week.

I hope that your experience won't be the same.
ski holidays
stanton,

thanks for the links Very Happy
have you been to any of them? is one much better than others?
it's certainly a little nearer as the crow flies to bottrop but is it just as easy/cheap Confused
latest report
slikedges, I know there's one in Ijmuiden
snow conditions
Bottrop is the longest followed bysnowworld in Langraaf.

There was a thread all about this topic some months ago & I put some other links up. If you do a search you should find the links.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I'm just a little worried about the concept of "folk-sliding". Is it a sort of morris dancing on skis? Siily hats, bells on legs and smacking ski poles together? I think I'll give it a miss.... wink
ski holidays
"sliding" just didnt want to exclude our snowboarding/telemarking colleagues ! Very Happy
snow report
Ray Zorro and Brian,
There's an underground train which runs from below the glacier restaurant to the top of the slopes, where there are some flat sections. This means you can avoid the 2 main t-bars, which run parallel to each other and provide the main uplift on the glacier. Also, theres a green run down from the restaurant to the Le Signal chairlift, so you should have plenty to go at till they're capable of going on the t-bars. Its a great activity in the summer - shirt sleeves and blazing sun. Enjoy! I shall be going for a few days late June myself.
snow report
I am in Les Deux Alpes the third week in July. Its our first time summer skiing, apart from plastic and the snowdomes, so it should be a good experience. Any recommendations what to wear on the glacier?
snow report
paulmck, thanks for that. I wish I'd known about it 4 years ago.
latest report
Ray Zorro, No chance - they'll be ski-ing with me. Why didn't you take the train? Oh sorry, just read Paulmc's post. BTW I was there and operating (in Tourist office brochure etc.) then - why didn't you contact me???

Markw, Always wear more than you think you'll need. T shirt, fleece and anorack would probably be enough, but always take hat, headband and goggles just in case. Lots of total block sun cream as well. Most people go up in trainers and take their ski boots in back packs, so make sure you pack those. Leave your trainers in your backpack at the top (never knicked). There's a ski store up there where you can leave your skis and sticks for a modest price, but you can't leave your boots. Don't go to the ESF. If you want more info then look at my website www.easiski.com - there's a special summer page.

paulmck, The green run is the Roche Mantel with the 3 man chair coming back up. Signal is the later part of that with the 4 man chair going up to the ridge.
latest report
stanton wrote:
I know theres another few weeks of this season left however, any folk planning skiing this summer of course with a few Pit-stops in the sun ?

I don't know but people who care about the environment should avoid summer ski resorts in the Alps. There has been below average snow at altitude this winter and that means snow canons at 3000 meters (a la Tignes and Val d'Isère) and lots of "work" by the ratracs. Don't encourage them. There are plenty of other activities in the mountains during the summer. Of course flying half way round the world to South America or Oz is not very sensible either, even if the Ski Club promises to plant a tree for every km covered... but pfff whatever.

I suggest getting some turns in on your local plastic slope.
snow conditions
davidof, Your point is valid, but what about those of us who have to make a living? Do you suggest we all become "part time" ski teachers? Surely not!

The lift company have ploughed huge furrows over much of our glacier at the moment - I presume to preserve the snow for the summer season. We don't have cannons up there, but they're certainly talking about it.
ski holidays
It is a real dilemma Charlotte, although if the warm weather continues you should consider teaching white water rafting in the Romanche.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
davidof,

There is nothing you, me or even the Swiss wrapping there Glaciers in foil can do about natures course. The Glaciers have been melting for centuries. Only when the Ice Pak gets down to a few kilometres do people start noticing. I equate it all be it on a smaller scale to the last few days of the ski season where the snow appears to melt & disappear much quicker Sad

What’s wrong with going half way round the world to ski?

I’m for taking the lifts out and banning grooming machines!

Let’s not get into an environmental debate.

What environmentally friendly material is a plastic slope made from?

Stop the Brutal Grooming Very Happy
ski holidays
Winter skiing mode reverts to summer Rugby League mode till the clocks go back again.
Pile of ski brochures next to my armchair though, for wistful reading whilst Mrs Dub is watching Emmerdale.
snow conditions
davidof, I agree it's a dilemma, but I don't like getting wet!! Also I only like teaching ski-ing. The alternative is the horrid UK and an office job. No can do I'm afraid - 3 months a year is more than enough. Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy