Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

La Rosiere

Poster: A snowHead
Never been to LR, booking for next year, LR has been recommended... any good, can anyone say? We are 1 x advanced adult, 1 x intermediate adult and 2 earl;y internediate kids.

Thanks in advance.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
northernsoulboy, I suggest you use the search function to find a sample of the polarised views which have been expressed about La Rosiere. Seems to be the Marmite of ski resorts. wink there are hundreds - probably thousands - of posts about La Rosiere.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Right. Or I could just post here and people can answer if they want to?
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
La Ros is a perfectly good resort. Ther's a fair amount of skiing, a nice link with Italy and it's a fair bet for snow. The prosletysing about the resort one way or another tends to polarise attitudes towards the resort with resulting polemic and anecdote, some of it a bit colorful! This all tends to confuse the picture.

From the very brief skier profile you give it's going to be ok as a destination. However, if you like fighting, boozing heavily, being a loud nuisance or behaving atrociously like a Tory spiv in the likes of Val D'Isere, then this is certainly not the place for you.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
We had a good family holiday there - plenty of nice open runs, particularly for the early intermediate kids. Link to La Thuile opens up a broader area. Friendly village but quite small so not for those who like the night life as Kevin said. Would go back there - if there weren't so many other resorts we haven't yet tried!!!
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
northernsoulboy, La Ros will probably suit your needs well, particularly for the children. The ski schools have a good reputation (both ESF and Evol 2). Adults may prefer slightly more challenging and varied terrain on the Italian side which needs to be considered if you have to be back to meet kids from ski school.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
northernsoulboy wrote:
Shocked
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
My mate lives there as his chosen home and after 5 years still loves it, skied there a day month ago, great for unskied off piste, quiet, no queuing and ESF director is English. One lively bar, Petit Danwa (SP) and seasonaires keep goning back.
Nuf said yet?
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
We are off there on Sunday Very Happy

Never been before, but have only heard good things about it (didnt ask on here though) Confused
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
northernsoulboy, IMO La Rosierre is the best small resort in France, but I'm biased as I have a chalet there. The ski area is very different on either side of border but don't think about skiing in 2 countries just treat the ski area as a single entity. It's a great resort for kids, it's good for intermediates there are some challenging blacks on the Italian side, for the advanced skiers, there's a dedicated off-piste area, heli-skiing with one of the world's top off-pistes descents. The village is friendly, compact and not expensive with some good bars and restaurants where Brits are welcomed, although, as Kevin has said you won't find riotous night life.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Now been twice - wanted to go to a) tick it off list, b) see what it was like for myself and c) most important had heard that it was a good resort for kids. Really enjoyed both times, would echo most of the comments here about scale of area and quietness, which in my view was great for what a wanted, somewhere where my 8 yr old daughter wouldn't be intimidated on the slopes by huge numbers of skiers. And it's also a lot cheaper than it's neighbors!
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
northernsoulboy,
The advanced adult might find the piste skiing less challenging than some, but overall it's an excellent area with some good off piste.
If going late in the season you should be aware that it is south facing and if the children are young its a wee bit of a trek to the North and East facing skiing at La Thuile. If going early in the season the south facing stuff for young kids is a real advantage with its good snow record.
I have only stayed on the Italian side , I have recommended there to several friends with children, everyone of them has returned which must say something positive about the area.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
We still look back at La Rosiere as the only resort we have been to that we really did not like at all, however there was great skiing in La Thuile after the first 2 days so we still had a fun holiday. The worst part was night, what do you do once it's dark - our kids got sooooooooo bored.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I liked LaRos' when I went 2 years ago. It's a bit limited unless you get over to LaThuile (watch the take off on the tow!). I'd say it's got the best resort runs for beginners that I've come across.
Might be quiet at night but I like that and have usually skied so long during the day that I'm too knackered to care.
adrian
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Went to La Ros this year in Jan, did lots of research on the resort and since visiting found that if you havent been in the last 2-3 years then you cant give a true opinion.
A mixed group of seven of us went aged 25ish with experience from 1year to 7 years and had a great time, personally we'd of liked it alot livlier at night but if you went to the right places at the right times you could find the crowd.
Id say it is the perfect resort for your situation, enough skiing for you with la thuile and plenty in La ros for partner n kids, at night there is ten pin bowling, ice skating, cinema, spa, quiz nights/bingo etc.
Enough restraunts to eat somehwere different each night, just. all nice food though.
Id reccomend staying in Les Balcons if you havnt booked anywhere yet, book it direct with skicollection and book flights with easyjet, we got a 13 person 130m2 chalet appartment for £170 each, flights were £65, you could get a 5 person appartment which is big enough for 4 which works out at £90 each per week.
Hope this helps Puzzled
snow report
Quote:

if you havent been in the last 2-3 years then you cant give a true opinion.

why's that? Has it changed a lot?
latest report
northernsoulboy, Read this for a balanced view
http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=17956
snow report
I've never been to La Ros. But I've read loads of reviews that say it's a paradise for skiers of all abilities*.

*and one or two that genuinely think it's pretty good. snowHead Laughing
ski holidays
We had a great holiday there in Jan 09. I consider the ski area to be the whole of la rosiere/la thuile and there was more than enough skiing within the two areas for a weeks holiday. The slopes at la rosiere were perfect for children learning to ski. My husband and I loved skiing over to la Thuile. There is also the great fontaine froide run at la rosiere itself - it had the odd rock showing through when we skiied it so was harder than the average red. The san bernando area had some good runs too.

We loved the new Eucharts area. It was virtually car free, nice walk through woods to main part of la rosiere, ice rink, bowling, creperie, pizza restaurant, luxury self catering with pool (cimes blanches) - ski to and from the door.

The only drawbacks we found with the resort were the freezing wind (buy a balclava) and some of the chairs were a bit slow. Also piste map did not show links to la thuile very well.

How old are your children Jane L? My children were under 6 and by the time they'd skied, sledged and been swimming they were ready for supper and bed.

The other advantage of la rosiere is that it can be reached easily by the direct eurostar ski train. Only a short taxi ride up the mountain from bourg st maurice.
latest report
Axsman wrote:
I've never been to La Ros. But I've read loads of reviews that say it's a paradise for skiers of all abilities*.

Don't sit on the fence man! Are you an expert or is that your opinion? Toofy Grin wink
latest report
northernsoulboy wrote:

Bloody obnoxious. Post it in the right forum (Resorts might be a hint) and be polite.
ski holidays
Boredsurfing wrote:
Axsman wrote:

Don't sit on the fence man! Are you an expert or is that your opinion? Toofy Grin wink

Received wisdom. wink Laughing
snow report
Thanks for replies everyone, very helpful. Apart from Nadenoodlee, obviously.
snow report
northernsoulboy, If my posts were helpful in any way I can assure you that it was both unusual and entirely accidental. Madeye-Smiley
snow report
OK - and Axsman as well.
snow conditions
northernsoulboy, Glad we cleared that up. Toofy Grin
ski holidays
PAM W, yeah it has if you read the reports and speak to people who have been in the past and present, Les Eucherts used to be a small village to the right of La Ros with no entertainment, many restaurants etc, now it houses the majority of la rosieres of piste activities. Which wernt there when it was just la ros! My opinion anyway, no expert just going off what an old rep that lived there fr a few years told me,and what id read!
ski holidays
We have just got back from La Rosiere and had a fantastic time. The skiing was brilliant in L.R and even better over the mountain in La Thuile. It is cheaper than the 3V and we are already planning to go back next year!
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
agree with CarlT, we've just got from La Ros, (last weekend) and had a great time, we were a group of mixed abililities but we all found great skiing and terrific conditions, with masses of snow and every run open, I can't think of any other resort I've been where that was the case. Before going we were a tad concerned, some of the negative postings, but it's been one of our best trips ever. The lift pass was good value, none of the bars or restuarants we visited were nearly as expensive as the 3Vs, although we only ate out on one night as we were staying in a chalet with MoreAlps, super food and terrific hosting from Dan who has lived in the village since 1999, so he knows the area really well, took us to some wonderful places which we would never have found for ourselves. All in all, much better than we had expected and I wonder whether any of the posters with negative comments have ever been there because I didn't recognise the place from their descriptions.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy