Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

British snowboarder dies in crevasse fall on Vallee Blanche

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
From pistehors.com newsletter last night:

Quote:
Sorry to bring bad news but I would like to draw your attention to a series of accidents in the French Mountains, both the Alps and Pyrenees which have lead to six deaths from avalanches over the last few days and a fatal crevasse fall for a British snowboarder on the Vallée Blanche route.

After a long period of severe cold, that has slowed down the stabilisation of the snowpack and created unstable layers there are now spring like conditions with temperatures expected to reach 20 degrees in the valleys tomorrow. The warm weather can lead to wet slow avalanches as the day progesses with east followed by south and west slopes being affected. The strong winds during the winter have left many ridges and summits exposed but there are large accumulations of snow elsewhere with some large slabs present, especially on north sector slopes, these are frequently sitting on weak layers and the bonds may have been weakened by the warming weather.

The warm weather has also weakened snow bridges over crevasses and will lead to icy conditions earlier in the morning.

http://www.pistehors.com/comments/439_0_1_0_C/ - Brit Boarder in VB Crevasse Fall

http://www.pistehors.com/comments/438_0_1_0_C/ - Mt. Thabor Avalanche Kills Two

http://www.pistehors.com/comments/437_0_1_0_C/ - Search Resumes for Snowboarder

http://www.pistehors.com/comments/436_0_1_0_C/ - Savoie Avalanche Claims Three Skiers

Quote:
A 25 year old British snowboarder has been killed after falling 30 meters into a crevasse while surfing the Vallée Blanche above Chamonix. The man was with four friends at 3,400 meters altitude close to the Gros Rognon when the snow bridge covering the crevasse collapsed.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I've temporarily made this a sticky posting, because all snowheads should be made aware of the changes in conditions currently occuring.

Please if you are going to be on the mountains anytime in the near future take the changing weather conditions into account, we have no wish to loose any of our members to avalanches or cravasses
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
good advice DGO snowHead
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Last week, in ski-touring based at Realp (near Andermatt) and the Rotondo Hut, with a UIAGM guide:

A cornice fell away about 1.5 metres on my left.
    The guide triggered off a thin slab avalanche as he led a new phase in some skiing (he was OK, he was skiing high).
    We skied across one or 2 day old avalanche debris (very hard icy lumps about the size of grapefruits, fortunaltely leaving something like a cobbled surface) as we came down a narrow, steep-sided valley.

Certainly no places to be without a guide.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
D G Orf, Good on ya. Just yesterday I refused an off piste lesson because I was only available in the afternoons - much too risky at the moment.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
The avalanche warning for much of Austria is only 3 acording to http://www.lawine.at/ I'm surprized it's not higher with the recent sharp increase in temps (parts of Austria were 20 deg C today, that's approx 30 deg warmer than it was just a couple of weeks back)

http://uk.news.yahoo.com/050311/323/fe547.html
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
2 to 3 in Switzerland accorinding to SLF
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
There was an wet-snow avalanche on a south-west facing slope close to where we were ski touring in the Belledonne mountains at around 13h30 and the rescue services helicopter made a number of rotations. It seems people were involved and is a reminder to keep off those warm slopes after midday.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
davidof,

South facing slopes in these temperatures and after midday...!!!

There must have been slopes going off all over the place, at least there were this time last week in Engelberg when the temperature was high
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Heard it was raining last night in Belleplagne at 2100 but snowing up top.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy