Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Can you beat this for a ½ term story?

Poster: A snowHead
Three weeks before ½ term, family ski holiday booked for Easter, discover nobody at work is taking ½ term off. Two of our four children otherwise engaged, so ideal opportunity to see how feasible it is to get late booking at ½ term…

Watch the web sites, some reductions appearing, but not very much. One week before departure, bargain appears. Four people self catering in Nendaz (Switzerland’s Four Valleys), flights and transfers included, £800 the lot. Book it, and smile…
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
One week later, packing until midnight, alarm set for 03.50, early morning drive to Gatwick. Huge queue at Inghams check in (beginning to remember why we usually drive), eventually, when we’re nearly at the front, get called through to priority booking as our flight is nearly departing. Swept through to Executive check in, smile begins to reappear…

Woman at Executive check in baffled why only two seats left on the flight, and four of us. We’re not worried, just a computer glitch associated with booking last minute, it’ll all be sorted. Still smiling…

Check in’s supervisor can’t understand it. Better find Inghams rep. Nice Inghams rep comes along, he’ll sort it out, start to smile again…

Nice Inghams rep asks, “When were you expecting to travel.” Standing at check in, surrounded by family, suitcases and skis, would have thought the answer perfectly obvious. Nice Inghams man points to date on paperwork – 13 March, not 13 Feb. Smile disappears, wishing the floor would open up, hoping there’s not one of those reality TV crews nearby.

Nice Inghams rep already checked - no spare capacity. Quick trawl of the airlines £600 pp to Geneva. Smile now upside down…
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Not all is lost. Go up to Costa, regroup. New plan.

Phone Nendaz tourist office. Any accommodation for one week starting today? Given number of Immo Centrale, Nendaz. Sylvie says, yes, one apartment left, for four people, swimming pool, sauna, and last minute reduction. Smile reappears.

Sylvie emails details to iphone, looks good, call her back, pay there and then with plastic, even bigger smile. By 9.30, back on M23, this time bound for tunnel, booking crossing online on iphone. Everything’s right with the world. Phone Sylvie to say en route, but won’t be there by 6pm. Sylvie asks where we are – we answer, “London.” She hadn’t seen that one coming. No worries, Sylvie will leave key in bar, open until midnight. More smiles…
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Get to tunnel. Train broken down in tunnel in middle of ½ term rush. Everything backed up. Four hour delay. Phone Sylvie. Midnight looking unlikely. No worries, says she, call at 4pm when you know where you are. Sylvie restores smiles…
4pm, not even reached Reims (no maps, no snow chains, no yellow jackets, no documents, smile distinctly forced), but now making good progress on empty autoroutes as the ½ term crown is way ahead of us. No queues at peage or fuel stops. Phone Sylvie, not looking good for midnight. No worries, says she, bar open until 2 am. Smiles return…

Fastest trip ever through France ever, no maps, just instinct! Arrive bar in Nendaz 12.05. Key and directions in envelope, all very organised and Swiss, just as Sylvie said. Free parking outside apartment door. Unpack, bed, and big smiles…

Self catering holiday 13-20 March to Nendaz for four people, including flights, now on ebay! Even bigger smiles if someone buys it!
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Chamcham, Excellent - well done!
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
This really made me smile Happy
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Chamcham, Brilliant, best half term story so far ......... snowHead
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Wow, brilliant story.

And you have another trip in March, already paid for.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Chamcham, top marks for initiative! snowHead
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
I very nearly booked for 13th March by misstake but realised at the last min that something wasn't quite right. Still you've still got that trip to enjoy next month wink

I thought my tale was a good one but it's not quite up to your standard...
I booked independantly flying from Heathrow to Milan with Lufthansa. Drive to London from Manchester OK, got to Milan at 10pm Sunday eve' to find my driving licence had fallen out of my bag (found on return in the back of my car) so Avis wouldn't let me have the hire car. Taxi to motel near the airport to sleep and think. Great Italian motel staff got us out of the s**t and onto 4 trains and 2 busses and on the slopes by 1pm Monday.
Skied all week, including a full day Friday, before 3 trians and a bus back to Milan airport by midnight Fri'. Kipped there and caught the flight back Sat morning.
Can't recommend the Hotel Vallee Blanche, Courmayeur or the Green Motel near Malpensa airport enough; They went way beyond what I'd have expected to help us. The Italian railways deserve praise as well; despite looking a bit run down in places (some bits looked like the last time they were painted, Musolini was still in charge), everything ran on time and cost less than 20euro each way for a 200k ish trip.

adrian
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I would have broken down in a quivering heap long before getting to Nendaz. Well done that snowHead! snowHead
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Chamcham, fantastic tale with a happy ending thank goodness, you had me worried a couple of times Laughing
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I was on the edge of my seat for that! Great story, well written, Very Happy Hope you get some money back from the other booking!
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Chamcham, you utter berk. Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing

Hilarious.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
It's easily done - I've booked a ferry in the early hours before (12.20 am I think) and forgotten that after midnight it turns into the next day (if you see what I mean). Managed to blag our way onto a virtually empty ferry though.

Even better my brother (on a summer trip back to the UK from Chatel) was pushed for time and chancing his arm a bit on a dual carriageway with a 110kph limit. Saw the gendarme with the radar kit at the last minute and thought he could just keep going, turn off at the next exit and pootle along the back roads to the following junction.....where he found the gendarme waiting for him. Euro 150 lighter he arrived at Calais to discover that his had booked his ferry for that day and time but the following year. Expensive tunnel crossing followed.

Watch out for website drop-downs. If you click in the drop-down and then scroll with the mouse wheel it takes you to the bottom of the drop-down - I'm pretty sure that how my brother misbooked.
snow conditions
DJL, you just made me have a moment of panic as I booked our summer ferry earlier this week, on a day when I was pretty hassled.....just checked and we are indeed booked for 2010 - phew Shocked Very Happy
ski holidays
Chamcham, Brilliant story Laughing Impressed with the recovery - kudos!
ski holidays
PMSL
ski holidays
Laughing Laughing Laughing
snow conditions
Forgot to mention one extra element.

The moment it was apparent I'd blown it, 16 year old son gets on the internet on his phone, and posts on Facebook, "I'm in Gatwick airport with no holiday - my dad booked the wrong month." Within an hour, numerous texts and phone calls from all over the world trying to tread the delicate line betwen commiseration and amusement. All the friends we were supposed to be meeting in Verbier already had the full story.
snow report
PMSL again
ski holidays
Quote:

Watch out for website drop-downs. If you click in the drop-down and then scroll with the mouse wheel it takes you to the bottom of the drop-down - I'm pretty sure that how my brother misbooked

2 years ago, off to St Anton with a friend when at 4am in his flat he realised he had fallen foul of this and booked the flight at the end of the day not the beginning, turned up at Stansted (I think though my memory is dodgy) and he had to pay Mr Leary £240 to get to Freidrichschafen with me!
latest report
Chamcham, top thinking on your feet Sir.
snow conditions
Oh, and another. As we were going to Switzerland, we had lots of CHF, but for the drive through France we had no Euros, no food, no drink, no snacks, no coffee. Amazing what can be achieved with a mobile phone and credit card.
latest report
Classic Very Happy Very Happy
snow conditions
well done chamcham, I think if that had of happend to us we would have just went home with our tail between our legs. YOu must be very optomistic to not let a really bad situation turn sour. glad you had a good holiday in the end. good luck with selling it on ebay. will you go in March anyway if it doesnt sell?
ski holidays
No, can't go in March. Mother-in-law's 70th birthday family shindig on 20th March - three line whip. Already been twice this year, and planning a thrid at Easter, with possibly a bit of ski touring in April. Four's enough, five would be excessive...
ski holidays
Chamcham,
Quote:

five would be excessive...

Puzzled Puzzled Puzzled Puzzled Puzzled Puzzled WHY Very Happy
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Chamcham, Well done, 007 and Derek Trotter spring to mind.

Last edited by You know it makes sense. on Sat 27-02-10 10:11; edited 2 times in total
latest report
Quote:

Can you beat this for a ½ term story?

No, It was great.
snow report
DJL wrote:

Watch out for website drop-downs. If you click in the drop-down and then scroll with the mouse wheel it takes you to the bottom of the drop-down - I'm pretty sure that how my brother misbooked.

This caught me out with hire car booking for Portugal. Email confirmation had me collecting car at Faro, and dropping off at Lisbon, when I wanted to go back to Faro. It took several emails to sort out, and when I arr at Faro, surprise, they had lost all trace of any booking! Luckily I took a copy with me and they managed to find a much bigger car than I'd ordered:-)

Well done on the 1/2 term trip...
ski holidays
Well done that man, what a superstar, I hope your son was impressed that you turned it around.

My journey to Nendaz this year was a diaster, got up at 5am, got to Gatwick at 6am, amazingly small queue at Easyjet check-in desk, very impressive. Then a massive wait at security, not so good.
Get inside to find flight has been delayed 2 hrs, never mind, can have a big fry up brekkie to compensate (had forgotten to make any food for kids anyway who hate airplane food) and do some proper shopping, hurrah.
Husband tells me I should phone Avis and explain we will be late but I think that's a bit OTT so don't bother.
Finally get onto the flight 4 hrs late only to be told we have to wait on tarmac for 50 mins and there's no hot food. Kids starving by now Sad
Really annoyed by now as I realise we are going to be driving in the dark to a place I have never visited, grr
Get to Geneva and the snotty woman behind the AVIS desk tells me "I should have phoned" to say I was going to be late. I apologised, explained the delay got longer and longer without me realsing the implications. She tells me she could have "given the car to someone else". I asked how come, it's paid for, in full, how can she give it away? She tells me if I'm late they give it to someone else, marvellous. Husband gives me an "I told you so" stare.
Turns out she had given it to someone else but we got a better car as a result, phew.
Then Husband reminds me I was going to do the driving which was a bug because I HATE driving on motorways in the dark but since they want another 140euro to put him on as a driver we decide against it, so I have to drive. SO annoying, I paid more for the earlier flight to avoid driving in the dark, typical.
So we set off, immediately go the wrong way, and then after about 10 mins it starts snowing, hard, pretty much all the way to Nendaz. Huge big mesmerising flakes.
I was exhausted, starving and peed off.

Still, the car was nice, the appartment was lovely and the skiing was fantastic.
snow report
I once turned up at a hotel only to find I had booked for the following year !! I've recently booked the same hotel, and yep, the same thing happened, but fortunately I noticed when I got the email confirmation. Chamcham, excellent story Laughing Laughing
snow report
Chamcham, Brilliant well done! From the thread title I was expecting a story featuring Ski Beat Toofy Grin
ski holidays
Chamcham, we have a three-line whip for MILS 80th birthday on the 20th too. As we were meant to be celebrating on 4th April, and had to change to accommodate her son who lives abroad we've had to delay our hols by a few days. The birthday is on the 29th, but he was expected to be coming over for the Easter weekend.
snow report
Chamcham, I'm glad you didn't give up when it was all stacked against you !!
snow report
Shimmy Alcott, love your link, I hope u win it wink
snow report
I am more concerned that the bar was due to close at midnight.............................. Laughing
ski holidays
My mum turned up at the airport on the wrong date once. She also booked flights to Alicante once when her holiday was in Malaga and didn't even realise until the pilot announced they were about to land in Alicante. Huge security scare on the plane when her and my aunty were insisting they had booked tickets for Malaga (or wherever the airport was). Captain was going ballistic that security and cabin crew had let two passengers on with incorrect tickets. Then they checked their tickets and saw that they were on the right flight for the destination they'd booked, it was just the wrong destination.
Easy mistake to make, except they'd been going to the same resort (where their friends lived) for years.
Numpty's. The pair of them!
Oh, and last year my mum forgot her passport and only realised when we got to the airport. It cost £70 round trip in a taxi!
ski holidays
Very Happy
Another good 1/2 term story was the time a group of 12 of us were travelling to Portugal for a skydiving trip with lots of luggage, waiting at the check-in desk in Heathrow to fly to Lisbon, where we had booked to pick up 4 small hire cars, with 3 to a car, to drive to central Portugal. We call the mising guy to ask how far away he was and should we start checking in, when he replied that he was at the airport check-in already and couldn't see any of us. What terminal are you at? we asked. South he says. Which Airport? Gatwick he says...

It was in the days of 1 hour check-ins, so we had to leave without him while he desperately rushed across London to try to catch the flight. He failed! And as one of the cars was booked in his name, we then had to leave a car behind at Lisbon and 11 of us cram into 3 tiny cars. How we laughed at him
wink
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy