Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Resort with heaviest snowfall in the world? It's in Britain.

Poster: A snowHead
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/scotland/highlands_and_islands/8538404.stm

Quote:
The ski centre at Glencoe Mountain has had the heaviest snowfalls of any winter sports resort in the world

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Fri 26-02-10 13:44; edited 1 time in total
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Boredsurfing, Guess where arv is going tomorrow?

I love the way the English take Scotland under their wing when they want in on the glory Laughing
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Shimmy Alcott, Even better was at the last winter olympics when, when the GBR curling team won something, the radio commentator referred to the all scot team as the English team.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Shame the access road will be closed and no-one can get there to enjoy it Toofy Grin
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Boris, no, that's simply false.

It may be true of Cairngorm but the access road to Glencoe is an easily maintained 1/2 mile stretch of tarmac with a 5% gradient off of the A82, the major trunk road across the West Highlands.

Glencoe will be fully open tomorrow and folk will be skiing 800+ metres of vertical through waist deep fluff.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
moffatross, Yes I know - it was a deliberate troll, should have used the trolling smiley or wink

Although as in my case the access roads would include the M6 the roads being blocked is probably true rolling eyes

Last edited by You'll need to Register first of course. on Fri 26-02-10 13:54; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Boris wrote:
Shame the access road will be closed and no-one can get there to enjoy it Toofy Grin

it's apparently open now as are some lifts......
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
moffatross, are you going up? Going to try and leave at a decent time but the A82 being closed early this morning and the main road out of Helensburgh being shut only added to the predicament. Might throw in the big skis Laughing

Was the direction the storm came in favourable for snow depositing on the good stuff?
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I see the wind at sea level is only 14-17mph. Pah that'll barely be making 50mph up the hill. You can't ski in Scotland in only 50mph of wind.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
arv, hope so but not sure. You know me and the weather, I'll go if I think there's vis but I'm not going to spend a day in whiteout. Very Happy I've just put some Fritschi Freerides on some Dynastar 8800's so I'll be needing to take 2 sets of boots & skis. Dynastars have a 25 m turn and are relatively fat ... am looking fwd to the comedy moments.

From what Andy M. wrote up and the peeks through the gloom at the webcams, the front of the mountain has picked up huge snow. Top & east ridge will probably be scoured, off piste south and NW might be loaded but will be absolutely deadly for a good few days. Spring & Etive Glades etc should be awesome but wind might be a bit 'whippy'.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
moffatross, I'll be taking 2 pairs and inevitably making the wrong choice either way Laughing

Might be worth braving the weather - purely for the snow. The lift rides up could be a bit chilly Wink
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
arv, have you de-friended me on Fb? Laughing Laughing Talk about a sore loser Laughing Laughing
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Shimmy Alcott wrote:
...I love the way the English take Scotland under their wing when they want in on the glory Laughing

Do they? What glory was it that we were sharing when the English took under their wing RBS and HBOS?

However, the Scots' snow is making me think about where I might go for a week's skiing sometime after the MSB. The EOSB is a tad late in the season, I think. The way things are going, a week somewhere near Fort Bill could be fun. Could take in maybe Aonach Mor and Glencoe.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Quote:

What glory was it that we were sharing when the English took under their wing RBS and HBOS?

There you go again...didn't realise it was just the English taxpayers that bailed out the banks wink Laughing
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
hmm Google says 10 hours 49 mins or Montalbert 12 hours 05 mins Cool

Google map directions now link into street view for the junctions in France and some in England, how clever is that Very Happy

Last edited by Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name: on Fri 26-02-10 14:56; edited 1 time in total
snow report
Shimmy Alcott wrote:
Quote:

What glory was it that we were sharing when the English took under their wing RBS and HBOS?

There you go again...didn't realise it was just the English taxpayers that bailed out the banks wink Laughing

But it is just the English taxpayers - no-one works in Scotland - they're all on benefits

JOKE/TROLLING SMILEY
snow conditions
Boredsurfing, I hope you lose your passport/driving license/any other relevant photo I.D Toofy Grin
snow report
arv, I've skied in Scotland, Very Happy Driving sleet, low vis etc etc , makes a man of yer Laughing
snow conditions
Shimmy Alcott, we certainly did. In spades. Other contributions were unfortunately trivial. Wouldn't have been so bad if the Scottish government had suggested opting out of the Barnett formula - but it seems to have forgotten to do so. rolling eyes

Boredsurfing, you forgot the boiler plate ice Toofy Grin . Still thinking of a week up there, though.
snow report
I heard that the Falklands actually belonged to Scotland and the SNP will now be using the argument as part of their independence battle.

Boredsurfing, Laughing tomorrow will definitely be driving snow and low vis... can't wait!
ski holidays
Will this year's colder weather delay the start of the Scottish mud sliding season?
snow report
Boris,
Quote:

But it is just the English taxpayers - no-one works in Scotland - they're all on benefits

See yuse pal, yer askin' fer a batterin' Toofy Grin
ski holidays
bar shaker, shouldn't think so, as long as they don't play the I love the way the English take Scotland under their wing when they want in on the glory card. Toofy Grin
snow conditions
shame englands not actually a real country - it doesnt even have its own parliament! wink
latest report
here is a video from Glencoe / Nevis last weekend by the way.

seriously - perhaps the best snow in Europe right now.

http://www.haggistrap.co.uk/articles/bigweekend.shtml
snow report
Haggis_Trap, great video

What is the soundtrack?
ski holidays
thanks
- background song is the peatobg faeries (track - nyup)
. check them out!
ski holidays
Thank you Haggis_Trap.
Excellent band.
I think
Captain Coull's Parrott would also make a good skiing soundtrack snowHead

Are there lots of these bagpipe bands?
Only knew about
Red Hot Chilli Pipers until now.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
anarchicsaltire, Well if you insist - deep fried mars bar please Cool
snow conditions
Boris, Laughing you are on fire today
snow report
Pmsl at Boris Very Happy
ski holidays
Haggis_Trap wrote:
here is a video from Glencoe / Nevis last weekend by the way.

seriously - perhaps the best snow in Europe right now.

http://www.haggistrap.co.uk/articles/bigweekend.shtml

Hmm. I have loaded the latest flash player into Firefox - but all I get is an animated 'vimeo' logo.
ski holidays
I love the way some Scots, who somehow manage to see over the chip on their shoulder and their inferiority complex, to scour every bit of writing in the world ever written by anyone with a vaguely English connection and whinge on about it forever. Makes you proud to be . . . British !
ski holidays
Think we should just keep this one about the snow. Shimmy Alcott isn't even Scottish (or English for that matter). When the skiing is this good the only chips I care about are the ones available at Glencoe. Is the fryer working yet?
snow report
arv wrote:
Think we should just keep this one about the snow......

You do as you wish - as will we Toofy Grin

Last edited by Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do. on Fri 26-02-10 21:20; edited 2 times in total
snow report
achilles, Madeye-Smiley
snow conditions
Nickski,t$sser
ski holidays
arv, is very quiet - hopefully he is already getting in some turns snowHead
ski holidays
This article is silly and misleading, perhaps it was the heaviest snowfall in the world on 24th Feb 2010 but Bridger Bowl Ski Resort had 72 inches in 24 hours in 2004.

Last edited by You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net. on Sun 28-02-10 0:45; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
Haggis_Trap, Loved the video. On epossible soundtrack would be "Piper Active". My Pal Kenny Forsyth is in them. He can play anything Happy

Also that is an interesting accent at the end of the film.... Er du Dansk?
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy