Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Obergurgl and the Hotel Lohmann

Poster: A snowHead
Hi. Thinking about staying at the Hotel Lohmann in Obergurgul soon but just read a few really bad reports on tripdavisor. Anyone with any views? Also, skiing with an early intermediate. Are the red runs suitable for this level eg any particular steep reds to avoid? Thanks
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obergurgl and Hochgurgl are great for intermediates gaining experience and growing their confidence with very wide pistes and little chance of getting lost. While some of the reds are a little steeper (Red 3 is quite tricky) others are very simple (Red 17 for example) and Red 11/13 off the top of Hohe Mut is beautiful. There is nothing absolutely crazy. Even the blacks (and there are only a couple) are nothing like some of the blacks elsewhere.

Never stayed in the Lohmann - sorry.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Hampton, welcome to Snowheads.

I've stayed in the Lohmann 4 or 5 times. It's not as ritzty as some of the hotels in Obergurgl, but it's a really pleasant family run business. We stopped as they put the prices up as they enhanced the place and we were paying for things we didn't need or want. Can't be bothered to look at tripadvisor. What are the whinges?
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
As I've had plenty of information from this forum, I thought that it's about time I added my tuppence worth,and came up with my first post. Stayed at the Lohmann last week in Jan. rooms were clean and tidy, food was good -always a choice, staff very friendly and helpful, there is a ski rental shop within the hotel. The hotel is situated equal distance from the 2 gondolas(about 300mtr). Obergurgl has a mix of red and blue runs, whereas Hochgurgl has mainly blue - a couple of which, are very wide, the pistes on both areas are not very well signed, it's not a big problem as you soon find your way round. There is a very good apres ski bar/restaurant on blue 6 in Obergurgl called the "Nederhutte", live music from about 4.30 three times a week, get there an hour before if you want a seat.If you have one tooo many, they have a skidoo with a trailer to get you down to the bottom .
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Thanks very much to the responses so far. Great to hear that the food was ok. Reports from whingers on tripadvisor said it was awfull. "RELEIF!!!" Is Red 11 from the top suitable for early intermediates. I heard it was an intermediary but have no idea what this is lol. Any ideas? Thanks again and great to be part of the Snowheads gang!!
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
don't recall a 13 from the top and can't find it on the piste map but 1 & 11 are itineries - marked andd cleared off-piste routes; although it hass to be said somme of the edge mamrking can be scant at times. My wife who is very nervous and about where you are had no pproblems with any of the reds.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
There are itineries and itineries! The one's in St Anton are rather tricky. The one from Hohe Mut is so well skied that it is little more than a challenge and is so pretty that it has to be done.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Hampton , can't comment on Red 11 as I never tried it as it was marked as an "off-Piste" route , it branches off from Red 16 which starts from the top of the "Hohe Mut" , 16 is a good run (narrow in a couple of places) all the way down to "Davids ski-hutte", where you can get a 6 man lift which takes you halfway up 16 again, or rather than come down 16 again - you can opt for blue 15 , which joins with blue 6 outside the "Nedrhutte" There is a nice red 25 over in Hochgurgl which takes you down passed Hochgurgl, and through the trees parallel to the new toboggan run, finishing at the Hochgurglbahn gondola,When you take this gondola to the top,ski across (150mtr) to the "Top Wormkogl 2 " lift , this takes you up to the top of the Wormkogl,over 3000 mtr , fantastic views and a good cafe here.Once again the Lohmann not the best hotel in town , but had no complaints, also free drinks with the evening meal, wine beer ,and soft drinks
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Ian L, Thanks for the great info. Is Red 25 in Hochgurgl suitalbe for early intermediates? She is actually an ok skiier just hates anything to steep. It the first time i have not booked ski school for her and i dont want to blow her confidence taking her down anything to steep too soon.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Id suggest doing the harder reds on the Obergurgl side earlier in the day and transferring to the easier runs of Hochgurgl later on. (you can always get the bus back which in any case is slightly quicker than the gondola plus skiing way back). Compared with France and Italy the pistes aren't bashed quite as firmly which is fun for more advanced skiers but a bit scary in the afternoons for early intermediates eg. red 3 gets quite icy lower down and the narrower bits of red 16 get most of the snow scraped off to the sides by the afternoon. Red 17 has been reclassified as a blue (although not all the signs have been changed to reflect this) and it's a hugely enjoyable run through the trees with a great cafe at the bottom.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Hampton, I would class myself as an intermediete skier , this was only my 7th time skiing, only ever had 2 lessons( on the wrong side of 50 to worry about it), and I found Red 25 very enjoyable. Like truffaut says the harder reds are all on the Obergurgl side . If you dont fancy the 300 mtr walk to one of the gondolas, there is an easier way , when you leave the ski/boot room of the Lohmann and walk out onto the street , turn left walk about 80 mtr, cross the road and through a small car park with a white hotel on your left, you should be able to see the very short button lift(wiessenlift) just the other side of the ski school , at the top of this lift it's a very short diagonal ski to the Festkogelbahn gondola,when you get to the top of this gondola it's a blue 5/red3(easy) to the "Top Express" - gondola link to Hochgurg. If you come back over to O/gurgl late in the day , agree with truffaut that the runs back down can be interesting , especially red3 as my rearend will testify. Enjoy yourself, by the way the Wurmkoglhutte - good self service restaurant on the H/gurgl side.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Thanks guys. Really helpfull. Cant wait to get going now. I assume there is some somewher at the bottom of the slopes to save carrying the clobber back to the hotel at the end of the day?
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I doubt it - along with Obertauern and Oberlech it's one of the most ski-in/ski-out resorts in Austria. Ian L has given you the insider's tip on how to get from the Lohmann to the slopes in the least possible time. If you want closer than that there are several hotels literally on the slopes such as the Edelweiss & Gurgl or over in Hochgurgl the Hotel Riml.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Thanks everyone. Info has been great. For future ideas can anyone recommend resorts in Europe for great tree lined skiing? I believe there is a bit in Obergurgl?
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
The Scheiber rental shops offer overnight ski/boot storage , around 20 euros for 6 days, but Obergurgl is small enough , that wherever you finish ,it's only a few minutes walk back to the Lohmann .
ski holidays
There is also a hut you can leave your skis etc down by the ski school office .which is near meeting place and lifts,.your skis would not be insured here but it is locked every evening. We took out an insurance for skis anyway so they would be covered ,enquire about it because a lot of people use this as well as instructors.
snow conditions
Red 11 is fairly steep and was certainly bumpy in mainly flat light for much of the last week.... probably too much for an early intermediate to deal with. But you can get a good view of it on the way up on the gondola. So if you think it is too much to deal with you can soon sail down Red 16 instead.
Red 25 is a great run, nothing really scary at all. You can really have a blast down it if you fancy.
Red 3 was quite icy in the cold on Friday and therefore maybe a tad more difficult than 16 & 25.
You can also for more variety consider skiing in Solden for a day or two. Again wide runs but larger queues at lifts.
snow report
@Arctic Fox. Thanks for the advice. Really helpfull. Only 2 weeks to go now and getting very excited. Looks bloody cold though so not suprised there is a bit of ice around. Thanks
ski holidays
Hampton I would definitely recommend going to Solden for a day. It costs little more on the lift pass upgrade (€10 IIRC) and the area has a fantastic bowl of really easy blues to cruise. Would recommend coming down in the bubble if it is late in the day and you're feeling a little tired though.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy