Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Speed Skating

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
I'm sorry I did not realise there was GB competitors in this so I have not covered it.

BOA NEWS ALERT wrote:
Jon Eley Skates Into 500m Quarter-Finals

Team GB’s Jon Eley finished second in his heat of the men’s 500m short track speed skating competition, qualifying for the quarter-finals on Friday at 6pm (02:00 GMT) with a time of 42.081 seconds. Teammate Paul Worth finished third in 42.936 seconds in a tough heat and therefore does not progress to the quarter-finals.

Nineteen-year-old Elise Christie, competing in her third event at Vancouver 2010, finished third in her heat of the women’s 1000m. Christie’s time of 1:31.363 was impressive given her difficult draw in the outside lane.

Jon Eley said:

“I was disappointed with the start but I put it right in the end and all that matters is that i’m through to the next round. I believe i’ve got a good enough start, I just didn’t show it today but i’ve still got it in the locker. It’s something i’ve been working on. I was really pleased with my skating as it was a really patient race.

“I’ve definitely learnt from the last Olympic Games, having a few days break is not normal for us so i’m going to go back and refocus, have a day off tomorrow and get pumped up for Friday. I’ve said all along i’m here to win a medal and that’s what i’m aiming to do.”

Elise Christie said:

“I had a tough draw in lane four in a hard heat. I think I would’ve gone through in lane one or two as everyone was about the same standard, but i’m not upset about it because it was a hard race and I raced alright, it’s nothing to be disappointed about. I got a fast time which i’m pleased about.

“It’s been good to get the Olympic experience in at such a young age. In four years time and eight years time i’ll be ready for what’s coming, because that’s when i’m trying to get medals and i’ll be ready for it and won’t be scared. I’ve found it amazing here, but it is hard to keep calm at your first Olympics. Overall i’m pleased with my results; they’re all top-20’s finishes.

“We’ve got the World Championships in two weeks and i’m hoping to improve on my 500m and 1500m results there. It’s all been good experience to learn from with such a young team.”

Paul Worth said:

“I had two pretty strong guys, including the reigning Olympic Champion, in my heat so I knew it was going to be tough. My plan was to get to the front, which I did, but the clash of blades at the first corner lost part of the edge on my left skate. I still managed to skate on but I lost a little bit of top speed that I would have liked.

“My preparation was as good as it could be and I did as well as I could in that race, so i’m pretty pleased. I’m going to go away, refocus and get ready for the relay on Friday.”

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Thu 25-02-10 13:53; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Watched both of this. Both did well. Elise was fairly unlucky with her draw- she did a good time and the canadian in her heat got an olympic record, so she may well have qualified in a slower heat. Jon did well.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Start time Friday
Heats UK 0147 Vanc 1747

Start list

Start Helmet Athlete
1 205 HAMELIN Charles
2 253 CHO Simon
3 244 SUNG Si-Bak
4 246 KERSTHOLT Niels
1 256 OHNO Apolo Anton
2 215 FAUCONNET Thibaut
3 226 HEUNG Tyson
4 220 ELEY Jon
1 242 LEE Ho-Suk
2 207 JEAN Olivier
3 209 HAN Jialiang
4 238 YOSHIZAWA Jumpei
1 208 TREMBLAY Francois-Louis
2 245 SILOVS Haralds
3 241 KWAK Yoon-Gy
4 202 GYSEL Pieter
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Speed-skater Jon Eley will carry the weight of expectation as Britain's last realistic medal hope in the men's 500m short-track event on Friday.

Eley was second in the recent European Championships and hopes to improve on his fifth place in 2006 as Britain look to add to their one medal so far.

GB have come under fire for their medal return, but Eley aims to change that.

"I've definitely learned from the last Olympic Games. I've said all along I'm here to win a medal," said Eley.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Results

snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
BOA NEWS ALERT wrote:
Two Top Sixes for Team GB Short Trackers

Team GB’s short track speed skaters showed their potential during some thrilling races at the Pacific Coliseum in Vancouver on Friday night. Jon Eley finished sixth in the men’s 500m, after agonizingly missing out on a place in the final following a tight finish to his semi-final. Eley then joined forces with teammates Jack Whelbourne, Anthony Douglas and Paul Worth to win the 5000m relay B final against Germany and finish the competition in sixth place.

Jon Eley said:
“I would have liked to have come away with a medal but it wasn’t to be my day to day. I qualified for the B final and came sixth overall, which is good. In the semi-final it was make or break and I went for it, but ended up going into the B final. I refocused and did what I came here for, which was to finish as high as possible, i’m just disappointed it’s not a medal.

“In the 1000m I went out and did a personal best so I can’t ask for more than that. In the relay we didn’t perform too well in the semi-final but we put that to bed tonight and got sixth place, which is great.

“The last three or four years have been really good, we’ve trained hard and we’ve come on leaps and bounds. The sport is always moving forward too so we’ve got to make sure we stay ahead of the game.

“I still believe that I can go to Sochi and win a medal. I believe there’s a lot more to come; I can definitely get technically better.”

Anthony Douglas said:
“We put in a really good performance tonight. The Germans were ranked above us so we were the underdogs before the race and we knew it was going to be a hard race, but we played to our strengths and managed to beat them.”

Paul Worth said:
“This is a good base to build on. We’ve got some good experience now and we can move on from here.”

Jack Whelbourne said:
“The game plan in the B final was just to beat the Germans. The tactics all along we’re to get in behind them and when they started pushing on we tried to mix up their flow so they couldn’t open up a gap on us. We played around with our strengths to try and offset theirs. We took it right down to the line.”

snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy