Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Good gear, bad gear.

Poster: A snowHead
Name & shame.

Good:

Helly Hansen jacket, lasted years, was really sad when it just became too scruffy.

Oakley trousers, still going strong after all these years, totally bombproof.

Bad:

Scott trousers, supposedly Gore-tex, but don't seem in the least bit water resistant & are made of tissue paper, which is a shame as they look good & fit well.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Utterly rubbish:
Special Blend jacket, fell apart in under a season.

Good:
Reusch ski gloves, have lasted over 10 seasons. Rather annoying as I have coveted a pair of Hestra gloves for years, Reusch ones have refused to give up. Laughing
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Bad: Timberland Boots. Supposedly guaranteed waterproof - they ain't Evil or Very Mad
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Crap: North Face Montana gloves - two pairs falling apart within weeks, and not turning out to be very waterproof either.

Awesome: Black Diamond Covert pack - taken shedloads of use and abuse without ANY signs of wear and tear. Avalung is a bonus too.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Spyderman, really? Mine definitely are.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
How do you stop the glove cutting between thumb and forefinger where skis are held upright in queue etc???????????????????
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Spyderman wrote:
Bad: Timberland Boots.

Oh! you're gay! I hadn't realised before...
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
mfamily2, Hold the skis so the edges go into the palm of the glove instead of the fingers, seems to reduce the wear a lot.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
clarky999, I now feel stupid cheers Embarassed
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Good - Snowlife Gloves from TK Maxx (£15), warmest I've had and lasted 2 seasons so far without any sign of wear. Snow & Rock 3/4 length thermal pants.

Bad - Rossignol trousers, fell to bits (split from crotch to knee) after about 3 weeks. Salomon Gore-tex gloves, lasted about 3 weeks.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
red 27, I have heard it said that wearing Timberlands makes you look like a lesbian (can't say I quite understand this as none of my lesbian acquaintances wears them, but never mind). However, as long as it makes me look like a lesbian with warm dry feet, I don't give a rat's @ss, frankly. NehNeh
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Good, North Face thermals bad smartwool socks. Socks great, thin, warm but get holes in them very quickly!
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Lizzard wrote:
Spyderman, really? Mine definitely are.

The first one's I had many years ago were made in USA and were totally waterproof. They wore out so I bought another pair, made in Nicaragua I think, they leaked like a colander. Timberland replaced them foc, but the replacements are almost as bad. I've done the extra waterproofing bit, but they're still useless. I don't wear them if it's raining.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Spyderman, got mine from Timberland's UK online store in October, have been fine so far.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Good

Helly hansen salopettes, have lasted for 11 years and still going (but a bit tatty now)

Hestra gloves: 2 pairs, the short ones will just not give up after 9 years, the long ones some one nicked 3 weeks ago...grrr

Columbia icefield parka: superb, waterproof, breathable, just got crunchy when v v v cold

Bad

Berghaus jacket: works well, does not get crunchy when v cold, just not very tough, inside thin lining is falling apart after 2 years.

Rossi bandit x: after 3 weeks when you shook them something rattled inside! and they went super floppy
latest report
Good: Ultimax/Wigwam race ultralight socks. Someone start stocking these in the uk again, please?

Bad: S&R large wheelie ski bag. Light, strong cheap, pick one. (Better: Gaffer tape)
snow report
Spyderman wrote:
Bad: Timberland Boots. Supposedly guaranteed waterproof - they ain't Evil or Very Mad

Agreed. In recent years I've had a pair of Timberland boots (my bad) and a pair of Timberland shoes (wife's bad). Both were cheaply made rubbish that fell apart prematurely.
ski holidays
Lizzard, Got myself a pair of TNF Chillcats for the snowy stuff and a pair of US Military Intermediate Cold/Wet Goretex Best Defense Leather Boots for the wet/muddy stuff. Straight out of Afghanistan, best boots I've ever had, no wonder the British troops buy them of the US soldiers.
latest report
alexchapman wrote:
bad smartwool socks. Socks great, thin, warm but get holes in them very quickly!

Try Teko socks, just as warm as Smartwool, but harder wearing.
snow conditions
Good: Haglofs
Bad: Mammut
snow report
I've owned two pairs of Timberland shoes in the past and have just bought a further two pairs. The first pair were worn on an almost-daily basis and lasted seven years before the sole wore through too much, and were replaced with the second pair that lasted another six years before the stitching on the front started to go. I've just replaced these (could've had them repaired) with a further pair, fingers crossed they'll last as long, and also got another pair (different style) for good measure.
snow conditions
bobinch wrote:
Bad: Mammut

SRSLY? All my Mammut gear, from ropes & backpacks to jackets, pants & even an inflatable 'hut' pillow. Have been excellent, and I abuse gear...

I think this whole thread is a little unfair. There are good & poor examples of stuff from everyone. Even Timberland, they call lesbians, 'woman in comfortable shoes', now comfortable shoes ARE waterproof, so ^ I'm confused.
latest report
Unbelievably Good;

Mountain Hardwear FTX Ultra Jacket

10 years. ~500 days skiing. 1 week Scottish west coast sailing in year 2. & other assorted stuff. Awesome. Can I have a new, identical one please?
snow report
parlor,

Mammut pants - holes all over the bottoms of the trousess. Haglofs have more use and no holes. Mammut said it was my ski edges. I was skiing the same quiver when skiing the Haglofs gear which I have gone back to.

Mammut windstopper gloves - first stitching fell apart around fingers. Sent back and restitched - took 2 weeks. Now fingers just falling apart.

It was expensive gear. I expected better. They have a good reputation so could be bad luck but 2 purchases twice disappointed. I won't be going back.
ski holidays
Agree with clarky999, about the NF Montana Gloves. Two weeks use and fraying at the finger joints Evil or Very Mad
ski holidays
Excellent
Columbia salopettes
Moah and Haglofs jackets
Lange Concept 95 boots
Norsant gloves
Rossi Zeniths
Volkl legends
Barts wooly hat

Trespass, good and cheap.

Bad
Nothing really OTTOMH
ski holidays
bobinch, mwoah, ski edge cuts in your pants? Aggghhhhhh, slag them off on the internet then. Think back to what you were skiing and when. rolling eyes

(then spend less $ on gear and get some ski lessons Wink or duct tape Neh Neh )
snow report
ssnowman wrote:
Name & shame.

Bad:

Scott trousers, supposedly Gore-tex, but don't seem in the least bit water resistant & are made of tissue paper, which is a shame as they look good & fit well.

With you on Scott. Avenger GoreTex Softshell - feels amazing, great fit, warm, looks good, one of the worst powder skirts ever made and pathetic zip which bust in three weeks (in -25C...)

More love for Hestra - 3 finger Heli mit just keeps going. Keep 'em nickwax-ed and reckon they'll keep going for ever...
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Good ; Icebreaker slalom baselayers, keep me warm on cold winter nights at work,
Oakley chamber jacket, own two, one black for work the other white camo, awesome warm light jacket that's built tough.
Lowa Combat gtx boots, super comfy and require no breaking in.
shemagh, unbranded. it's awesome, breatheable but keeps the cold off your face, probably the best neckwear i've ever owned.

most of the poo-poo i've banned from my mind forever.
ski holidays
awsome...black diamond guide gloves...mammut nirvana/ osprey/ grivel backpacks...any clothing by arcterxy, hagloffs, mammut, norrona

krap...tresspass, spyder, dare2b, all those red jackets ALL the brits seem to wear.. you know, with the white bits on!.... or any other range favoured by the peasants/ gapers...

okbye

Last edited by Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name: on Thu 25-02-10 8:14; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
snowpatrol, you'd best revise your approved list there - I've seen all that kit on people you purport to despise. Maybe you should go into Chanel.

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Thu 25-02-10 8:24; edited 1 time in total
latest report
Lizzard, ...i despise everybody...can you be more specific?

okbye

Last edited by Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person on Thu 25-02-10 8:40; edited 1 time in total
latest report
Quote:

i despise everybody

Best ski naked then. Oh wait .... we've all got one of those all in one suits. Laughing
ski holidays
Hestra gloves - dogs boll@x and dry warm hands even for a boarder Very Happy
ski holidays
Lizzard, and mine would be way more easy on the eye than yours....

okbye
ski holidays
parlor, ski lessons? Are you going to tell me next that the gloves went because I haven't had nail filing lessons or gripped my poles too tightly?

I made a direct comparison - the Haglofs pants hardly have a nick. The Mammut pants are shredded? If I wanted duct tape hanging off my ski pants I would have stuck with the luminous yellow ones ones from 1998.
ski holidays
Good:
DaKine Helipro 20l rucksack bought in Verbier 10 years ago and still as good as new despite being worn for every single one of my days on snow since purchase....
Atomic Ski Boots.... fit like a glove... erm... slipper.... dead comfy.... clip on in the morning and off at night..... never any pain!
Falke ski socks.... soooooo warm and comfy
Oakley Flak Jacket XLJs.... cool looking, great lenses showing up the bumps in virtually any light
Helly Extreme Salopettes.... had em for years... want em to rip so i can buy some new ones but they won't give up. Warm comfy breathable and waterproof
NIKE compression base layer.... warm well fitted and comfy.... never ski without it until spring comes along...
Eistar fluffy head hat... warm and cool looking... quality item in cold weather.
Atomic SL12 Race Ti's.... simply awesome edge to edge....

Bad:
Kjus base layer... cost a fortune and the zip went after about 3 weeks skiing... and the fabric "pilled" after 2 washes
O Neil ski pants... supposed to be breathable and waterproof but soaking wet inside and out... crap
Scott Gloves.... the sweatiest coldest wettest gloves I've ever had the misfortune to wear.... even got rid of em before the ski edges slashed em
ski holidays
Good:
Atomic ski boots fitted by Profeet, with custom footbeds and liner - zero sloppiness, amazing control.

John Smedley 'Richards' merino wool roll neck sweater, worn as a base layer under Skins compression top for 6 days in a row without washing and still no smell - love merino wool for that and love John Smedley for still manufacturing in England (best value at sale prices in late Jan, early Feb).

Versant Nord gloves, warm enough down to -15 C (5 F), start to feel the chill around -20 C (-4 F).

Forcefield Action Shorts with 4 layer Pro Armour - great for protecting skinny butt, hips & thighs when falling on hardpack.

Forcefield Pro L2 Lumbar Protector - excellent lumbar protection & support.

Skins sports compression clothing.

Schöffel jacket, apart from zip quality.

Bad:
Zips on Schöffel jacket. Zip tab came off main front zip after just 25 days use. Jacket side pocket zip never worked properly due to too much loose fabric inside the pocket catching in the zip closure. Underarm vent zips have no tabs so cannot be used with gloves on.
snow conditions
Good:
Smith phenom goggles, da kine gloves, TNF rockerfeller pants, giro lid, HH base layer and kjus zipped mid layer (incredible warmth considering how thin it is, and never seems to get too hot, dunno how they manage that but then it should be miracle fabric for the price)

Bad:
Columbia pants that fell apart after 3 weeks, Level gloves that didn't seem to be waterproof in any way shape or form, bloc goggles that give all of 5 minutes skiing before they steam up
ski holidays
Good, Shogun, Dynafit bindings, Mammut, Apple.
Bad, Bent stuff, foam stuff, dark glasses with low cat' factor, drinking shots, cheese.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy