Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Ski Boot pressure problems causing poor ciculation.

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi

Need some help, going skiing on Saturday and dreading the prospect of putting on my Nordica Speed Machine 8's.
Problem is I have a boney top foot and of course lots of big throbbing veins running across the top of foot.
The boots feel comfortable at first but I can certainly feel some pressure on the bones on top of my foot. After about 15 mins the numbness sets in and I start to lose circulation in my forefoot to the extent that I can't feel my toes after a while and when I eventually take the boots off my toes are freezing. I could hack them off an not feel a thing.
The hard insole in the bottom of the boot has been ground down to give a bit more foot height and I have conformable footbeds in.
I am reluctant to have the boots stretched further or the insole ground down more to avoid them going sloppy on me.

Are there any suggestions on the best thing to do to try and relieve some of the pressure and discomfort on the top of my foot? Thought about taping some neoprene foam to the top of my feet and then putting sock on over the top but this may make matters worse. BTW I don't fasten the two lower buckles on the boot.
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Check that the floating instep adjuster is riveted to the adjustable slot rather than it's secondary static position. Also, are these ladies or mens boots?
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
SMALLZOOKEEPER wrote:
Check that the floating instep adjuster is riveted to the adjustable slot rather than it's secondary static position.

Sorry, you've lost me there I'm afraid - what do I need to look for? They are men's boots.

Cheers
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
jazzhands, Ok, on the clog, the lower shell, there is a cut away, with a piece of plastic over the instep, riveted on, it should move.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Thanks, I think I understand. I will check tonight.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
smallzookeeper. If I understand this correctly then I am looking at the boot there is a flap that the 2nd buckle over my instpe attaches to which appears to turn up the shin slightly and then has a long slot at the sides which hinges forward and backward as I flex. The 1st buckle nearest the toes is just attached to the boot shell and does not have any give.
I read on another thread to try the boot without the insole in the liner to see if I still get pressure on the top of my foot. I am trying this now and although there is light pressure, it is not cutting off circultion - yet!
Does this mean the removable footbed in the boot needs grinding down a little to give more room on top?
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
jazzhands, I have had this same problem. Two things which may work for you, cutting a 'window' in the plastic on the tongue of the liner over the area of compression or a new custom liner such as the Intuition. Given your location I would really recommend you to go to Graham at Rivington Alpine in Horwich, he will sort you out. Unfortunately I think he is away himself this week and I see you are going this weekend. Best of luck with it.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
sarah wrote:
[b]cutting a 'window' in the plastic on the tongue of the liner over the area of compression.

Hi Sarah, thanks for the tip. If I understand you correctly do you just mean a "window" in the hard plastic itself and not all the way through the tongue and lining? I know I have a boney protrusion right on the top of my instep so should be relatively easy to pinpoint.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
jazzhands, if you plan on the DIY method be very careful

first thing we normally do on the tongue is to grind the material (the plastic) thin to allow it to flex and to allow the preeure to be around the area not on it, if that is not enough then we cut a cross hairs cut, then if still more required we cut a window in the tongue

you have to be careful where you cut as this can affect the way the tongue sits and if you are really unlucky you can destroy the integrety of the tongue and affect the fit of the rest of the boot
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
CEM wrote:
jazzhands, if you plan on the DIY method be very careful

Thanks CEM, think I've come to the conclusion that there is no point trying to make a silk purse from a sow's ear. I don't want to do anything that will ultimately prevent me from off loading the boots when the realisation finally dawns that they are just not the right ones for me. My feet get sore on top even in normal shoes so I have little to no chance in boots!
It's too late to do anything about it this year now as I go on Saturday. I will try to grin and bear it, but fear this is likely to be the last year (I have done 2 years now with no progress at all) if I can't progress any further.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
jazzhands, hmm, why torture yourself for the sake of the potential selling price of the boots? (which is what, 100 quid? - not that I ever managed to sell any of my used boots).

Bootfitter (possibly in resort - where are you going to?) or even DIY, it's surely worth it in order to enjoy your skiing!

(I should know, my boots took some tweaking and I've had everything from groaning with pain until "fit like slippers" sensation. And I have a similar problem with the top of my feet, needed one of the boot tongues ground and I still ski most of the day with an open buckle).
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
horizon, I suppose you're right, they have been stretched at the toe box anyway so unlikely to be of interest to anybody else - sooner right off the boot than the holiday.
I think part of the problem comes from having custom footbeds in the boots, but from a point of view that they are harder and thicker than spongey plastic that comes as standard. They raise the foot higher inside the boot reduced the volume/clearance on the top of the foot. I will try a combination of things while out skiing, no insoles, original Nordica insole and custom beds to see which feels comfortable - only issue is then how much control am I prepared to sacrifice!

We are going to Porte Du Soleil again, staying in Morzine.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
jazzhands, I mentioned recently on another thread that the head chap at Hubert Sports (not far from the Supermorzine) helped my wife fix her boot problems - she was very happy. He didn't do anything incredibly complicated (footbeds and foam padding around the heels) but seemed to be really keen to help and the solution worked. He doesn't speak English, though - his staff do.

(Another bootfitter had just said "these are crap boots, just buy new ones", which she wasn't prepared to do, especially as they had not been bought from someone clueless).
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
jazzhands, not too late, if you are staying in Morzine then have a chat with Keith who owns alpine sports warehouse www.alpinesportswarehouse.com he owns the shop is a good boot fitter ( a brit) and should be able to help you out, his shop is on the road just 2 mins form the super morzine left...come out the lift station walk to the main road turn right and they are about 150 yrds on the right hand side
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
CEM, Thanks for that, I'll look him up.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy