Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Converting to BASI

Poster: A snowHead
OK, so I'm currently an Anwarter ski instructor in the Austrian system, which is for all intents and purposes equivalent to BASI 2. I'm approaching the level where I'm thinking about starting the ISIA courses, but I'm not quite sure how to go about it. It's a pretty simple process in Austria - 10 day course, offpiste course, 10 day course, done. Relatively cheap too. Only problem is my level of german, and the fact the whole course is taught in german. This wasn't too much of a problem with the anwarter, which is fairly basic, but I'm a long way off being able to talk technical stuff in german.

Which is why I'm contemplating converting to BASI, frankly learning everything in English is going to be much better for my instructing. I know you have to have a second language at some point in BASI, but that's very different to learning everything in a foreign language. Problem here is, I don't want to go right back to the start, and blow £500 on a (for me) pointless level 1 course. Does anyone know what I would need to do to get exemption form Level 1? I realise I'll almost certainly havef to do the level 2 course, but I'm just not prepared to do level 1.

Also, could someone explain exactly what you have to do (coursewise/prerequisits) for BASI 3 ISIA? Second discipline, eurotest, technical/teaching/coaching modules... it's all a little confusing...

Any other advice would be cool too!

Cheers
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
clarky999,
Here's a link to the BASI web site. You will probably have to contact BASI direct to see what exemptions you are entitled to.
http://www.basi.org.uk/course_disc.aspx?did=2
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
http://basi.org.uk

basi@basi.org.uk

Why not contact BASI directly and ask?
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
To complete BASI Level 3/ISIA you have to do:
Teaching assessment (1 week course)
Technical Assessment (2 week course)
2nd discipline (any one from snowboarding, nordic, telemark or adaptive to BASI Level 1 standard, 1 week course)
Alpine Development Coach Level 1 and Level 2 or Alpine Fresstyle Coach L1 and L2 (three days for L1, 4 days for L2)
Common Theory (1 week course)
Mountain Safety (1 week course)
2nd language (which is now a telephone interview)
Child Protection Module (now an online course)
Valid 1st Aid certificate (at least a two day course)
200 Hours of logged teaching after you completed BASI Level 2

get in touch with the BASI office for an idea about exemptions. I'm sure a number of people will have asked them about the read across from the Anwarter into the BASI system.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
stewart woodward, SNAP wink
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
stewart woodward, SNAP wink
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
ccl wrote:

basi@basi.org.uk

Yeah I did that as well, guess I'm kind of fishing for people's opinions of BASI...

rob@rar wrote:
To complete BASI Level 3/ISIA you have to do:
Teaching assessment (1 week course)
Technical Assessment (2 week course)
2nd discipline (any one from snowboarding, nordic, telemark or adaptive to BASI Level 1 standard, 1 week course)
Alpine Development Coach Level 1 and Level 2 or Alpine Fresstyle Coach L1 and L2 (three days for L1, 4 days for L2)
Common Theory (1 week course)
Mountain Safety (1 week course)
2nd language (which is now a telephone interview)
Child Protection Module (now an online course)
Valid 1st Aid certificate (at least a two day course)
200 Hours of logged teaching after you completed BASI Level 2

get in touch with the BASI office for an idea about exemptions. I'm sure a number of people will have asked them about the read across from the Anwarter into the BASI system.

Bloody hell that's a long list!! Anyone know roughly how much that lot'll cost in total?!
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
clarky999 wrote:

Bloody hell that's a long list!! Anyone know roughly how much that lot'll cost in total?!

You may need to contact Gordon Brown to see if he can add your course fees to the National debt wink
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
clarky999 wrote:
ccl wrote:

basi@basi.org.uk

Yeah I did that as well, guess I'm kind of fishing for people's opinions of BASI...

rob@rar wrote:
long list

That's pretty much my opinion of BASI.... seems really really overcomplicated.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
You with CASI Dave?
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Quote:

I know you have to have a second language at some point in BASI

Allegedly. But according to their website, "However if you have a grade B in a foreign modern language at GCSE or higher you can forward a copy of your certificate to BASI by 1st January 2010 to gain exemption from this test."

So in fact there is no requirement to have a second language. Laughing
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Sweet at least that would be one bit out of the wya lol!
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
clarky999, CSIA NehNeh
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
clarky999 wrote:

BASI want its Level 3 qualification be recognised by ISIA (so it carries the ISIA Stamp), therefore the the list of things in BASI's qualification need to meet ISIA's criteria. As far as I'm aware the CSIA does not meet the ISIA criteria.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Austrian Landeslehrer does though, and it's not that complex. Does involve the Eurotest though.
snow conditions
clarky999, not too familiar with the Austrian system, is that the top level qualification? BASI's top qualification (L4/ISTD) has fewer modules (just 4: technical, teaching, Eurotest and Euro Mountain Safety) and is eligible for the ISIA Card not the Stamp.
snow report
No, Austrian system goes Anwarter (BASI 2), Landeshleher ISIA (technically it's split into two levels, but landes 1 isn't really properly recognised, it's just seen as halfway through ISIA), Staatlicher ISTD (top level of instruction, which you need to open you're own ski school etc) and Bergfuher which is an offpiste ski guide (I'm not quite sure how it compares to UAIGM or whatever it is, but is fully recognised to lead high alpine multiday tours etc in Austria at the minimum).
latest report
clarky999, thanks for that. I'd guess it's a national decision to include the Eurotest as part of the Landeshleher because I don't believe that ISIA require it at that level.
ski holidays
clarky999, It seems to me that improving your German might be the easier option.
snow report
clarky999, It seems to me that improving your German might be the easier option.
snow conditions
ccl, if all they want is a B at GCSE, I doubt if he needs to.
snow report
rob@rar, that's correct - though the CSIA4 does meet ISTD. I do wish the CSIA would add a course to gain ISIA acceptance, but as far as I can tell from what I've seen and heard, ISIA isn't that important? I find stuff like a "Child Protection Module" really hard to swallow, very health and safety-esque. Anyway, bit of a thread drift, and there's no disagreement that the BASI 3 isnt a more complete qualification - just personally I'm happy with how the CSIA trains and teaches.
snow conditions
DaveC wrote:
I find stuff like a "Child Protection Module" really hard to swallow, very health and safety-esque.

It's really not a big deal. Was a morning in a classroom when I did it (now an online course to do in your own time) and it gave food for thought, nothing more. For some people, particularly those who are not long out of their teenage years and perhaps have a bit less experience of the world, it could help them avoid getting into stupid situations which could eventually lead to unwarranted accusations of inappropriate behaviour. The course was not a bad thing to do in my opinion, so I see no harm in having it as part of the qualification.

I also have "Advanced Child Protection" and that really was very tedious (a boring Friday afternoon in Aviemore when I really wanted to be on my way home)...
snow report
CSIA IV meets the ISTD? Does it carry the ISIA card then?

I didn't know that Landeschilehrer 2 required Eurotest. There's definitely a race required for Staatlicher - what level is required for that then, I wonder?
latest report
I dunno, for Landes 2 it's a timed GS*, maybe Staatlicher could be test technique (slalom?), or maybe just with lower tolerances?

*Which I presume is the Eurotest, it could just be a national variation, then eurotest is in Staatlicher?

Last edited by Ski the Net with snowHeads on Tue 23-02-10 20:44; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
clarky999 wrote:
I dunno, for Landes 2 it's a timed GS
The Eurotest itself, or a local GS to a different standard than the Eurotest?
latest report
I don't know, I thought it was the Eurotest, people who I know who've done it/trained for it made it sound like it was, but I oculd be wrong.
snow conditions
ccl wrote:

What I meant was to improve the German and continue in the Austrian system as maybe being easier than converting
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Yeah I'm coming to that conclusion...
snow conditions
Please don't take this the worng way... but I have come to a conclusion...

bug
All
Snow
Intelligence

.... but lots of financial!
ski holidays
Eh?
ski holidays
Ah I get it wink
ski holidays
DaveC, ISIA is not important to CSIA as the vast majority of their instructors work in Canada. They don't want their instructors to work overseas as they want plenty of instructors to be available to work at home, so there's no motivation to introduce the courses that would make the qual meet the ISIA standards.

People always slate BASI for having lots of courses and being expensive, but these training standards are implemented by ISIA, not BASI (excluding child protection I think, but as Rob said that's so quick and cheap it's irrelevant). At some point soon ISIA WILL crack down on member bodies who are not implementing their minimmum standards, so if your governing body doesn't you will lose your ISIA stamp.

clarky999, yes I'm pretty sure you're right the speedtest for the top Austrian qualification is the Eurotest as Austria along with the UK, France and Italy are the "Eurogroup".

However, as for converting I have a sneaky feeling that BASI considers Anwarter to be the same as L1 (obviously you can teach in the mountains unlike with BASI L1, but I think the technical level is comparable to BASI L1 - I know people who've failed BASI L2 then gone and done the Anwarter to get an on snow qualification more quickly). So I think you'd have to do the L1 to convert (I think they make you go back one level). But maybe I'm totally wrong, so best just to call the office and ask!
snow report
DaveC wrote:
I find stuff like a "Child Protection Module" really hard to swallow, very health and safety-esque.

DaveC - the Canadian system has the same stuff in the CSCF coaching module. Sign of the times I'm afraid.
ski holidays
http://snowmediazone.com/the_zone/data/500/BASI_exemptionList.pdf

here is the basi excemption list, it is a bit old but at least worth a look
ski holidays
so which is the best, CSIA or BASI .... Little Angel ..... coat ......
snow report
rayscoops, skiboards.
ski holidays
rayscoops, i know you're taking the p* but it's pretty simple - Canada - CSIA, Europe - BASI. That's not to say you can't work in the other with the other (exc. some European countries with CSIA).
ski holidays
beanie1, I thought one taught a better technique than the other Little Angel ..... hat and coat please and taxi ....... Very Happy
latest report
skimottaret wrote:
http://snowmediazone.com/the_zone/data/500/BASI_exemptionList.pdf

here is the basi excemption list, it is a bit old but at least worth a look

So judging by that I'd have to go right back to the start, which I can't be arsed to do - will just have to keep working on my Deutsch!

Out of interest, how much does it cost to do all the courses for BASI 3 ISIA? Couple of thousand?
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy