Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Real skis for short people

Poster: A snowHead
I'm a short bloke at 157cm. I ski pretty aggressively and I spend as much of my time off piste as I can. Over the last couple of seasons I've ridden Salomon Guns - which I loved but the foam core just wasn't going to last, Movement Flames which I didn't like (too narrow and felt really soft), and Black Diamond Joules which I also liked a lot. The Guns and the Joules were both around the 163 length. Now I'm looking for a new pair of skis.

Any thoughts on a ski I can get in a short length (160 - 165) that will bring back the good days I had riding those Guns?

Thanks
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I'm 1.65 using 164cm Atomic Blackeye, works fine. I don't see why you shouldn't be ok with 160cm. If we have to put the extra effort in due to our height, so be it..
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Salomon Czar, Rossignol S7.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Bob - Are the Blackeye's heavy? Used to have some Metrons and a portable crane!

Parlor - I looked at what Salomon had to replace the Gun and thought that the Shogun would be a more direct comparison? The Czars look wide at 105 under the foot.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Tinyman, welcome to Snowheads, you can join the SnowHeads pixies, although most of us are ladies.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Thanks Helen, and it would be an honour to be a Snowhead pixie Cool

One of the great things about skiing the Joules was responding to the comments about 'Girly Skis' by launching off something scary. Evil or Very Mad
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Tinyman, Laughing Laughing .
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Tinyman, launching off something scary!.......what like a shoe box?

okbye
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Snowpatrol, Hee Hee - not a shoe box - couldn't find one with a kicker Very Happy
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Tinyman, lol

okbye
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Tinyman, welcome to SH.

What about blades?

Oh, I'll get my coat...
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Tinyman, Trust me the snowHead Pixies are not girly - we are as mean and gnarly as they come - we just appear in smaller sizes! Laughing Laughing Laughing
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Tinyman, kastle mx 98 @ 159cm, skied them last year in verbier off piste and bumps they were great , i am 165cm, have now brought kastle mx 88
as my all mountain ski Razz
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Something by Movement sounds like what you want...

Freeride skis that tend to like it when you give them a beating on a groomed slope.

They have some skis that are close to the shape of the Salomon guns and BD Joule i can find info about.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
bev bish These Pixies sound like my kind of people, all perfectly formed I trust?

Embarassed

Neilski Never thought about Kastle. I'll get on the net and take a look, thanks.

RonaldAfter my experience with the Flames I was sooooo disappointed because I really loved the whole Movement approach and philosophy, but I just seemed to overpower the Flames. If you've got a suggestion about which of their range might be good I'd appreciate it and would surely take a look.

Thanks for all these postings, you're obviously a nice bunch of people. Madeye-Smiley
snow conditions
Tinyman, I'm going with experiences by others and the pair of Sparks I skied. They handled me on piste pretty well...

That said if you overpower the freeride skis when on-piste, maybe its time to let go of the one ski quiver you had so far.

May I recommend you try a 151/156 Stoeckli laser SL for on piste?

(I'm 6'1/85kg and ski them in the FIS version 166.... everywhere... also in 2 feet of soft.)
snow report
Tinyman, a vote for the Volkl Bridge in 169 length - wooden core and as stiff as a GS ski, I love mine to pieces. I'm around your height and they work well on and off-piste
snow report
Dynastar Sultan 85 or Sultan 94 when it comes out next year? It's a lot like a fatter GS ski, ncie and powerful. Shortest size is 165, but it has a slightly raised tail too.
snow report
Ronald wrote:

That said if you overpower the freeride skis when on-piste, maybe its time to let go of the one ski quiver you had so far.

It was actually a couple of powder days on Mt Hood that were the last outing for the Flames and the first outing for some rental Guns. I loved the Guns so much I bought a pair and rode them to death. The Flames just felt like they were twisting and distorting when I rode them hard.
I never really saw the Flames as a freeride ski - only 79mm under the foot and somehow too light to cope with off-piste.
It's strange, (and really why I wanted some advice), the Guns and Joules are pretty soft and suited me fine, the Flames were soft and I hated them!
snow report
Tinyman, hmmm, as I walked back from the pub (I'm an hour ahead of you and seeking an early night) Movement Red Apple 74 seemed like a good idea. But I've never skied them.

But - anyway - what do you weigh? That's way more important than height...

Also check out www.ripnwud.com
snow conditions
Quote:
bev bish These Pixies sound like my kind of people, all perfectly formed I trust?

Well of course we are. wink
snow report
under a new name wrote:

But - anyway - what do you weigh? That's way more important than height...

I'm around 142 pounds (64 kilos) and a lifetime of kayaking, climbing and mountain running means that I carry a lot of muscle.

I think that I'd also need a wider ski than the Red Apple 74 - the Guns I'm looking to replace were 98 or thereaouts.
ski holidays
Tinyman, fair point, I was thinking the rando thing tho'.

Anyway, at 64kgs, I don't think you need to take height into account. I'm 165cms and 62kgs. My favourite rig is/are(?) 165 FIS SLs and second place 188cm, 93mm waist freeride things. My FIS 190 GSs have suddenly this year gone all lovely too and I may need to cherish them a little at the weekend.

I'm weird though.

98 I think is a touch too wide. Here's a weird compromise, find a pair of last years Stockli DP Pro, 174 (not the Pro+ tho'). Perfect. Simples. And cheap as it'll be last year's.

Or Mantras in a 170.
snow report
Icelantics? Pilgrims?
snow report
Tinyman, I'm a little taller than you, but a bit lighter. For plastic racing I have 155 slalom skis. For all mountain use 169 Stockl Rotors - 78 (I think) underfoot - do everything well, and for powder/off piste 181 Apache Chiefs (98 ? underfoot)... and for Tele 181 Xwing furys. Skis don't know how tall you are - just how much you weigh wink
snow conditions
ski wrote:
Skis don't know how tall you are - just how much you weigh wink

Thanks for all of these replies - the idea that I don't look at the length of new skis in relation to my height, but in relation to my weight is a total revolution Shocked
I guess there's a load of you old - pro's (that's not a reference to the Pixies who made an appearance on this thread) out there thinking "What a dumbass", but I could well be a wiser guy this morning. The quote above from Ski just sums it all up.

So the strategy needs to be 'Demo a stack of skis that I love the look of but always thought were too long'? Very Happy

That's awesome guys, sounds like a recipe for good times to come. Thanks again, you've made a short bloke very happy.
snow report
Icelantic still make the Nomad @ 156cm.
latest report
The Atomic Nomad Blackeye is actually pretty light, the nano tech keeps weight down (certainly compared to my previous Ski SXB5). Gives good edge grip, on piste, carves well, 16.5m mid range truning radius (@ at 164cm), Very light off piste, stweers nicely in pow. works well as a 50/50 for me.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Sorry to revive a dead(ish) thread but I've got a further idea that I'd like to check out with the panel Smile

I've been offered a pair of 163 Volkl Aura's. They're a couple of years old but in excellent nick and at a very good price, even if they are as ugly as sin!
Given what I've said about my skiing (strong and fairly agressive) and size (157cm tall and 63kg) any comments or advice?

I know that I'll be copping for a lot of commentary about girly skis, but then again this will surely get me accepted as a Snowhead pixie Twisted Evil
snow report
Hi Tinyman, a friend of mine was looking who sounds like a similar skier to you was looking at the Aura having tried the Mantra. Don't think they did the Mantra in a short enough length for her (she's about 5'3").

She's just bought a pair of Nordica Conquers (she's a big Nordica fan). Not sure of the reasons why she didn't buy the Aura but I know she was having trouble finding a pair to demo.

So maybe both the Aura and the Conquer could work for you?

I wouldn't wouldn't worry about the girly ski comments, just tell 'em to keep up Toofy Grin
snow conditions
Tinyman wrote:

I know that I'll be copping for a lot of commentary about girly skis, but then again this will surely get me accepted as a Snowhead pixie Twisted Evil

I eoulnt worry about that .. snowHead Pixies have loads of balls ... is the Aura the forerunner/lady version to the Bridge which is an amazing ski .... that I also own??
ski holidays
Tinyman, I have only ever read rave reviews about the Auras, check www.theskidiva.com . Just to weigh in on some of the above comments I have just bought 177cm Volkl Bridges and I don't think they are particularly stiff, I hired 164cm GS skis on holiday for a day and they were much stiffer, there is no way I coulds ski 177cm GS skis as happily as my Bridges. I also had a pair of 169cm Icelantic Pilgrims which I sold because I felt they were too soft although I am a lot taller and heavier than you.
snow report
Agenterre wrote:
is the Aura the forerunner/lady version to the Bridge which is an amazing ski .... that I also own??

Agenterre The Aura is the womens version of the Mantra. The shortest Mantra that Volkl make is a 170 which is at the upper limit of anything I'd feel really comfortable riding. If I don't buy these bargain Aura's then I'll surely be trying a Mantra but I'd have to be really impressed to buy them.

lynseyf. You're right about the reviews of the Aura - I can't find a bad one. I think the ski will perform really well, but hell, it was a bad day in the graphic design studio when the dreamt this top sheet up Shocked
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy