Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Possble Innsbruck trip - advice / opinions sought

Poster: A snowHead
Hi. As a newcomer here I better give some background first. Been skiing for 34 years on and off, now in late 50s (am I too old for SH???) My OH skis but not as keen as me. Took both boys to Aviemore when they were 6 and nearly 4 and stuck with Scotland for 5/6 years as we couldn't afford the Alps back then (90s). Been going to Flaine for last 10 years at HT (as indicated in other posts) and once at Easter too (I teach, the worst job for cheap family skiing). Always driving and always booking SC apartment on-line. Now both boys grown up and at Uni so they can't do HT. I intended to go to Samoens last week but my OH has an ongoing shoulder problem preventing substantial physical activity which had worsened so we cancelled Sad .

Anyway, to get to the point I need a ski fix (well I wouldn't visit here if I wasn't serous) and I've booked a tunnel crossng for Easter. One of the boys can come and my OH would like to come too but may not be ski-fit so wants somewhere with alternative activities. So I thought : Innsbruck. I haven't skied in Austria for 27 years (Soll) but I know there are many resorts within an hour's drive of Innsbruck. Thing is, are there enough resorts HIGH enough for Easter which I CAN get to and be on snow an hour or so out of Innsbruck. My son and I are competent but mostly favour cruising blues and reds maybe easier blacks but not serious off-piste. Your feedback is much appreciated and I'll continue to offer what advice I can in Flaine threads / driving to Alps (done lots of that). Regards.
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
How about Obergurgl or Solden? Snow-sure - mostly cruisy stuff. Oh, and you are of average age here!
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Solden. One hour from Innsbruck (and a very straightforward drive) and lots of high terrain (including two glaciers). It stays open until the first week of May, so a trip at easter won't even be late season.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Zillertal is 45 mins drive from Innsbruck. The beginning of April (when Easter is this year) is a great time to come skiing in this area. At that time there is still snow on the mountains, it's starting to go green in the valley bottom and is warm enough to sit out at the end of the day in the sun. The latest I've skied in Hochfuegen/Hochzillertal is the 26th April. The ski area closed because there was maybe 5 people skiing and not because the snow had all gone.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Kuhtai village at 2000 meters with skiing to 3000m, Stubai valley glacier up to 3700m, - both higher than anything else you have skied before and only 25 km out of Innsbruck.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
There's plenty within less than an hour's drive from Innsbruck. Really close by you have Schlick 2000 and the Stubai glacier where you will have plenty of snow at easter. Both are around 30 minutes out of Innsbruck on the bus so less in a car.

Also as per the posts above, Soelden, Kuehtai (way less than an hour away) and Zillertal (absolutely oodles of different terrain in one valley) all have high altitude or glacier skiing (or both) and are within an hour's drive. If the snow is still good lower down late on, then you can ski just a few miles away at Axamer Lizum and surrounding resorts.

Obergurgl is a bit further away so over an hour (to Soelden and then another 20 minutes up the mountain) but still do-able.

So in answer to your question "are there enough resorts HIGH enough for Easter which I CAN get to and be on snow an hour or so out of Innsbruck?", yes without a doubt. To top it all off, Innsbruck itself is likely to be warming up and could well be sunny-ish so those left in town are likely to have fairly pleasant weather for sight-seeing. I remember one April driving down from Obergurgl (late April) in the snow, and then sitting on the outdoor terrace at Innsbruck airport eating salad, sipping chilled rose and getting sunburnt as it was such lovely weather.

D
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Yeah there's loads of places, as mentioned above. You could also consider St Anton too.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Thanks guys, excellent info. Solden and Zillertal sound particularly attractive - height and size. Of course I knew of these resorts but wasn't sure of actual travelling time from Innsbruck. Not heard of Kuhtai but sounds good too. Regards.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Just come back from my 5 th year on the trot in the area ( 16 of us this year with kids) and within 20 mins of Innsbruck airport is Seefeld (1300m) Last year I went back with the chaps after the Feb family jaunt on the 23rd March for 4 days and the snow was better than in Feb. You don't need to stay in Innsbruck though - we stay in a Gasthof Spielmann ( its on the internet) in a village called Mieming which is 23 euros a night b & B - buy your own wine /beer from the supermarket and drink in the Gasthof, the Speilmanns love it coz there is no-one else there - can't do it cheaper. Its half an hour from Innsbruck - easiest drive ever and then we ski Erhwald, Biberwier, Lermoos, Seefeld on consecutive days with the happy ski pass which covers all resorts. We do a day at Serfaus and sometimes a day at Kuthai. The 1st 4 resorts are all within half an hour of the Mieming Gasthof. The only problem is the date you go - as I said superb last year at the end of March - but a Fohn wind in early April could kill your trip - especially to the 1 st named resorts - Kuthai and Serfaus would be your only options and they are more than half an hour away. Anyway Innsbruck airport is a real treat, a couple of big planes each day means I have been out picking up my car within 15 of the plane stopping on the tarmac - 10th Feb I was walking down the plane steps at 9.45 and were in the Gasthof at 10.58 having picked up the hire car. I did 5 years driving to Avoriaz before our Austrian trips - Austria wins hands down - extremely friendly locals and 3 euros for a gross bier beats the 6 euros for the same size biere in rip off land
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Oscarkat : Yes, I know about the Fohn whch is why I was concerned about going somewhere high enough so I guess Solden and Zillertal are a safer bet. But, assuming I end up going to Innsbruck I can play it by ear depending on conditions. Interesting what you say about French prices - we've noticed it's risen sharply recently e.g. Flaine apartments were much more this HT than last year, booking direct I mean (didn't go as said above). The downside is that Austria is a longer drive. I'm restricted to school holidays so flights tend to be too high. I was proposing Innsbruck as a base in case my wife hasn't recovered enough to ski so she has something varied to do in a larger town. The pleasures of getting older.....
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Best thing about being in Innsbruck is the lift pass covers loads of the nearby resorts, so you can pick on choose on the day depending what the snow's like (just check the web teh night before).
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Having just spent a few months working near Innsbruck, I can safely assure you that there is plenty of skiing to be had within an hour's drive (still plenty even if you don't have a car, as I didn't).

Nordkette: this is the only place with reachable by lift directly out of IBK (Nordkettebahn, near the Congress and Landestheater in the centre of town). Mainly off piste (though with a good park for snowboarders), a real challenge but great if danger is your thing.

Patscherkofel: next closest, good for a day but boring after that (it's the one with the big TV mast on top that you can see from the whole of IBK). The view of the valley from the top is awesome and the ski route down from it can be interesting. I know you're probably going to have a car with you, but if not take the J-bus up to Patscherkofelbahn or Olympiaexpress (check out www.ivb.at for transport details).

Muttereralm: awesome for beginners, dull for everyone else (I learnt to parallel turn here, served the purpose well). Accessible by skibus from the train station.

Axamer-Lizum: A red run paradise, and there's a fantastic panorama restaurant at the top. Good place to learn off piste. It is also now possible to ski over to Muttereralm (or somewhere near it, could be good at the end of the day). Accessible by skibus.

Schlick 2000: Awesome little place, just south of IBK (drive to Fulpmes and go up). Interesting range of runs, good for little bits of off piste, and they are also doing cheap lift passes on Saturdays this season too (though this does make it busy). Gets shadowy towards the end of the day. Accessible by infrequent and slightly unreliable skibus.

Stubaier Gletscher (glacier): Quite extensive glacier skiing if the snows a bit dodgy elsewhere, closest glacier to IBK.

Kuehtai: Very popular place, usually good snow quality, good for intermediates upwards. Rather large and open.

Those are the main ones close by, if you want to drive a little further, go down to the Zillertal (Mayrhofen, Hintertux glacier), Oetztal (Soelden and it's glacier, Obergurgl), Serfaus or Seefeld for an easy day. Innsbruck itself is a nice little city, with a pretty old town and a surprising amount of museums and such. The Alpine zoo is also worth a visit, as are many of the small towns nearby (Hall, Schwaz), easily reached by train. There are plenty of hotels to choose from, but beware as it's very hard to find something under 4 stars if you're on a budget, although it can often pay off to book last minute. Also, if you're hiring, the prices in IBK tend to be a lot lower than in the resorts, so be sure to get stuff there when you arrive.

Hope that helps Smile
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Hi billb,

I lived in Innsbruck for 2 years, and to be honest id say the only real advantage of Innsbruck is the shopping and so on for your good OH on her off days.

Someone said Schlick and Stubai are 30 mins away, i would disagree, youd be lucky to do Schlick in 30 mins and Stubai on the bus was easily an hour.

All things considered (driving time/lift time/general faffing around) i just dont see what advantages Innsbruck has over dedicated places lke Soelden or Mayerhofen where youll find hundreds of hotels within a few minutes walk of the lifts and have 100s of km of pistes to play on!

Cheers
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Hi billb,

I am in a similar position. My OH just wants to take in the atmosphere and air. We are going to Fugen this Easter. The Hochzillertal/Zillertal Arena will be where I and my 2 sons will be skiing. My OH is just going to go round Fugen. Mayrhofen is very easy to get to aswell. There is also the rail network that can take you to Innsbruck and Salzburg for a day out shopping. Also, for pure relaxation try the Erlebnistherme in Fugen swimming pool, sauna, spa- Can't find anything like that in the Uk.

We went to the Zillertal 2 seasons again Easter time it was really warm and sunny in the valley!!! But still plenty of skiing above.

I have been to Innsbruck loads of time as my Father lives there. All the above posts are spot on. Innsbruck - is it not quite expensive to stay there s/c? We always drive aswell and book through interhome or interchalet for an apartment. I suppose there are the villages in Innsbruck land with cheap accomodation but thi does involve travelling for OH. I think you cannot beat the view in the Inn valley looking at the Nordkette mountains- it's absolutely breathtaking! Stubai is your bet if you are there and no driving as you can use the free ski bus.

Have fun. Enjoy the air. It's the only place I can go to fully relax!!!!!! Madeye-Smiley
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
If you're still thinking about Innsbruck, we've just had a shedload of snow and the offpiste at Nordkette has been epic.
ski holidays
Just back from a few days in Neustift - a very pretty village about 30 mins on the bus from Innsbruck and the same from Stubai. The skiing at Stubai is great ,extensive, and must be snow sure at Easter _lots of blue and red cruises with the odd black
snow conditions
luckysmartie, thanks for that, all those resorts I'm not familiar with but sound worth doing and very close to IBK. But, as you say, there don't seem to be many lower/no star hotels in IBK.

shiva_71, I'd thought of IBK as I figured there'd be much more to do for a potential non-skier than the smaller towns and villages.

Dang, We'd normally go for a village but if you're not ski-ing there is less to do (unless you're into walking or snow-shoeing of course).

clarky999, That's great news Madeye-Smiley Easter is always a gamble especially below 2000m

pjd, Yes, Stubai will always deliver I guess when the lower resorts are suffering. "Lots of blue and red cruises with the odd black" is right up my street.

Thanks everyone, this is a fantastic forum, wish I'd joined years ago, but thought you had to be a real expert!! I've skied over a long period of time on and off (first put skis on in Soll in 76) but I'm just glad if I can occasionally slide on the white stuff somewhere. Very Happy Regards.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy