Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Tesco Clubcard for channel crossings - anything to be aware of?

Poster: A snowHead
I haven't done this before and wondered if there was anything I ought to know before sending off the vouchers to be changed into 4x tokens? I've got almost £40 worth of vouchers, so that ought to cover a midweek crossing in the summer.
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Butterfly, are you thinking tunnel or ferry? You can generally get a tunnel return for just over £100 if you go early/late or more sociable times for just a bit more. Especially if you book early.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Butterfly, We've used them a couple of times and I think the only thing that could be a problem is that some insurance policies don't cover you for the loss of the value of the tokens if you have to cancel etc. (Tesco have a travel insurance policy that will cover this but it might not suit your other insurance needs).
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
£40 cash will cover a crossing with P&O, multiple crossings offered at sociable times, even Friday and Sunday evenings. Might not cover midsummer stuff, but worth having a look at possible dates.

£40 of clubcard points will go a lot further on other things, activities at some places and other stuff - might be better to save it.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Quote:

£40 of clubcard points will go a lot further on other things

Will it? Like what, for example? Butterfly, I use Tesco vouchers all the time. I always book at the most expensive price going, for around the time of travel. 25% of the difference between a cheap crossing and a more expensive one is very little - and it means that you are very unlikely to have to pay more, if you turn up at a time other than what you've booked. It can be annoying, otherwise, to have to pay the difference in real money when you book in.

Also, rather than "sending them off" it's heaps easier and quicker to do it online.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Monium, £40 cash value of tokens is worth £120 on eurotunnel
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
pam w wrote:

Also, rather than "sending them off" it's heaps easier and quicker to do it online.

although if the original poster is going for Eurotunnel, you can't do it online... I am just in the process of booking a summer trip.

Another point that I have just found out is that you can't pool together points from different cards - my dad ordered £30 of eurotunnel vouchers from his clubcard, I ordered £70 from mine - the total cost of the journey was £100 hence I thought we'd be covered, but evidently we can't utlilise them like this...
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
cresswell80, are the travel tokens person-specific then? We have a mixture of vouchers on two cards Shocked
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
cresswell80, I think the OP was asking about swapping the vouchers you get from Tesco for the tokens you need for the ferry (which are the same as for a lot of other Rewards, though not all). That can be done online but no, you can't then actually book your travel online, you have to telephone them, though that's not a problem - always easy enough.

Butterfly, yes, I think they are person-specific - ours have both our names on. But if you ring Tesco I think you can associate two accounts. Club together, so to speak.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
pam w wrote:
cresswell80, I think the OP was asking about swapping the vouchers you get from Tesco for the tokens you need for the ferry (which are the same as for a lot of other Rewards, though not all).

yes re-reading the OP I think you're right! I was one step ahead!
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Butterfly, it seems so. I was on the phone with Tesco today trying to argue this point, but no-can-do.... if the cards are the same address, I think you can merge them, but ours aren't
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Butterfly, You can ask for the accounts to be merged (you have to give them details of any existing vouchers you want transferred to your selected account), I have done this with my account and my daughter's. They are usually quite helpful explaining what you need to do over the phone. Also, if you end up with more tokens than you need for your trip you can get the points/voucher value credited back to your account as long as they are still in date.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
holidayloverxx, they're worth £160 (4x face value).

Also if you have to cancel, you can just change the dates of the crossing rather than lose it.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Thanks - that's useful info about merging the accounts - I will look into that as it would make much more sense. Also good to know you can change the crossing dates - but does that apply with Eurotunnel? Their info says you can only use them to buy "standard" tickets which are non refundable and can only be changed for a fee.

I don't really know which crossing route to go for; as I don't much like sea travel the tunnel is attractive (£106 = £26.50 Tesco vouchers), but sea is cheaper - P&O is £50 (£12.50 Tesco) and the Norfolk Line crossing seems very cheap at £33 (not in Tesco scheme). Never been with them before.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Helen Beaumont wrote:
holidayloverxx, they're worth £160 (4x face value).

Embarassed I was very tired....
snow conditions
Butterfly, I suppose it depends what you normally use the vouchers for. Other than using mine for shopping, none of the other deals are relevant, and with four trips a year it saves us quite a bit. They will only charge you a fee to change if the new dates are more expensive than the old ones. They didn't charge me anything. I just rang and altered the dates. Beware that if you have 'change' after you've paid for your train, they no longer refund it to your clubcard account.
snow report
Butterfly, I've used Norfolk Line for the past 2 years and they are great value crossings... never had any issues.

I'm going with Eurotunnel this year a) because it's a lot quicker and b) just because I've never done it before! I will definitely use Norfolk Line again in the future though...
latest report
The only downside I have encountered is there is a quota on how many Voucher bookings Eurotunnel will accept.

Generally I have had no problems but one summer trip I had to actually pay Shocked as there were no voucher places left. If this happens just return the couchers to Tesco and they will credit, or as they have a longish life hand on to them for another time.

If going mid-week suspect you will be fine - this was a Sat morning peak hoiday time
latest report
Boris, I was told that was only when the service had been reduced due to the fire.
ski holidays
Helen Beaumont, Interesting - this was summer 08 so was during the fire affected period, but was not told that was the reason
snow report
We'll be going mid-week, in June and will be a bit flexible so there should be no problems like that I hope. The only other thing I tend to use the vouchers for is shopping, just this time I thought it might be good to get the extra value from them. Cheerful hubby said "don't bother, there's bound to be a catch " rolling eyes
snow report
Butterfly, there really isn't a catch.
snow report
Butterfly, tell him, no catch Very Happy Our clubcard points pay for three trips a year and would probably do more if I didn't fancy a break from Tesco now & then Very Happy
snow conditions
Helen Beaumont, Lou, I'll tell him!
snow report
Butterfly wrote:
The only other thing I tend to use the vouchers for is shopping,

That's one thing I defo wouldn't do - you may as well get 4x the value on a range of things... another thing I use them for is a nice weekend break in London (or elsewhere) - the 4x vouchers pay for a swanky hotel!
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy