Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

i guess even skiboarders hate salomon snowblades

Poster: A snowHead
personally i think they give safe users who do use something alot more stable a really bad name from everything i have read , thankgod noone got me into snowblades andwe have greame's wisdom on this site Laughing

"The harder you push yourself on those blades, the more dangerous it gets. That's the problem. "

"The major factors are the width, the binding, the binding position, the tip/tail size, and the foam core.

Width - The width of the salomon's are one of the worst things about them. They are very skinny compared to other boards. What does this do terminally to the ride? It makes it harder to float in soft snow, slush, and powder. It also makes for a slower ride because you have less surface area, so your weight is more directly pressed down, slowing the ride.

Binding - Salomon binding are notoriously poor compared to other bindings, especially all metal ones like the bombers, snojam extremes, and the old line bindings. The salomon's are made of soft plastic that, in my experiences and others, is notorious for pre-release at inappropriate times. I've had salomons come off while i was in the air several times.

Binding Position - Salomon doesn't center their bindings like most quality skiboards have. This affects the ride in many ways. One big factor is that it leaves much less board behind you to act as a safety cushion if you start leaning back. Get a little off balance, and you're on your ass. It also affects carving, and makes it much more difficult to ride backwards.

Tip/Tail Size - Being as skiboards are short, a high tip and tail is necessary to be able to power through some of the crud that is in the way. Without reasonable tips, you're much more prone to taking a faceplant forward, or land on the back of your head if riding backwards. Salomon traditionally has smaller tips than most boards, and tiny tails in comparassion.

Foam Core - No how far foam cores have come along, their use in skiboards is far from excellent. My first boards were the salomon SB-10s, and I broke several of them my first year. Foam cores just don't have the strength that wood cores have. At least in my experience, they are far much more prone to breaking, and tend to give a softer feel that doesn't let you control the ride as well.

These are some of the main complaints I have against salomons, and any skinny foam board in general, but until you ride other boards, you won't really have a feel for much of it. I thought my Salomons were great at first, until I got a chance to ride more quality boards. Also, there is no easy way to change the bindings on salomons that wouldn't greatly undermine the already weak strength of the boards."

http://www.snowheads.com/ski-forum/posting.php?mode=newtopic&f=7 Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
harriet wrote:
"The major factors are the width, the binding, the binding position, the tip/tail size, and the foam core."

Nope. The major factor is the high proportion of idiots who are riding them. I have a pair of Salomon Blades gathering dust in the back of a cupboard somewhere. On the rare occasions I ski them I do so pretty well, under control and without causing concern to other slope users. That can't be said for the majority of people that I see on these things. It really doesn't matter if they are blades, skiboards or any other name you care to invent for them. It's all to do with the people who ride them, and unfortunately these things seem to be strapped on and unleashed on the mountain by too many people who should pay more attention to learning some fundamental technique.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
You know I dont think I've ever seen anyone on blades who looks comfortable? They always seem to look like they are in complete fear for their lives.....

Shocked
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
harriet, we're back on the 'my Electrolux isn't a hoover' argument here again, aren't we? You can call them whatever you like, but they are still used predominantly by homicidal nutters who can't ski.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Lizzard wrote:
harriet, we're back on the 'my Electrolux isn't a hoover' argument here again, aren't we?
Yup.

Quote:
You can call them whatever you like, but they are still used predominantly by homicidal nutters who can't ski.
Yup.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
salomon blades are not safe really lets be fair! they are shite rolling eyes
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
harriet wrote:
salomon blades are not safe really lets be fair! they are shite rolling eyes

Not when they're on my feet. I can ski them perfectly safely, and at a fair pace when on piste.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
your in a minority if you like them they seem sketchy, you cant land anything on them without looking like a plonker about too poo himself ....
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
harriet, I didn't say I liked them, just that I can ski them reasonably well should I choose to do so. As I've been saying, it's not the kit it's the person riding them that makes the big difference. BTW, how many different types of blade/skiboard other than Big Foot (Big Feet?) have you skied on?
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
harriet, welcome to kn0bheads rolling eyes
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
well i have been doing alot of research , and after alot of friendly advice etc i have bought http://www.skiboardsonline.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=SBOL&Product_Code=snjm1075 not tried out properly yet as skiing the local snowdome is like meh and teeny weeny but will when in italy Very Happy , like every lady i know what i want and im not going to settle for less snowHead
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
What everyone needs to do is just calm down and buy a pair of these. They even ski like skiboards on piste but with real powder ability wink
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
arv, That's been taken in a dolls' house you snowlerbladeing woofter.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Swirly, Laughing
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Definitely not my house Laughing Not my skis either although they are definitely still for sale.

I did grab a pair of these though, just need the snow to take them out. Maybe they are just a fashion statement?!
snow report
harriet wrote:
salomon blades are not safe really lets be fair! they are shite :roll:

Not when they're on my feet either. I currently have 2 pairs mounted with Voiles and Rivas.

The -ONLY- shite thing about Salomon snowblades is the old cr@p pale green base ptex, that fuzzes up and base-burns in half a run.
snow report
harriet wrote:
is like meh and teeny weeny

If you were describing your snow blades with that statement I'd say you were just about on the money.

I don't even ski and I know those things are retarded. Although I did retire early enough that I was still champion of the household. Isn't that right Arv?! Laughing
latest report
It's rather entertaining that almost everything you complain about with the salomon blades compared to other blades works the same when you compare the other blades to skis:

harriet wrote:
your in a minority if you like them they seem sketchy, you cant land anything on them without looking like a plonker about too poo himself ....

Good to see you're finally learning!
ski holidays
RosigLOL, wink
ski holidays
I actually had my first shot ever on blades at the weekend.....

NEVER AGAIN!!!!

They were terrible.
snow report
shoogly, sorry, you obviously just aren't good enough for them. Get some lessons and come back to them Toofy Grin
ski holidays
harriet,

I thought that the worst thing with snowblades was the jester's hat wink wink wink
ski holidays
ed123, and the fact that God kills a kitten every time you use them. A fluffy one too.
ski holidays
I bought a pair of the original Salomon Snowblades (in 1996) and used them exclusively for 10 years. Why? Cos my kids were small and they were much easier to use than skis and didn't need poles. They were also much more fun to ski at slow speeds with my kids and I could do spins and ski backwards etc.
When I left skiing, skis were tall and skinny, when I came back they were short and parabolic.
Snowblades taught me to carve turns naturally. Once I got used to the length, I naturally made the transition to carving skis.
I have no knowledge of the modern Salomon Snowblade but the original, with the leg-breaker bindings were truly excellent.
Mick
snow conditions
RosigLOL wrote:
harriet wrote:
is like meh and teeny weeny

If you were describing your snow blades with that statement I'd say you were just about on the money.

I don't even ski and I know those things are retarded. Although I did retire early enough that I was still champion of the household. Isn't that right Arv?! Laughing

rest assure i will never buy a pair of salomon blades , what do you take me for?i do not want a death wish nor am i french nor do i wear jester hats! wink

for the record i will use skiboards but no 8 hole, foam core rubbish!

ed123 is this who you are looking for
http://youtube.com/v/0irnyE4ma7I

rolling eyes

i think if i had seen this i seriously would not of given big foot's a go

even though they are using SALOMON snowblades!
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy