Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Has anyone travelled with snowcoach ?

Poster: A snowHead
Hey (: has anyone travelled with snowcoach because I have tried to find reviews ect. but theres very little. Also has anyone got any tips for St Gervais.,? Thanks Very Happy
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I've done a few trips with Snowcoach (albeit I took the flight option instead of taking the coach from the UK). They are not bad as Tour Op's go imho - They do free guiding at most of their resorts and will bus you everyday to the best snow they can find. I'd use them again if it came to it.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
jasminee, we skied in St Gervais a couple of weeks ago and have also been in the summer. What kind of things do you need to know? Accommodation, slopes, town, apres?
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
jasminee, we've done Snowcoach a few times - by coach - but a long time ago. Was fine. People moan about the coach but you get dropped right at your accommodation and whilst sitting up all night in a coach is not a lot of fun it was cheap, and no more uncomfortable than sitting up flying to North America; something people pay loads of dosh to do. We didn't go to St Gervais with them, but we have friends who did, who thought it was good value. St Gervais is an interesting town - far more interesting than most ski resorts.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Went to Pra Loup with Snowcoach years ago when money was tight. Money stayed tight for a few years after that, but we never did it again... Flights are so cheap these days I'm surprised they're still going to be honest.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Search for a St Gervais thread on this site. There have been a number of positive comments. Real town, good skiing. good choice.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I had two brilliant holidays with them - take a look at this earlier thread http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=48586&highlight=
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
jasminee,
Used them once & would again; very good holiday although now they seem to have dropped 'doing' flights , they suggest you make your own travel arrangements if you dont want to take the coach. Not sure I would pay brochure price though!
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
As Anniepen, says, what do you want to know. Am I right in thinking that if you are travelling with snowcoach your accommodation is actually in Le Fayet?
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
We went with them years ago. Coaches can be noisy on the way out but you can usually get some sleep. Convenient for baggage too.
The Snowcoach hotel in St Gervais is down in Le Fayet. I am sure there was a review, but a guy I talked to last year said it was decent (i.e. normal 2-star standard).
You may be offered a choice of a day in Chamonix if the snow is bad in SG, though at present there is lots of snow all round. SG has skiing for most levels, but particularly good if you like blues and reds.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Thankss everyone (: The accommodation is in Le Fayet, can you recommend any places to eat that are not too expensive.,? Also im not a very experienced skier and on the weather forecast for SG it says its forecast rain and im a bit worried.. should I be? Puzzled
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
jasminee, 4 of us went with Snowcoach to Hotel Terminus last March. It is in La Fayet but Snowcoach bus you to and from the cable car whcih accesses the St Gervais slopes morning and afternoon. They also sometimes take you to Les Contamines, and there is a tram that goes up the mountain to Les Houches from next to the hotel (hence Hotel Terminus).

Snowcoach provide evening meals every night of your stay (or did last year). Coach journey was fine (though we picked up from Dover which helped), seats have adequate legroom (and I am 6ft 4ins) and recline. Take headphones to listen to onboard video/radio.

Really liked St Gervais (which is linked to Megeve). Slopes were pretty gentle and quiet but long and interesting and scenic. The run down to the cable car link to Megeve was a bit scratchy but otherwise the snow was excellent. Would definitely use Snowcoach again to this hotel. Only thing lacking was convenience of being near the slopes, and La Fayet lacked atmosphere (just a town down the mountain, didn't feel like a ski resort).

Friends of mine went to Hotel Terminus in January this year and raved about the place.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
There is a moroccan place which is nice ....and a bit different from your normal alpine fayre. If it rains, well, it rains - there is nothing you or anyone else can do about it, so don't worry because there isn't any point!
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Forecasts are not very reliable, but there is a hint that it is getting slightly colder again. Take a spare waterproof jacket in case you can not dry the ski jacket out. Instructors will take you to the best snow and on average you should get a few clear days.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
jasminee, Linds and I went with them to Val Cenis a few years ago (flying) and had no complaints. I went back again (driving) with a larger group last season, and were disappointed with the lack of help/concern over a complaint.
snow report
jasminee, I also did the coach to Mayrhoffen just before Xmas and had no problem on the coach out, decent meal on the ferry then settled down for the night and skiing by 10am on empty slopes Very Happy
Unfortunatly on the way back we got affected by bad weather in Germany and the problems with the Eurostar cancellations then arrived back to find Watford under a couple of foot for snow Shocked This meant nearly 24hrs late but the weather problems in UK and the delays dont happenn every week.
I would certainly do the coach again and fancy trying one of the Snowcoach French resorts.
snow report
Quote:

Coach journey was fine (though we picked up from Dover which helped),

This bit is key! The coach trip is fine once you get to France, but if you live in the north it's a nightmare. It took us 12 HOURS to get from Leeds to Dover by Snowcoach, via Sheffield, Derby, Nottingham, Birmingham etc etc. jasminee, as you live in the East Mids it won't be as bad but I would still check the travel timings carefully with them so you know what to expect!
snow report
Plake wrote:
Quote:

Coach journey was fine (though we picked up from Dover which helped),

This bit is key! The coach trip is fine once you get to France, but if you live in the north it's a nightmare. It took us 12 HOURS to get from Leeds to Dover by Snowcoach, via Sheffield, Derby, Nottingham, Birmingham etc etc. jasminee, as you live in the East Mids it won't be as bad but I would still check the travel timings carefully with them so you know what to expect!

Not done Snowcoach but the Ski Olympic coach and I agree with Plake, felt like a wasted day from Leeds, but would be great from Dover / London when you can virtually leave work at late pm and not waste another day!
snow report
Just booked to go to Hotel Terminus in St Gervais on 12 March for 3 nights. Anyone else going that time?
ski holidays
I've been with Snowcoach to St Gervais/Le Fayet (Hotel Terminus) a number of times and there's a lot to like. St Gervais - the positives are: decent enough hotel with ensuite rooms and a nice bar with large public area. Great ski room, locked and heated unlike most ski lockers. The food is ok - much improved the last couple of years. 4 courses and a nice cheeseboard ends the meal with plenty of free wine. Eating is very sociable with long tables and sit where you like. The staff are really friendly and helpful and do their best to put on some entertainment and as there's nowhere to go in La Fayet it's best to stay in and join in - good way to make friends.

Coach takes you to the skiing every day, collects from hotel every morning at 3 set times and returns you from ski area every afternoon at 2 set times. If you miss the coach you can get the bus home, but it's not that frequent, so beware! The guiding is terrific with 2 levels, groups meet up for lunch and you can swap if you fancy a change of pace. The St Gervais/Megeve ski area is lovely and unspoiled with lots of treelined pistes - great for poor weather, Les Contamines is visited once or twice especially on sunny days. Other resorts on the lift pass are also visited during the week so you get lots of variety.

The Les Houches tram which goes from behind the hotel is a real experience as it's so quaint and rickety with lovely views but the lift pass no longer covers this ski area and it cost about an extra E50 per day so we didn't bother this year.

There are sometimes surprises such as being taken up to Valmeinier to stay for a couple of days due to some problems at Hotel Terminus on one trip which was nice in that it was a new resort for us and we loved going over to Valmorel for the day and the Hotel was lovely, but we had to pay for lift passes in two ski areas which made it a bit more expensive and no down time as we returned to St Gervais on the Sunday evening to complete the holiday. It was great to have a 2 centre holiday but a bit rushed for a 5 day break.

On the negative side, the coaches are sometimes prone to breaking down. This is always resolved but it feels a bit chaotic. Better to fly really, and the transfers are very cheap compared to the commercial taxi companies.

All in all, it's a great company to ski with but you have to be a bit easy going and adventurous and 'go with the flow'. So many people return to Snowcoach year after year so they must be doing something right. It's great for single travellers as well as you will make friends quickly.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy