Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Why is ski half pipe not in the winter olympics till 2014? - schoolboy error

Poster: A snowHead
I don't get this and it really gets on my tits. Four years ago in Turin everyone was raving about Shaun White in the snowboard halfpipe and same again this time. What was great about that was that people who had never skied or boarded were excited about it, a whole new audience was reached and I'm sure it inspired many people to give it a go. I've got nothing against SW he is a legend but give me Simon Dumont going 30 feet out of a pipe and dropping in switch and basically just going way bigger and steezier than the top boarders anytime. The organisers have really missed a trick here in attracting a whole new audience to the sport. It amazes me really for such a greedy organisation that they haven't even seen the dollar signs but most of all I am p*ssed of because I think it is an incredible spectacle that deserves a huge audience and I know how much joe public who tunes in once every four years would enjoy it. What a bunch of muppets Mad Mad
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
couldnt agree more, though try Zavier Bertoni, Adam Delorme etc for gold on that one!!
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Gsyfreerider, Totally agree.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Yes, ski halfpipe in the Olympics hopefully in 4 or 8 years.

And for another equally entertaining spectator sport - snowboard moguls?
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I agree, and I also wonder why they haven't included skiercross, It is noticeably faster than boardercross and I think more exciting to watch. I may be biased as I am a skier but I do think that the skiing freestyle events are more fun to watch than the snowboard. There just seems to be more variation to there tricks and they go bigger as skis can go faster. I know that there is a limit to how many sports they can have for logistical reasons but they have so many riddiculous sports. Who actually cares about curling? And so many of the sports nobody has ever tried, how do you get into luge? whereas most (not sure about most, but a lot) people who've skied have tried a halfpipe which would make it a far more representitive sport that people can relate to. We even have a snowflex halfpipe in sheffield.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Quote:

snowboard moguls

would love to watch, and why isn't there a snowboard downhill event?
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
rambotion wrote:
I agree, and I also wonder why they haven't included skiercross,

Tune in tomorrow, you may be surprised!

And they do have a parallel snowboard GS too I think? Or certainly they have done in previous Games. Remember Ross Rebagliati (sp?) and his party where some people may have been smoking illicit substances?
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
MagSeven wrote:
rambotion wrote:
I agree, and I also wonder why they haven't included skiercross,

Tune in tomorrow, you may be surprised!

And they do have a parallel snowboard GS too I think? Or certainly they have done in previous Games. Remember Ross Rebagliati (sp?) and his party where some people may have been smoking illicit substances?

He set up his own snowboard brand called Second Hand Smoke on the back of it.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
It's very unlikely that the IOC will allow any more judged sports into the Games. They are are wary of pushing too far from the 'highest, fastest, longest' ethos of the Olympics. Though the biggest spectator sport by a mile is... Ice Dancing, and they're very unlikely to drop it. Slightly separate point, but connected: Men's snowboard halfpipe was second highest rating (as far as I understand to date), in the States certainly. The main reason the snowboard men's halfpipe took so many viewers was the star effect of Shaun White. In golf, events without Tiger Woods get half the TV audience of events with him playing - it's on the organisers. sponsors and producers' minds quite heavily at the moment... That half of the audience are people attracted to the star, rather than the sport; their value supports the non-core sponsorship.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
fallliner,
Quote:

Men's snowboard halfpipe was second highest rating (as far as I understand to date), in the States certainly.The main reason the snowboard men's halfpipe took so many viewers was the star effect of Shaun White.

Not because none of the alpine skiing has been shown live in the USA?
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Coverage has been... sporadic. The figures will take some normalising to get a proper result, but that's how they stand on simple numbers.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I believe it's because if they broadcast skiercross and ski halfpipe, everyone would realise you can go bigger, better and faster with bags more style and the global snowboard industry would shatter overnight snowHead
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
properjob, yes, that's probably it rolling eyes

Laughing
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
properjob wrote:
I believe it's because if they broadcast skiercross and ski halfpipe, everyone would realise you can go bigger, better and faster with bags more style and the global snowboard industry would shatter overnight snowHead

Yay!!! Thats right if only those snowboarding tw@ts had never existed us skiers could have had the half pipes and the
rails and the kickers in the fun parks to ourselves all these years rolling eyes
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Hmmm...Having just watched the skier cross after watching the boarder cross last week I think there may be something in that... Laughing
snow report
I thought skier half pipe hasn't happen in the olympics as the tour isn't as organised as snowboard half pipe so the foundations of the sport need to improve first.
ski holidays
Peter Ross, yes, that certainly had an effect but I think it might be irrelevant now. Mind you, the skiercross was good sport so maybe they like skiing again?
snow report
properjob wrote:

The boarders would just develop yet another new sport...

... how about kite snowboard cross? Very Happy
snow report
There's usually something to do with what the games can cope with. By adding in more events, there are more competitors, more spectators etc..... they can't just drop new events in unless they were planned years ago - i.e. before the cities bid for a Games and know what they have to cater for.

More competitors means that the organising city have to cater for more people and provide accommodation, adding a new event takes careful consideration.

From a cycling point of view at the summer games, some of the track events have had to be dropped with the introduction of BMX racing, the organising cities can't be asked to cater for huge increased number of competitors - 2 events that GB won gold in in 2008 won't be in for 2012 (mens and ladies individual pursuit). So generally if a medal is offered for a new sport/event at the Summer games it's because one is being dropped.

Winds me up a little though to think that so many medals are available for being able to swim at varying levels of inefficiency and minimal changes in distance.
snow conditions
I'd happily drop snowboarding from the games and let sking take there slots, hate the fact so many riders drop there principles to ride at the games. Boardercross was originally set up as a 'joke' event at the end of weekend festivals not a competitive event! The only disipline that shows the true essence of boarding is slopestyle, the day that is accepted as an olympic event is the day I turn into a recluse in Greenland! Skullie

Oh and not sure if you heard that skateboarding is being considered for the summer games, but qualifications will be held by the World Cycling governing body as skateboards have WHEELS! Whole thing is a joke, RIP boardsports!
snow report
As mentioned above I think these new events are also some of the most popular, I'd say Skiercross was also a most watched event. It would be foolish to drop them and then keep something like curling from a revenue point of view, although maybe curling is a TV hit!
snow conditions
Looks like ski halfpipe will be included the 2014 Olympics. http://www.sauzeonline.com/blog/category/mountain-chatter/
snow report
Welcome to snowHead sauzeonline!
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy